Ultimate space simulation software

jasperhb
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

The Stars Eternal - Challenge

05 Mar 2017 17:23

(Wasn't sure what to call it, so I called it that. I also wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it here.)

The basic gist of this challenge is to find a habitable world (or as many as you want) in a procedural galaxy without use of the map or search tools. However, it gets somewhat more complicated than that.

Still, the only overall rules are 'no search tools and no already-visited planets'. These rules won't really be mentioned in the difficulty 

Difficulties:
Standard
This difficulty is just the standard difficulty. You fly around like you would normally do in SE, but you can't use search tools.
Normal: Find one habitable world in a procedural galaxy.
Intermediate: Find two habitable worlds in a procedural galaxy.
Hard: Find four habitable worlds in a procedural galaxy.
n-Planet: Find 'n' amount of habitable worlds in a procedural galaxy. (In your post, replace 'n' with the number of habitable worlds you seek to find.)

To Boldly Go (or 'Spaceship Mode', or 'Wanderers Still')
In this difficulty, you must use a spaceship to find the habitable planets. You must start in orbit around the galaxy's central black hole. There is no story given, but you can make one up if you want. Preferably, name your ship.
Normal: Find one habitable world with any FTL (faster than light)-capable starship. Should have a maximum boost exponent of 12 or lower.
Intermediate: Find one habitable world with an STL (slower than light) ship - indicated by the class of 'Planetship' in the menu.
Hard: Find two habitable worlds with an STL ship.
n-World, FTL: n-World mode, but with an FTL ship.
n-World, STL: n-World mode, but with an STL ship.

Screw You, Enrico Fermi! (or 'Fermi Resolution')
This difficulty is a harder (but not the same) version of Standard in which you have to find alien life somewhere in the galaxy. It doesn't have to be habitable by humans, but it has to have alien life. Doesn't matter if it's organic or exotic.
Fermi Resolution 1: Find unicellular alien life.
Fermi Resolution 2: Find multicellular alien life.

(n-World isn't included, since it might be too hard. Use '???' instead and elaborate on it as such.)

???
This is a catch-all difficulty for whatever derivative you want to do of the challenge. Though if you choose this 'difficulty', you have to say whatever is added to the Standard challenge to make it funner/harder. This also won't be named because it's not supposed to be.
(Whatever the heck you want to do)

Directions:
Starting
  1. (If you haven't already) Turn on procedural [everything], and turn off catalog [everything].
  2. Find a procedural galaxy that you sufficiently like or you think might have a chance of having at least one habitable world (that you have not already found a habitable world in.) Name it.
  3. Start searching
In The Event of Finding A Habitable World
  1. Name it something! (I don't care if it's the name of a ship from the Culture or a famous Swedish singer from the 70's, just name it something. Snarky names are allowed.)
  2. Take a lot of pictures. (At the very least, take a picture of the planet facing the day side, the terminator (area between the night and day sides), and the night side in its current state.
  3. Take pictures of anything else notable near it, and give those things names too (rings, oddly-shaped moons, etc.).
  4. Repeat if you're searching for more than one habitable world.
Challenge Post Guidelines:
  • State the difficulty at the beginning/description of the video/album or in the post itself, so I can organise it into somewhere.
  • Please make your challenge post in the form of an unedited (that is, showing your whole trial/error process, but you can edit the quality and give an intro/outro) video - you can put the times where you actually discover habitable worlds in the description. If you can't, a series of Imgur (or similar) albums also showing trial/error in some way will work. It'll be less awesome if you just showed the images of the habitable world.
  • If you give your challenge post a story (for example, in the 'To Boldly Go' difficulty), please try to keep it rooted in SpaceEngine; IE take stars/planets from SE rather than making them up.
  • Give the star/planet names in the image descriptions if you made an image album.

Habitable World Guidelines
  • Does not have to be breathable in its current state, but you shouldn't need an HEV suit just to take a morning walk. For example, it shouldn't have more than 160-220 kPa (kilopascals), but no less than 20-60 kPa. Examples for potential equipment to enhance survivability include oxygen masks and air filters.
  • Has to be between -10 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit (roughly -23.33 and 43.33 Centigrade).
  • If the ocean's not a shade of blue, assume it's not liquid water - it'll probably be something like methane or something if it's a weird color. Very light blue probably has a large amount of Saline, so it's probably drinkable after a filter has been applied; very dark blue probably is because of lighting.

That should be everything you have to know. Good luck and godspeed.

EDIT 1: Various stuff and added 'Habitable World Guidelines'.
EDIT 2: Added the 'Fermi Resolution' and gave alternative names to some of the difficulties, also adding jokes in the text color.
Last edited by jasperhb on 07 Apr 2017 18:17, edited 4 times in total.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

05 Mar 2017 19:10

This is a neat idea and I look forward to the potential stories people craft if they follow it.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

05 Mar 2017 23:26

Ditto!

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

06 Mar 2017 03:14

This is a neat idea and I look forward to the potential stories people craft if they follow it.
Maybe some will even write a book or something based on the stories they imagined!

But if you mean planets that are habitable to humans, i think only one has been found with breathable air, due to the atmosphere composition algorithm being added in 0.9.8.0, and having serious flaws such as way too much SO[sup]2[/sup] in the air.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

06 Mar 2017 04:27

Habitable doesn't necessarily mean breathable air, but if breathable is what you're going for I think it would be fine for this purpose to just ignore the SO2 concentration.  Because... trying to find a breathable atmosphere without using the search feature?  Yeah, no thanks. :)  Or if you're going to do a narrative you could come up with something to work around it.

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

06 Mar 2017 05:07

Oh, good luck for people, there are very interest.
But habitable world significate here planet/moon with life or just with the same compisition than Earth and support life for Humans ?

???
I offers Extreme in unknow universeExtreme in a parallel universe, Extreme in another universe or Extreme in procedural universe :).
► Information

jasperhb
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

06 Mar 2017 07:58

But habitable world significate here planet/moon with life or just with the same compisition than Earth and support life for Humans ?

???
I offers Extreme in unknow universeExtreme in a parallel universe, Extreme in another universe or Extreme in procedural universe :).
What do those mean?

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

06 Mar 2017 15:04

???
What do those mean?
The first is the question if habitable world is a world with life or a world where Humans can life without support life ?

The second are proposition for the name of the last difficulty.

Otherwise, good luck for people who searching.
► Information

jasperhb
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

06 Mar 2017 17:17

Habitable doesn't necessarily mean breathable air, but if breathable is what you're going for I think it would be fine for this purpose to just ignore the SO2 concentration.  Because... trying to find a breathable atmosphere without using the search feature?  Yeah, no thanks. :)  Or if you're going to do a narrative you could come up with something to work around it.
Yeah, added the 'Habitable World Guidelines' to help.

jasperhb
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

07 Apr 2017 18:14

What do those mean?
The first is the question if habitable world is a world with life or a world where Humans can life without support life ?

The second are proposition for the name of the last difficulty.

Otherwise, good luck for people who searching.
The reason I called the last difficulty '???' is because it has no name.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

08 Apr 2017 02:38

If the ocean's not a shade of blue, assume it's not liquid water - it'll probably be something like methane or something if it's a weird color.
First, it isn't liquid methane if it is a terra, if the object has liquid methane it must be very far out in the system, and water will be a type of rock on the object.

Second, the non-blue color can exist because of marine life.

Third, water is only slighly blue, and the color of a ocean is mainly determined by the color of the atmosphere.
(Of course i could be wrong on all of these :))
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

08 Apr 2017 05:18

I think reflection, refraction and diffraction properties of all materials, being gaseous liquids or solids, interacting with a light source concur to the final result, but the color of the parent star, which is the primary light source, is the key.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Mr. Missed Her
Astronaut
Astronaut

03 Oct 2017 20:20

Cool! I'd try it, but every time I'm zooming in to the galaxy's center, the game crashes on me. Also, the star search menu is not very good for finding the central black hole. Any help?
Also, any tricks for screenshots? I know print screen copies the screen onto my clipboard, and that's about it.
Space is very spacious.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Oct 2017 02:11

but every time I'm zooming in to the galaxy's center, the game crashes on me.
Lower the maximum magnitude for stars. Maybe this helps.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)