Ultimate space simulation software

Mr. Abner
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

30 Jan 2019 17:52

Harge wrote:
I use wireless and it never failed on me.
What do your setups and computers look like?

I imagine there is very little ATC, aircraft, or police radio at the South Pole... ;)

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

A very PC discussion

31 Jan 2019 04:36

Stellarator wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post One of the powerful radio sources seems to be police radio, I get their transmissions on a regular basis and sometimes I can even pick them up on my cellphone!

That's always neat. I bet in NYC and Long Island there would be a bunch of interesting stuff in the police transmissions 8-).

Yes! and lately with all the arctic outbreaks a lot of fire station stuff too (I live two blocks from them so they get picked up easily) with a lot of fires going on in the cold dry and windy weather!

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

A very PC discussion

01 Feb 2019 00:43

Here in the Rockies it's mostly frost-bite and other related conditions to the cold. Usually at this time of the year we'd also get calls due to people slipping or road-accidents on the ice, but as you said it's too dry for that type of activity.
Futurum Fusionem

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

01 Feb 2019 00:58

What do you guys reckon. Vega FE for less than 400 USD used? or wait for radeon 7?  It might be the same frames per dollar even if it is more costly but if its not as fast as they claim the used FE will still be better bang for buck.  Bother cards sport 16GB of ram and are better value at the performance level than nvidia counterparts.  

Harge
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

A very PC discussion

01 Feb 2019 15:00

vlad01 wrote:
What do you guys reckon. Vega FE for less than 400 USD used? or wait for radeon 7?  It might be the same frames per dollar even if it is more costly but if its not as fast as they claim the used FE will still be better bang for buck.  Bother cards sport 16GB of ram and are better value at the performance level than nvidia counterparts.  

Go with Vega FE for less then 400 USD used.
I knew I was an idiot in the past, I have toned down since then.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

04 Feb 2019 18:08

Good board layout.  Would be good and easy with a full cover water block.

interesting some of the VRM components are missing. I suspect they are populated fully on the MI60 compute cards as these are a slightly lower power and cut down version of it.

The 4 stacks of HBM2 gets me excited! bandwidth and capacity ftw!

I can't wait for the reviews, in particular the OCing results as i suspect it should be a lot different on the frequency/voltage curve being 1. TSMC and not GoSlo, 2. 7nm process.

I wonder if it can hit 2Ghz?  stock boost is 1800Mhz apparently.  Given nvidia cards can go over 2Ghz from a factory spec of 1700 odd Mhz on TSMC I think there is a good chance.  2 more days and the reviews will be up.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

A very PC discussion

04 Feb 2019 18:35

vlad01 wrote:
Source of the post Given nvidia cards can go over 2Ghz from a factory spec of 1700 odd Mhz on TSMC I think there is a good chance.

That would be nice, hopefully in the next year AMD gets out some competing ray tracing hardware.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

04 Feb 2019 19:35

They already had ray tracing via their compute capabilities but seems no one acknowledges it.  AMD have been offering ray tracing in the pro segment for many years before nvidia made rtx and even offer existing ray traced audio in games though its the same issue as DXR, hardly any devs ended up using it. But ray tracing rendering is common place in the pro segment and AMD does well there.

I know AMD have been working to bring ray tracing to gaming via MS direct ML and already have it via OpenCL in the pro segment so i feel that they will implement it that will take advantage of their existing compute architecture where as nvidia had to invent dedicated hardware for it.  It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I think it will be quite a few years before any of it from both teams will become a staple in games though, just not relevant or useful at the present time and near future.

Anyway it's exciting to see large capacity cards finally hit the market that isn't worth the same as a used car like the titan rtx

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer
Topic Author

A very PC discussion

04 Feb 2019 19:55

vlad01 wrote:
Source of the post They already had ray tracing via their compute capabilities but seems no one acknowledges it.

I am aware, its not really in consumer grade tech yet, also the Nvidia method using dedicated hardware combined with neural net hardware is vastly superior in render times using the optimized algorithms and it is only getting better.

AMD has a ways to go to catch up to that, Nvidia has a clear advantage with their dedicated and adaptive hardware.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

04 Feb 2019 20:30

Good interview here and they actually talk about the future of ray tracing regarding much of what we already discussed.

Harge
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

A very PC discussion

11 Feb 2019 14:33

What is the ugliest pc case you have ever seen?
I knew I was an idiot in the past, I have toned down since then.

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

11 Feb 2019 20:07

Probably alienware PCs. but most cases have been ugly and very few decent looking ones as long as I can remember, that's my option anyway. 

Best looking case hands down was the prototype Calyos NSG-S0 but still vaporware at this stage and I doubt it will ever hit production. Shame really.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

A very PC discussion

12 Feb 2019 00:15

Harge wrote:
Source of the post What is the ugliest pc case you have ever seen?

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all, but this JPAC AUBLUE midtower looks just... wrong (and vaguely phallic...). Don't open the spoiler if you value your sanity):

► Show Spoiler

I think I might be banned after posting this hideous piece of PC heresy on the forum :oops:.
Futurum Fusionem

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

A very PC discussion

12 Feb 2019 03:22

hahaha

NathanKerbonaut
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

A very PC discussion

12 Feb 2019 05:18