Ultimate space simulation software

11ryanc
Observer
Observer
Topic Author

Your Search Parameters for Finding Earthlike Terras?

17 Jan 2017 20:43

These are my usual parameters:
Intel Core i7 4790k, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, 16 GB DDR3

tRetro-Visor
Explorer
Explorer

20 Jan 2017 22:30

These are the usual for me
scr00001.png
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

Tangle
Observer
Observer

12 Feb 2017 13:54

Generally, Main Sequence G (but as I go along I vary it from F-K and Subdwarfs and Subgiant K)

Terra
Temp. -20 to 60 C
Atmosphere 0.1 to 5
Multicellular or Unicellular

kham132
Astronaut
Astronaut

18 Feb 2017 23:06

Temp: -20 to 30
Atmosphere: 0.4 to 1.5
And I also usually set the Star count to 1 because I'm not really a fan of binary systems.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

22 Feb 2017 12:22

For me it depends on what you mean by "earthlike". If i want something very much like Earth, a terra with multicellular life on land, around an K, G or F main sequence star, and not being tidally locked to said star. If i want something not that earthlike, i just search for a terra, and for in-between, somewhere between the previous two scenarios.

And i often use atmosphere restrictions and disable tidally locked planets, and occasionally use other restrictions. :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

LordKvasir
Observer
Observer

24 Feb 2017 04:53

Atmospheric composition should be also a criterium for finding life-bearing terras.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

24 Feb 2017 12:26

Atmospheric composition should be also a criterium for finding life-bearing terras.
You cannot search for atmospheric composition, and you can just search for planets that have life anyway.

ImperiumAssertor
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

03 May 2017 19:44

I've been searching for Earthlike planets for the last few days but every single one, bar one or two, out of dozens has a very high CO[sub]2[/sub]-content atmosphere. It is a little bit of a stumbling block. Why is this, is it realistic or the way the game engine has been designed?

I would like to think our future explorers can terraform such nearly-suitable exoplanets, but that would kill out all the life already there, presumably  :roll:

ImperiumAssertor
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

03 May 2017 19:48

(cannot find an edit function for my last post)
Something to do with lots of vegetation and photosynthesis and very little aerobic respiration, perhaps?

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

06 May 2017 03:22

Something to do with lots of vegetation and photosynthesis and very little aerobic respiration, perhaps?
Photosynthesis produces O2 not CO2 (6 CO2 + 6 H2O + light = C6H12O6 + O2). But of course these aren't earth plants, and maybe use something other than photosynthesis. I don't think the atmospheric composition in 0.9.8.0 is realistic (you have to remember that atmospheric composition was added in the current update), but my best guesses is that either they have more life that uses O2 like animals instead of CO2 like plants, or that there isn't as many plants.
(cannot find an edit function for my last post)
You need 10 posts to create a thread or edit one of your posts :)
I've been searching for Earthlike planets for the last few days but every single one, bar one or two, out of dozens has a very high CO2-content atmosphere
And if the atmospheric CO2 levels aren't toxic, the SO2 almost always is ;)

An'shur
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

22 May 2017 17:06

My parameters are these.

These are for all sorts of planets about which I think may be tarraformable. There are plenty of such. The lower mass limit of 0.05 is just under the mass of Mercury, which has nearly the same surface gravity as Mars. And we think about terraforming Mars a lot. I set the upper limit of 3.5 Earth masses... "by eye" because of high surface gravity. Any more than that and it would be above 1.7 or 1.8 G, which would not be pleasant.

These parameters are for planets which could already support humans. 0.4 atmospheric pressure would suffice, if such atmosphere was oxygen rich. 3 atmospheres may be a lot for an earthlike atmosphere, but it would drop quickly with altitude. Pressure at Mount Everest is at 30% of the sea level pressure. Aurora marked as required? ..Magnetic field is important for an array of reasons. 0.05 mass is very low for this searching. The lightest terra I found was at 0.109 Earth masses.

Other than that... If I am looking for an Earth twin, I specify as much as the game allows :)

ImperiumAssertor
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

03 Jun 2017 10:41

Thanks for the response, didn't see it until now.
Photosynthesis produces O2 not CO2 (6 CO2 + 6 H2O + light = C6H12O6 + O2). But of course these aren't earth plants, and maybe use something other than photosynthesis. I don't think the atmospheric composition in 0.9.8.0 is realistic (you have to remember that atmospheric composition was added in the current update), but my best guesses is that either they have more life that uses O2 like animals instead of CO2 like plants, or that there isn't as many plants.
Ah now that makes more sense... Yes, I found a few planets recently with high levels of CO2 which I thought could potentially be terraformed if trees were planted on them... is that a valid way of terraforming?
And if the atmospheric CO2 levels aren't toxic, the SO2 almost always is ;)
Yes, have found a few deceptive planets which check out in all regards, until I notice the deadly levels of Sulfur Dioxide  :mrgreen: or sometimes methane.

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Jun 2017 11:31

I don't care about what sort of star it orbits, neither about atmosphere, I just search for life terras, and nothing else selected. 
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

TypicalPerson
Astronaut
Astronaut

11 Jun 2017 02:15

I do this:
scr00003.png
I however sometimes look for earthlike terras around mid to late K or early to mid F main-sequence stars.

The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut

25 Jun 2017 19:00

For a second I though SO2 was Silicon Dioxide, SiO2 is Silicon Dioxide, I see where I got mixed up.
"The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honoured and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage labourers."