Ultimate space simulation software

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

17 May 2017 18:38

Keep guessing. Tell me if you want another hint
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

18 May 2017 14:53

Well let's be more precise. If we assume that this is not the exhaust of an engine pointed towards the camera and that is an astrophysical object (because you said it's all procedurall), then:

1.- The star and the planetary object (planet or moon) are in different systems or at least both are in a multiple system with the star being part of another ramification of the nested hierarchy of the system and very far far away (not to much since it's emmiting red and therefore it probably has not too much luminosity). This is because the phases of the planet are not aligned.

2.- Because of the first point this image has to be taken with an extremely tiny FOV

3.- It's also clear for the first image that the star is closer to the camera and the planetary object is behind it from our point of view.

Having this in mind, I would say it's some kind of low temperature star, like M-type in a binary system where there is another star of higher type (F-type or G-type) illuminating a planet. The camera is positioned near the M-type star pointing towards the planet with a tiny FOV.

There is still something strange about this. I have the feeling that the disk of the star is not a perfect circle :?

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

18 May 2017 16:25

FastFourierTransform, No zoom in these images and it's not a ship. And if I haven't already said it, it's not a star. It would be too small.
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

The Photodetective game

18 May 2017 16:42

Tidal heating bug?  

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

18 May 2017 16:54

Watsisname, you are very close, but this is no bug.

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

18 May 2017 17:00

Hornblower, maybe it's the moon of the selena (asteroid or something) that looks so shiny because of the new auto exposure settings in the new beta with lens flares?
edit: ohh so it's related to a..tidal heating
maybe tidal heating moon of the selena and you used some of the new auto exposure settings in the new beta?!  :?
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

18 May 2017 17:03

Agreed, the new auto exposure makes it look like a star or something like that, but that's not the point. Why is it so bright?

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

19 May 2017 08:30

Come on guys, you're so close!

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

The Photodetective game

20 May 2017 00:21

When I originally said "that is quite uncanny", it was precisely because I recognized how strange and difficult this challenge is to explain. :)  I still don't think I understand exactly what is happening.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

20 May 2017 05:59

Isn't it self-emission magnitude put to the max?  8-)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

20 May 2017 07:17

Salvo, winner winner chicken dinner. I found a cold planet with a hot moon and put up the thermal emission shift. It's Salvo's turn.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

The Photodetective game

20 May 2017 08:11

Perhaps the condition should be added to the rules that only commonly available SE versions may be used. The last official version is 0.980 ! :|
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

20 May 2017 08:12

JackDole, thermal emission shift has been in the game for a long time, but I can see your point.

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

The Photodetective game

20 May 2017 13:06

Perhaps the condition should be added to the rules that only commonly available SE versions may be used. The last official version is 0.980 ! :|
Fair point.
Well, here we are then! Which star is this:
scr00009.jpg
If it's too much hard I'll start to zoom out until it'll become clear  8-)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

NathanKerbonaut
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

The Photodetective game

20 May 2017 13:57

Which star is this:
Wild guess, is it Rigel?
I like cute pokemon and space games.
My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173
Profile pic source: https://goo.gl/JdZX5v