Ultimate space simulation software

longname
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Gameplay concept

19 Apr 2019 06:38

Stellarator wrote:
longname wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:
For example, a small probe can be made on the ship within 10 minutes, but a colony on the planet is built for many months or years (of real time).

A space game on the scale of entire galaxies that doesn't have timewarp sounds rather boring. I mean, I won't be buying a game based upon SpaceEngine if it takes literal years just to build some colonies to upgrade.

In all honesty, taking months of real time to fully establish a interstellar colony doesn't sound all that unreasonable. Bear in mind that this is a space-simulator, not just a space-game like Dangerous: Elite. Besides, you will have plenty of other things to do in the mean time, such as establishing other colonies, building interplanetary infrastructure, making interstellar trade routes, exploring stuff, researching tech-trees, etc. As long as the wait times are balanced with other activities like those aforementioned and even some optional stuff like combat, it should be a good experience. I would also expect terra-forming to take a long tome as well, since physically changing a planets surface is a arduous and immense task.

If SpaceEngineer makes his game a reality, then there should at least be ways to create multiple 'universes' or 'time bubbles' so you can timewarp whilst playing multiplayer and be able to sync with others later when you want to play in real-time, like with the DarkMultiPlayer mod for KSP. Otherwise, a game like this where you literally just wait for months to do a single task unable to fast forward either by time warp or using a cryogenic technology to undergo suspended animation won't interest much people except the most patient. I'm just hoping either of the two fast forward techniques makes it into the game.
Oh, and by the way, i don't want a game like Elite: Dangerous, which is basically a glorified walking simulator. But in space.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Speedademon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Gameplay concept

19 Apr 2019 06:39

Building a colony won't be done by just clicking one button. You'll have to design layout for each infrastructure. Think of how modern city building games(Cities: skyline for example) work. 
You'll have to explore the universe with your mothership and find a suitable planet/position by sending scout probes/shuttles. After choosing a suitable position, you'll start by flattening area, and building basic life support/communication/resource management infra. Next step would be building landing pads for the landing of much heavier shuttles which is essential for frequent colony resupply.
3D printer and mining/transporting building materials would be an important part of building and expanding the colony.
As the colony grows, you'll carry brave colonists by colonist warp ships/shuttles.
Hi I like fraid chikin

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Gameplay concept

19 Apr 2019 23:55

longname wrote:
Source of the post Otherwise, a game like this where you literally just wait for months to do a single task unable to fast forward either by time warp or using a cryogenic technology to undergo suspended animation won't interest much people except the most patient.

There are many games that are like this, who have a die-hard fanbase. I'm not saying that SE will be one of those games, but it is something to consider. Just because a game does not correlate with your specific idea of fun does not mean it will be a total failure with gamers.
longname wrote:
Source of the post Oh, and by the way, i don't want a game like Elite: Dangerous, which is basically a glorified walking simulator. But in space.

I don't think SE will be a Elite:Dangerous copy-cat nor did I say so at any point. I do however think that SpaceEngineer would do well to borrow a few concepts from that game that are popular with gamers and simulationists. Thing's like trading, establishing space-ports, ship customization and stuff like that. And yes, even combat. I know that the latter is a touchy subject among the fanbase here, but it could be possible for it to happen only among consenting players, and it would hardly be very extensive since you can't have an interstellar war if you are going to be limited by the speed of light. These battles would be interplanetary or in low orbit at best. Look at it this way, a little excitement from these skirmishes might alleviate any boredom you feel with space colonization :P.

Speedademon wrote:
Source of the post Building a colony won't be done by just clicking one button. You'll have to design layout for each infrastructure. Think of how modern city building games(Cities: skyline for example) work.

Yes, exactly.

Speedademon wrote:
Source of the post You'll have to explore the universe with your mothership and find a suitable planet/position by sending scout probes/shuttles. After choosing a suitable position, you'll start by flattening area, and building basic life support/communication/resource management infra. Next step would be building landing pads for the landing of much heavier shuttles which is essential for frequent colony resupply.

And limit my control over a portion of space by building my bases only in those far and few between Earth-like planets? I think not. This reeks of a cliche space-opera sci-fi trope. A more prudent and realistic  plan of colonization would be to establish artificial habitats and megastructures in low orbit, Lagrange points or in interplanetary space, built from mined asteroids.
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Gameplay concept

22 Apr 2019 15:44

I do like the idea of multiple universes where we can play around with the characteristics of each universe (like constants, forces, etc.) to see what the result is, but that might be a bit beyond the scope of SE, although if anyone can do it, Vlad would be the person who could!

default0.0player
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Gameplay concept

27 May 2019 06:14

The gameplay can be a space trading and combat simulator. Game mechanic like[url=https://pioneerspacesim.net/] Pioneer[/url] would be great. With the advantage of the SE's unique warp drive(instead of Star Wars-ish hyperdrive)

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Gameplay concept

27 May 2019 19:54

default0.0player wrote:
Source of the post With the advantage of the SE's unique warp drive

I think SE currently has the most realistic FTL mechanic of any game currently out there.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Muckytuja
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

06 Jun 2019 12:18

Hello!
Now that SE has a release date, may we know any new info about the planned game play features? Will there be any game play at all when 1.0 comes out? Or do we have to get the planetarium and the "game" separately?
Thank You. 

default0.0player
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Gameplay concept

07 Jun 2019 01:04

What about controlling multiple ships simultaneously, two ways.
1. Hire crew and let them to control other ships, you send commands.
2. Switch ships on the fly.

You can put these two together, if you are piloting a ship, other ships controlled by the "CPU player", if you switch ship to another, the current ship will be controlled by CPU

default0.0player
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Gameplay concept

07 Jun 2019 05:12

longname wrote:
Stellarator wrote:
longname wrote:
A space game on the scale of entire galaxies that doesn't have timewarp sounds rather boring. I mean, I won't be buying a game based upon SpaceEngine if it takes literal years just to build some colonies to upgrade.

In all honesty, taking months of real time to fully establish a interstellar colony doesn't sound all that unreasonable. Bear in mind that this is a space-simulator, not just a space-game like Dangerous: Elite. Besides, you will have plenty of other things to do in the mean time, such as establishing other colonies, building interplanetary infrastructure, making interstellar trade routes, exploring stuff, researching tech-trees, etc. As long as the wait times are balanced with other activities like those aforementioned and even some optional stuff like combat, it should be a good experience. I would also expect terra-forming to take a long tome as well, since physically changing a planets surface is a arduous and immense task.

If SpaceEngineer makes his game a reality, then there should at least be ways to create multiple 'universes' or 'time bubbles' so you can timewarp whilst playing multiplayer and be able to sync with others later when you want to play in real-time, like with the DarkMultiPlayer mod for KSP. Otherwise, a game like this where you literally just wait for months to do a single task unable to fast forward either by time warp or using a cryogenic technology to undergo suspended animation won't interest much people except the most patient. I'm just hoping either of the two fast forward techniques makes it into the game.
Oh, and by the way, i don't want a game like Elite: Dangerous, which is basically a glorified walking simulator. But in space.

Elite:Dangerous is a space opera, which use WWII warbird flight dyanmics in outer space.
Pioneerspacesim is better, which use newtonian dynamics and timelapse. Means the physics time is accurate, but the gameplay time is shortened.
For,example you use a sublight engine to travel from planet A to B which takes 5 hours to accelerate, 5days to "coast" and 5 hours to decelerate. You can use time lapse to complete this travel in less than 5 minutes in your computer, but the in-game flight time is still 5days and 10 hours.

samthesuperhero
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

21 Jun 2019 07:14

1. I would think about:
- introducing reality based ship design and building game mechanics. here KSP can inspire, but not copy-cat, - just I mean to have balanced (between realistic and usable) ship design mechanics. of course SE have to introduce science-fiction like engines, fuels, materials, energy sources, etc. bcs if basing only on existing prototypes no way to fly farther than Mars :))
- some consumable resources - mostly as materials for ships, and as energy sources
- what I would really like is maybe it's possible to create this mechanics on the edge between modding and in-game design? so some synthesis of "in game modding", so that people will be able to introduce their own ship parts for many functionalities, like design engines, design hull plates, tanks, cockpits details, etc. etc. - so that players can freely "buy" these parts from the cloud database.
In this way you can for instance set some physics / chemistry, etc. "laws" defining the basic concepts of technology (like materials for construction, like "fuels" and energy generation) - and some standards like standard docking sizes, standard sockets for parts, so that all community created parts are compatible.
If SE then will require to calculate aerodynamics, mass parameters, control coefficients, etc. then it can be done at server side. (as I see it)

2. If I'm saying about physics, I think only 3 things must be real :)
- mechanics (dynamics) of ships and ship parts in acting against each other (mass, momentums of inertia, Newton laws, etc.)
- strength of parts, and the design as a whole, I mean which stress the design can hold until being destructed
- aerodynamic forces (hydrodynamic??)

Latter can be "real" as we know only to some extent...
Now in 0.990 its already there. But I played, and see from the first glance that there is a problem with damping momentums. Rotation speed oscillations converge too slow. It is never like this especially with heavy aircraft bcs the period of its angular oscilation is usually much longer than control reaction.. So would be great if some effort will be put in aerodynamics.
What's with processes going over 1 Mach speed? Flow picture (and forces!) dramatically change (1 Mach is different depending on many parameters..)
Heating by the high-speed flow?
[size=100]Then - what we know about aerodynamics in high density environments (like high pressure atmospheres). Here we already come to some science fiction area when it will be enough to invent some "physics-like" laws.[/size]

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Gameplay concept

21 Jun 2019 07:57

samthesuperhero wrote:
Source of the post of course SE have to introduce science-fiction like engines, fuels, materials, energy sources, etc. bcs if basing only on existing prototypes no way to fly farther than Mars

but SE ships have warp drive!