Ultimate space simulation software

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

Troubleshooting and bug reports - SpaceEngine 0.9.8.0

25 Feb 2019 12:48

Qibli wrote:
Source of the post I cant find my Space engine files, I direct downloaded it. I also use Microsoft edge and I clicked in mirror 1 download and its asked what I wanted to do with it, I told it to download not in any specific location and it finished but I don't see it anywhere. I need help

Did you check through the folders in the bottom left button with the windows logo on it? Because if you didn't save it to your desktop it should be in there.
I am named after a work in progress...

Qibli
Observer
Observer

26 Feb 2019 11:02

hey so I figured it out I just downloaded it wrong and got it fixed thank you for your help though 
-MoontheNightwing

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

26 Feb 2019 12:53

Well then, enjoy exploring space! :D
I am named after a work in progress...

devinrayolsen
Observer
Observer

20 Mar 2019 01:05

After opening editor -> skybox export, then clicking close I was left still in the skybox editor.
Now, no matter what I do (change settings, restart etc.) I forever stuck in skybox export.

[img]https://ibin.co/w800/4aolesAQ89xu.jpg[/img]

- Windows 10
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 - 7820X @ 3.60GHz
- 32GB RAM
- ATI 8GB GPU

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Mar 2019 23:32

devinrayolsen wrote:
Source of the post After opening editor -> skybox export, then clicking close I was left still in the skybox editor.
Now, no matter what I do (change settings, restart etc.) I forever stuck in skybox export.

Press '/' on the numeric keypad.
JackDole's Universe: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

devinrayolsen
Observer
Observer

21 Mar 2019 01:08

Confirmed, that got me back to space!
Thank you JackDole!

Shevek
Observer
Observer

22 Mar 2019 14:32

Hello everyone,

a while ago I got a problem with added and changed engine exhaust effects through the object editor ingame and posted it here.

[quote]I have an issue with engine exhaust effects for ships built with the spacecraft editor (the download version, for which there is also the online editor) in space engine 0.9.8.0. I searched the forum, the threads, the known bugs etc for it but did not find it.[/quote]

After a while checking back turns out, nobody had so far answered. Nevertheless, I found my problem:
I just did not assinged the new created effects to specific ship parts (it was a vessel created with the ship editor). Means I did'nt understood quite right the instructions in the manual. But now I'm familiar with it.

So, sorry for spamming
I'm out (back in space again)

anotherlurker
Observer
Observer

10 Apr 2019 13:17

Hi, i'm having trouble with black holes, when i'm entering them the outside world looks all wrong, it's blue shifted as it should be but i only see it in a square box that moves when i move and gets smaller as i get further in. It's like the black hole warps my physical monitor as i get into it. Cant post picture here for some reason. In earlier versions it worked as it should (drivers are all up to date etc.).

Also, when i enter options and leave again the side menus disappear.

Thx for advice.

AlexanderVB
Observer
Observer

15 Apr 2019 03:47

I don't know if this is intentional or that it's just me that's noticing it, but the velocity of objects with parabolic orbits don't really make any sense.

They get slower the closer they are to the primary object. Furthermore, if they have a very low perihelion, they can reach extremely abnormal amounts of speed...

It all started when I decided to add P2002 P2 (SOHO) as an addon, which has an eccentricity of 1 as an assumption and a perihelion extremely close to the Sun's surface. It reached perihelion in 2002, so logically, it shouldn't be too far away, especially when compared to earlier hyperbolic comets. However, today, it's actually 0.07 ly from the Sun, farther than every single other comet in the default code by a huge margin! It covered the distance between the Sun and Earth in just over an hour, giving an average velocity of almost 1/8th the speed of light!

I'm guessing that this is because of the fact that an eccentricity of exactly 1 is practically impossible to exist, but I'm not sure...

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

15 Apr 2019 15:26

Did you go back and check that it was actually where it was supposed to be at its time of perihelion? Did you watch it traverse that distance in that short of time, or did you only look at where it is today?
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8 GHz, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

AlexanderVB
Observer
Observer

16 Apr 2019 06:25

Well, I was the one that set the mean anomaly to 0 (exactly on the periapsis) during the perihelion date, so obviously it did reach perihelion on the supposed date.

As for the "covered the distance between the Sun and Earth in just over an hour," I took notes on the two different times: when the object is 1 AU from the Sun and when it is at its perihelion (which is 0.0049 AU from the center of the Sun). The difference, as I said, is just over an hour.

Oh, and also, when fast-forwarding in time (not too much), even though literally every single other object (including hyperbolic comets) looked almost completely still, this comet was still moving very fast.

I used JPL's Small-Body Database as the source of the information regarding its orbital parameters:
https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2002%20P2

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

17 Apr 2019 00:25

AlexanderVB wrote:
Source of the post I'm guessing that this is because of the fact that an eccentricity of exactly 1 is practically impossible to exist, but I'm not sure...

Would you like to share your P2002 P2 (SOHO) addon? Are you using SE 0980e?
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

AlexanderVB
Observer
Observer

17 Apr 2019 10:06

Mosfet wrote:
AlexanderVB wrote:
Source of the post I'm guessing that this is because of the fact that an eccentricity of exactly 1 is practically impossible to exist, but I'm not sure...

Would you like to share your P2002 P2 (SOHO) addon? Are you using SE 0980e?

Sure thing!
Comet "P2002 P2 (SOHO)"
{
 ParentBody     "Sun"
 Radius          0.0007
 Orbit
 {
 Epoch           2452497.91
 PericenterDist  0.0049
 Eccentricity    1
 Inclination     143.87
 AscendingNode   6.38
 ArgOfPericen    85.75
 MeanAnomaly     0
 }
}

One thing that I would like to point out (even though it's kinda irrelevant to the problem) is the "Radius" parameter.

It's a bit of a long explanation, but basically, having an object (especially asteroids and comets) in Space Engine without a known size can be problematic. I once added a comet without mentioning "Radius" nor "AbsMagn" (which can also be used as an alternative to find the size, given a geometric albedo that is already assumed by Space Engine) because JPL didn't have any physical parameters about it, and guess what: It turned into a gas giant, despite the fact that I already labeled it as a comet. Sure, I can just say "Radius 0," but the information on the left will look a bit messy. So, I decided to put 0.0007 (0.7 meters) for irrelevant reasons.

Regarding the SE verson that I have... not really. I'm currently still using the regular SE 0.9.8.0, without the "E"...

snyper1188
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

20 Apr 2019 15:30

Can anyone tell me why that when the game crashes, all of my ships that WERE in stable orbits and ships DOCKED with said ships in orbit are suddenly no longer docked, and the orbiting ships are hundreds of thousands of kilometers away?  Super frustrating to have to re-do all of my orbits and docked ships...  Version 0.9.8.0 Beta

Jimigunne
Observer
Observer

20 Apr 2019 15:55

Every time I try to install SE 0980, the installer runs until file ind-db.cfg, and locks up. I am running Windows 10 64 bit. We downloaded the installer a second time from utorrent, but have the same problem.