Ultimate space simulation software

Yuno
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

15 Nov 2017 21:55

theres patience, then theres being told something & the opposite happens. we were told "with such certainty" that SE will be on steam for THE PUBLIC, this year. ya the years not done yet, but hope is slipping.. but by all means prove me wrong.
its a thing now, when devs say something, expect it taking triple the time at best.
Maybe we should remember that SE isn't a commercial product. None of us bought anything, and none of us have any rights to a job that SpaceEngineer is sharing with us for his choice and generosity (He is not in debt with us, but, i think, the opposite). Anyone who wants can contribute, of course, but SE is not yet a commercial operation and if you look at the home page you can see that at present the funds are only about $200 for month. Definitely too little money to claim speed and punctuality from a single person...

Stealing words to another: "Ask not what the developer can do for you, ask what you can do for the developer" :-P
the whole "its free u have no right to complain etc" is old, dead, untrue & the list goes on, also many people dev software completely on their own time with 0 income so.. ill just say that & end that before that end up out of hand or something..
it would be more sensible & even help the devs if it was released as is in svn snapshots like many "free" software do, get constant feedback let users help fix the software, or at least have that available to donors that donate or have a history of a donation to help weed out the children, trolls etc. but obviously keeping the current internal versions handed out to the couple that get pet's treatment is obviously better in their eyes.. not even just the latest version, the steam one too. that is "coming this year for sure" they said.
clearly its in a state where it can run & function, to take screenshots, videos etc.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

16 Nov 2017 03:28

but obviously keeping the current internal versions handed out to the couple that get pet's treatment is obviously better in their eyes..
There's having valid criticisms and explaining them in a calm and reasonable manner, and then there's insults and condescension. You're firmly on the wrong side of that line.
clearly its in a state where it can run & function, to take screenshots, videos etc.
That is hardly a complete list of criteria for determining whether a product is release-ready.

Also, proper text formatting (like capitalization, punctuation, etc.) would go a long way towards getting others to take you seriously, because honestly it's hard to read what you write, and it comes off as a lazy entitled and poorly thought out rage post.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

16 Nov 2017 03:41

Its not that unrealistic. If you watch the video, the image is taken from a higher point, probably an ice cliff, with a lot of zoom. It is unrealistic in one aspect. Io would look a bit bigger than that in the horizon and Europa's surface is not that blue and reflective
Any surface is reflective at such small angles. Sometimes it is called the Fresnel effect. The effect is responsible for mirages.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

16 Nov 2017 04:46

Yuno and others, you are taking this out of proportion. I'd like to point out something as well.

SE Team members never said once "it's coming this year for sure". This interpretation of what was said came out from somewhere else. At most they said their goal is to possibly publish before the end of the year, which is on the other side of the galaxy of "coming this year for sure".
SE Team members are the source you should rely on these matters, obviously, but they are rather specific and careful about what they say, there's no room for misinterpretation.

In my figures the "couple that get pet's treatment" consist of more than a hundred beta testers, counting the steam version too, where as far as I know they also gathered people with VR hardware, because apparently VR is the thing nowadays.

It would be sensible to let everybody use the latest build, after all before 0980 it was indeed like that.
Yet for the next release a different pattern has been chosen. I don't know why, even if I have an idea about that. I'm sure it's safe to say there was a solid reason for this choice, other than "let's be unreasonable and make people complain".

You're right, many people are developing software on their own time, all alone, and their users get what they get.
If they complain they want a new feature, devs can take it into account or decide it's not feasible, or out of the scope of the program.
If they complain they want to see the new version, devs usually do that when it's ready according their target for the next release.
If they complain for a bug, devs ask for proper information to look into it.
An interested party is still waiting for more information on supposed SE 0980 bugs (namely, se.log screenshots and/or hardware specifications, as specified in the appointed thread) of countless people that come here, write something like "can't load" "it crashes" "can't see it", then they never reply again. I guess that's not helping.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

16 Nov 2017 09:52

Any surface is reflective at such small angles. Sometimes it is called the Fresnel effect. The effect is responsible for mirages.
Er... wait. Mirages depend on the presence of air and temperature gradients, since they result from differences in the index of refraction in the air light has to go through to reach one's eyes (or cameras), which are caused by said gradients. Other fluids, conceivably, can also produce mirages, but as far as I know a fluid is needed; it's not just a superficial phenomenon. You can't have mirages in airless bodies.
My addons are to be found at JCandeias' Ships

Current count: 2

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

16 Nov 2017 11:29

the whole "its free u have no right to complain etc" is old, dead, untrue & the list goes on
If you prefer you can complain as much as you like, but SE remains a software owned by Spaceengineer and each choice is his own, whether you like it or not. He decides when and what and how to release.
Collaboration between developer and users is definitely useful, but is the software owner who decides, not just by law but by the simple fact that he is the one who writes the program.
if you think your ideas are better, you can propose them politely, but it is not your decision to consider them or not.

So, if you like you can also complain that the sun sets every night, but that will not make it less true...

Nerpson
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

16 Nov 2017 13:11

Great job on reflections Vladimir! I have a question about them. Will it be possible to have reflections of an object on itself? I mean, for example, take Endurance from Interstellar. If it were reflective, we should see on some faces reflections of itself due to its odd shape. Will that be possible?
PS: I think someone should split the thread and move the complains messages anywhere else.

Eliam
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

16 Nov 2017 13:15

Great job on reflections Vladimir! I have a question about them. Will it be possible to have reflections of an object on itself? I mean, for example, take Endurance from Interstellar. If it were reflective, we should see on some faces reflections of itself due to its odd shape. Will that be possible?
PS: I think someone should split the thread and move the complains messages anywhere else.
Given the fact that Vladimir presented the reflections on a spaceship I would say that's the case.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

16 Nov 2017 21:44

Will it be possible to have reflections of an object on itself?
No, not given the current implementation. That would require a more complex method.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

16 Nov 2017 21:58

A "mirage" created by the Fresnel effect within this old lady's glasses. Air in between is not what is causing the optical illusion.
Hillary Fresnel Prisom Glasses.png
Hillary Fresnel Prisom Glasses.png (269.92 KiB) Viewed 7212 times
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

17 Nov 2017 14:41

A "mirage" created by the Fresnel effect within this old lady's glasses. Air in between is not what is causing the optical illusion.
That's a lens. Light crosses it, creating prismatic effects (and there may also be some refraction index differences involved; I don't know what kind of optics Hillary Clinton needs, but I do know of complex multilayered lenses). That too is most definitely not a superficial effect. So unless you can show me a planet made of glass or other similarly transparent solids, and I'd wager pretty strongly against you being able to (hey, what's life without taking such wild risks, amirite? :D), I think that's pretty irrelevant to this discussion.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

18 Nov 2017 03:46

So unless you can show me a planet made of glass or other similarly transparent solids,
Glass planet ...
scr00042.png
(Sorry, I could not resist.)
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

18 Nov 2017 04:59

So unless you can show me a planet made of glass or other similarly transparent solids,
Glass planet ...
Lol, for me, look like floating continents/islands around a core. Fantasy planet.
► Information

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

18 Nov 2017 09:18

:D

And good thing you didn't. :)

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.9.0

19 Nov 2017 13:05

Glass planet ...
scr00042.png
I did not understand the joke, I feel so dumb  :lol:
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs