Free planetarium

Silicon
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

Using Space Engine for a D&D campaign?

14 Aug 2017 17:17

Hello everyone! I have been using Space Engine for a while and have been playing D&D for much longer and I recently had an idea for a D&D campaign using SE. I have been getting together a group to start a game of D&D with me DMing.

So I want to ask you guys, how do you think it would work to integrate SE into D&D? The basic idea of the campaign is that the Players are controlling what is called a "Space Jammer", think the literal space sea-ships from Treasure Planet, and the players can use SE to go wherever they want in the universe (Although for story reasons they are confined to the Milky Way).

The biggest issue I could think of with this is the massive book keeping that would be involved, however I think I can get around that by just figuring out an efficient way to organize everything.

So what do you guys think? Can this work? Is there something you can think of that would make this better/easier?
i3-6100 | 8 GB RAM | RX 480

midtskogen
Pioneer
Pioneer

15 Aug 2017 09:06

D&D as in Dungeons and Dragons?
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Irolokirt
Observer
Observer

01 Sep 2017 05:15

hi!
I also thought about this thing some time ago .
D&D is an imagination game then you could use SE to make scenarios or for simulate travels whit the spaceships, but the characters must also have a concrete table of game that simulate the inside of a spaceship or a specific location on a planet for the battles or the exploration .
there are an infinity of possibility ...
use the imagination!

Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer

01 Oct 2017 20:24

The planet Abeir Toril, the setting for the Forgotten Realms campaign from TSR (D&D). Skinned over Mars in the Celestia software program.
Planets made with Wilbur and cloud overlays I made to practice making my own worlds for a Homebrew campaign.
http://i.imgur.com/0zYMyS7.gifv
The map of Abeir Toril I would like to use in Space Engine, but I don't know how this coloration would work. I assume there is a bump map for elevations. I just haven't had the time to get into reading the very detailed instructions somewhere else on this forum. **If anyone feels in the giving spirit and could run it through the grinder, I would be indebted! :!:
Plain old TSR product map style colors.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693