Page 23 of 25

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 24 Nov 2018 23:03
by A-L-E-X
Watsisname wrote:
I kind of question why anyone would want to live in a cloud city on Venus, to be honest.  The typically described range of altitudes for having them lies within layers of haze, so there would not be much to look at.  I feel the novelty would wear off pretty fast.

We also already have cloud cities, at least sometimes, on Earth.  Not floating, though. :)



Thats beautiful Wat!  Before I looked at the link I thought you were referring to smog that we find in big cities, not buildings rising over the fog layer- so my comment below applies to my experiences in large polluted smog laden cities:
haha you reminded me why I hate overcrowded and polluted dense cities and how much of a problem for health and the environment earth's overpopulation of humans really is.

My health and stress levels improved about a million times when I moved from LA to Flagstaff (when I used to live on the west coast about a decade ago.)  And the light pollution was gone too!

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 24 Nov 2018 23:27
by Stellarator
Gnargenox wrote:
It's also very possible you could catch a nasty poop bug and die, cooped up in a sardine can.

Five strains of Enterobacter are floating around the ISS right now. Most likely culprits are the toilet and exercise area. 80% likely to cause disease to any of the astronauts.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/23/internati ... ious-bugs/

Wow, I never thought I'd live to see the day when "Space Diarrhea" could be a real condition. Ughh, I imagine in zero-g it would be nightmarish...  :shock:. Thank god vacuum-tube toilets are a thing.

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 24 Nov 2018 23:55
by A-L-E-X
Stellarator wrote:
Gnargenox wrote:
It's also very possible you could catch a nasty poop bug and die, cooped up in a sardine can.

Five strains of Enterobacter are floating around the ISS right now. Most likely culprits are the toilet and exercise area. 80% likely to cause disease to any of the astronauts.

https://nypost.com/2018/11/23/internati ... ious-bugs/

Wow, I never thought I'd live to see the day when "Space Diarrhea" could be a real condition. Ughh, I imagine in zero-g it would be nightmarish...  :shock:. Thank god vacuum-tube toilets are a thing.

This might also be worrying, but I had read awhile back that bacteria under 0g conditions are particularly vicious (or antibiotics much less effective- which they are becoming on earth anyway, which is why immunotherapy is being developed.)

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 25 Nov 2018 23:56
by Stellarator
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post This might also be worrying...


The general media has hyped these findings as they usually do. The thinly-veiled theme here is that this is the beginning of an "Andromeda Strain" in the making. Whilst the rapid mutation of viruses IS a well-documented and valid potential danger, it has no real impact for us Earthlings because those viruses are dependent on the ISS environment for their newfound power. The real concern here is that these superstrains can affect the astronauts to a greater degree then if they were on Earth because they have a weaker immune system due to prolonged exposure to zero-g conditions and a completely sterile environment (relatively). This means what few bacteria or viruses DO make it through the cleaning processes have an edge since the astronaut's bodies can't fight the attack properly.  

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 26 Nov 2018 00:11
by A-L-E-X
Stellarator wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post This might also be worrying...


The general media has hyped these findings as they usually do. The thinly-veiled theme here is that this is the beginning of an "Andromeda Strain" in the making. Whilst the rapid mutation of viruses IS a well-documented and valid potential danger, it has no real impact for us Earthlings because those viruses are dependent on the ISS environment for their newfound power. The real concern here is that these superstrains can affect the astronauts to a greater degree then if they were on Earth because they have a weaker immune system due to prolonged exposure to zero-g conditions and a completely sterile environment (relatively). This means what few bacteria or viruses DO make it through the cleaning processes have an edge since the astronaut's bodies can't fight the attack properly.  

Well here on Earth, we also have huge problems with antibiotic resistant strains and there is a strong and vital movement to use less antibiotics and to eliminate them from animal feed (I only consume antibiotic-free meat.)  Both of my parents eventually passed away from resistant infections they caught while they were hospitalized for other reasons (my mom had lupus and my dad had internal bleeding which no one could ever explain.)  They both caught staph infections in hospitals, weird thing was, my mom's was in 1990 and my dad's in 2014.  It's a problem that still hasn't been properly addressed in hospitals.  And now we have skin-eating bacterial infections that seem to be on the rise also (as well a brain parasitic amoeba.)

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 12 Jun 2019 21:05
by JKerman
Any chance of reviving this thread with the new version out?

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 13 Jun 2019 03:52
by donatelo200
Not sure if it is needed with how common breathable atmospheres are now.

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 13 Jun 2019 05:52
by Canleskis
donatelo200 wrote:
Not sure if it is needed with how common breathable atmospheres are now.

I don't think they are that common, haven't found one yet after searching exclusively for them for a few hours. Either O2 levels aren't right or there is too much CO2. So I think this topic is more relevant then ever, since it looks like it's more likely to find THE one in this new version.

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 13 Jun 2019 14:21
by donatelo200
I have found plenty.  Most living terra's have breathable atmospheres given the pressure is low enough.  Here is one.
RS 3364-1826-7-1064983-1045 5

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 13 Jun 2019 14:59
by Canleskis
Does this level of H20 keeps the atmosphere breathable? What about CO2? Isn't it quite high? I haven't followed everything said in this topic about this subject but I am a little skeptical about being able to breathe on this planet. Could be wrong though, I don't have enough knowledge to tell.

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 13 Jun 2019 20:23
by donatelo200
H2O is inert and breathable and doesn't matter so long as there is O2 present and CO2 as far as I remember can get up to .02Atm before you notice it.  That planet has .005885Atm of CO2 so it is fine.

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 13 Jun 2019 21:17
by Stellarator
Atmospheric water vapor is only dangerous in high quantities and in a very warm environment - when so much much of it condenses in the lungs that you can actually drown in it. But it requires very high concentrations and temperatures for that happen.

Also, there are many breathable atmospheres on the planets of SE 0990. It just takes some work with the search filters to find them. 

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 14 Jun 2019 03:51
by Canleskis
Thanks for your clear explanations, happy to see that we now have breathable atmospheres in SE then. 

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 15 Jun 2019 21:57
by JKerman
I found it.

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

Posted: 16 Jun 2019 00:30
by Watsisname
JKerman, looks good to me!  Nice find. :)