Ultimate space simulation software

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

Intergalactic trip in preparation

15 Mar 2017 15:01

Hello!

I am currently preparing myself to do an intergalactic trip between two planets. For this trip, I chose to use some really great orbits mechanics SpaceEngine has with black hole. 

Long story short, I'm gonna use a black hole to slingshot myself (e.g. ) to another galaxy and use the black hole of this target galaxy to brake. For this, I need two planets, the starting one and the target one. That's where you come in, you're choosing these planets

No conditions are really needed except that they have to be terras and have similar conditions to Earth (around 0.3 and 4 atm, 0.5 and 2g) because it would too difficult otherwise. I would greatly appreciate that the starting terra is orbiting a gas giant so I can use it to slingshot to the local black hole and that the target one has a gas giant in its system.

If you wish to you can give me some extras challenges and I will judge whether or not it is possible. 
I also plan to do it this coming week-end so I hope that my candidates will be chosen asap :lol:

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

21 Mar 2017 13:52

Nice! The problem is that, for example in my case, I can not suggest a starting and target system since my SE installation is so heavily modded due to hundreds of add-ons so any system I choose will not match your SE universe since the procedural numbering will be different. This is the main reason why challenges have stopped in these new forums since everyone's universe is different.
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Mar 2017 14:00

I can not suggest a starting and target system since my SE installation is so heavily modded due to hundreds of add-ons so any system I choose will not match your SE universe since the procedural numbering will be different
This is the same reason I have not suggested anything as well, also my SE version number doesn't match :(

I do look forward to seeing this when it is done though
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

21 Mar 2017 15:34

Well if that's the case for most of the people on the forum, I guess I'll pick some of my best planets then or some great finds posted here or on Reddit. 
I hope I'll get enough time to do it this week-end, though I doubt this will be possible I'll give some news about it soon. 

The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut

10 Jun 2017 15:11

My SE installation is almost completely untouched, other then a failed attempt at creating the Nemesis star system from Nemesis by Isaac Asimov. I assume these Terras have to be only a Few light-years out of the galactic centers of the two galaxies being chosen?

Here's My Itinerary, You leave a star system with a Terra by slingshooting around it's host star directly to Sgr A* when you get to Sgr A* (after a few years of course) you conduct a maneuver to slingshot you in the general direction of the Large Magellanic Cloud's central Black hole, while on this many millennia long you conduct several course corrections to make sure you sling around the LMC's central black hole slowing you down and curving you trajectory enough to point you in the direction of the second Terra, Before you get to the second Terra you conduct another slingshot maneuver around a neighboring star to slow you down enough to enter the Seconds Terra's system with a reasonable speed, You could also ,as you are entering the system, conduct and Aerobraking maneuver around a gas-giant in the Terra's system to slow you down enough to get you into an orbit intersecting the the Terra's Orbit.      
"The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honoured and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage labourers."

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

05 Jul 2021 14:14

Alright, 4 years later (thankfully it didn't take me that long to do it, I just gave up back then), it's done!!
Here is the video:

This was a really fun thing to do, and it took me quite a while to figure out some of the tricky things needed so I'm happy with the result, especially the fact that it only cost about 45 km/s to correct the trajectory after the slingshot around the first black hole.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

05 Jul 2021 23:38

Alright, 4 years later (thankfully it didn't take me that long to do it, I just gave up back then), it's done!!
Here is the video:

This was a really fun thing to do, and it took me quite a while to figure out some of the tricky things needed so I'm happy with the result, especially the fact that it only cost about 45 km/s to correct the trajectory after the slingshot around the first black hole.
How do you do these slingshots?  I just set a destination and calculate the amount of time I want it to take to go from here to there lol.  I do 12 hour videos and for crossing the entirety of the Andromeda Galaxy I picked a constant speed of 2.22 light years per second.  I did one that went all the way across M31 and then all the way across M32 that went well at 5.32 light years per second.  Since all my videos are now 12 hours long I just calculate what speed I need to set to get there in that time.  The speed is constant and the process is automated, I set the path and speed and just go to sleep and let OBS record the 12 hour video.

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

06 Jul 2021 08:10

Here is the video:

How do you do these slingshots?  I just set a destination and calculate the amount of time I want it to take to go from here to there lol.  I do 12 hour videos and for crossing the entirety of the Andromeda Galaxy I picked a constant speed of 2.22 light years per second.  I did one that went all the way across M31 and then all the way across M32 that went well at 5.32 light years per second.  Since all my videos are now 12 hours long I just calculate what speed I need to set to get there in that time.  The speed is constant and the process is automated, I set the path and speed and just go to sleep and let OBS record the 12 hour video.
I don't entirely understand the question you're asking, but the purpose of the slingshot is to increase the ships' velocity as much as possible in order for warp to go faster than just using the engines.
Of course since ships have unlimited fuel and there is time acceleration you could reach those speeds without using the slingshot, but for the sake of roleplay I like to limit myself to a certain speed ships can achieve by themselves.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

06 Jul 2021 09:32

Here is the video:

I don't entirely understand the question you're asking, but the purpose of the slingshot is to increase the ships' velocity as much as possible in order for warp to go faster than just using the engines.
Of course since ships have unlimited fuel and there is time acceleration you could reach those speeds without using the slingshot, but for the sake of roleplay I like to limit myself to a certain speed ships can achieve by themselves.
Well, basically I am asking how to do this.  I don't think it's possible in Planetarium mode?  Also, which ship did you use?

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

06 Jul 2021 09:55

Well, basically I am asking how to do this.  I don't think it's possible in Planetarium mode?  Also, which ship did you use?
No it's a maneuver that's meant for ships in the flight simulator. Ships don't have any limitations regarding fuel usage or time spent so this maneuver is just meant to simulate what you would need to do if those limitations existed.
I used the X-wing but you can do this slingshot with any ship as long as it has warp capabilities.
I made a video a couple of years ago on how to do the slingshot:

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

07 Jul 2021 01:39

No it's a maneuver that's meant for ships in the flight simulator. Ships don't have any limitations regarding fuel usage or time spent so this maneuver is just meant to simulate what you would need to do if those limitations existed.
I used the X-wing but you can do this slingshot with any ship as long as it has warp capabilities.
Thanks, that's very useful!  I haven't used the flight simulator before but will try to do so now.  What was holding me back was the narrow field of view.

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

07 Jul 2021 13:43

Thanks, that's very useful!  I haven't used the flight simulator before but will try to do so now.  What was holding me back was the narrow field of view.
You can change the field of view the same way as in the planetarium in the bottom right menu.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

08 Jul 2021 06:16

You can change the field of view the same way as in the planetarium in the bottom right menu.
Thanks is there any way to do an "autopilot" where I can set a constant speed and course and calculate the amount of time it would take to get to a precalculated destination?

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

08 Jul 2021 10:56

Thanks is there any way to do an "autopilot" where I can set a constant speed and course and calculate the amount of time it would take to get to a precalculated destination?
Yes, kind of. You can either use the "go to" button which is gonna accelerate you towards your target until halfway there and then slow down, but the range is limited to a solar system for it not to take at least years.

Or you can use the "go to" with warp that boosts your ship to 10 km/s relative to your target and engages warp until you're there. You can then increase your relative speed to make the trip shorter if you wish to.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

08 Jul 2021 16:08

Or you can use the "go to" with warp that boosts your ship to 10 km/s relative to your target and engages warp until you're there. You can then increase your relative speed to make the trip shorter if you wish to.
You don't need to wait until that's done to increase your relative speed; even if you're going nearly the speed of light, the autopilot will simply correct your vector and activate warp. You don't need to bypass the autopilot to get the desired speed.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]