Ultimate space simulation software

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

09 Apr 2017 17:04

Not to detract from the planet found by Maddox, which actually has better numbers, you will still die a slow death by progressive Hyperoxia on the one I just posted above. If I can stay longer than 1 hour without experiencing a horrible, painful death, I'm thrilled. I'd still rather hang out on RS 0-7-1161177-888-21-8-3121149-2720 4 even if the radiation exposure is the same, his is a bit warmer. ;)

And that is the Mountain Nebula. It's HUGE with plenty of nice places to view everything. It includes The Homunculus Nebula, which is surrounding Eta Carinae and is especially cool, with binary suns and two sets of binary planets!
Attachments
scr03275.jpg
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

H2giulio
Observer
Observer

22 Apr 2017 14:22

Here are my 2 candidates:
RS 8474-507-5-22394-949 B5 sadly has CO2 levels of 7,8%, not lethal but not good either. Gravity is also high at 1,37g and at the highest mountain the temperature drops to a cool 68 C. Also the 0.5% SO2.

RS 8474-507-5-22395-215 7 Has lower gravity and CO2 levels. And pressure. And is hotter.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

22 Apr 2017 20:13

at the highest mountain the temperature drops to a cool 68 C.
Toasty cool. :)

akorn
Observer
Observer

23 Apr 2017 15:24

Hi Guys,
I refined my atmosphere analyzer to suggest the habability for humans. It's made in excel. On the left side you enter information about a planet found in Space Engine. And on the right hand side you get a list of athmospheric and other physical caracteristica. Calculations are based on a sweet mix of science and best guesses. Check it out and suggest improvements.
Atmoanalyser 6.xlsx
(70.85 KiB) Downloaded 344 times

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

23 Apr 2017 18:15

Very nicely done!  I played around with it for a little bit and everything looks pretty good so far.  One suggestion that's not on the TODO list may be to implement the upper limit of oxygen for where conditions lead to hyperoxia.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Apr 2017 00:23

Hi Guys,
I refined my atmosphere analyzer to suggest the habability for humans. It's made in excel. On the left side you enter information about a planet found in Space Engine. And on the right hand side you get a list of athmospheric and other physical caracteristica. Calculations are based on a sweet mix of science and best guesses. Check it out and suggest improvements. Atmoanalyser 6.xlsx
Thank you, should I place this in a specific folder?

akorn
Observer
Observer

24 Apr 2017 01:29

Hi Guys,
I refined my atmosphere analyzer to suggest the habability for humans. It's made in excel. On the left side you enter information about a planet found in Space Engine. And on the right hand side you get a list of athmospheric and other physical caracteristica. Calculations are based on a sweet mix of science and best guesses. Check it out and suggest improvements. Atmoanalyser 6.xlsx
Thank you, should I place this in a specific folder?
No sir, It is just an Excel file. You'll have to open it through MS Excel and put the data in there manually.

akorn
Observer
Observer

24 Apr 2017 01:45

Thanks! Actually it's there. I'm not sure that I have used the same limits that are discussed earlier in this thread. But try to remove all N2 from earth atmosphere but keep the pressure at 1 atm. Oxygen will now be around 97%. The Habability Assessment will tell you that there are gases with a notable hallucinogenic effect. That's the oxygen kicking in :-). Now try to raise the pressure to 3 atm, and see the difference in the assessment. At 5 atm with that atmosphere the oxygen level will cause instant death.

You can see the same effect with other gases. Try raising CO2 level. At a high enough concentration it will kill you. Try swapping N2 with Xenon which is otherwise an inert gas. In high enough concentrations it will be anesthetic and in even higher concentrations you will die.
Very nicely done!  I played around with it for a little bit and everything looks pretty good so far.  One suggestion that's not on the TODO list may be to implement the upper limit of oxygen for where conditions lead to hyperoxia.
Thanks! Actually it's there. I'm not sure that I have used the same limits that are descussed earlier in this thread. But try to remove alle N2 from earth atmosphere but keep the pressure at 1 atm. Oxygen will now be around 97%. The Habability Assessment will tell you that there are gases with a notable hallucigenic effect. That's the oxygen kicking in :-). Now try to raise the pressure to 3 atm, and see the difference in the assessment. At 5 atm with that atmosphere the oxygen level will cause death.
You can see the same effect with other gases. Try raising CO2 level. At a high enough concentration it will kill you. Or try swapping N2 with Xenon wich is othervise an inert gas. In high enough consentrations it will be anastetic and in even higher concentrations you will die.
Cheers
Lasse

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Apr 2017 02:25

What would be nice and what SpaceEngineer is considering implementing is this sort of scale into SE.  Who knows when it will be implemented but I think these sorts of charts can definitely help.  It's a good effort akorn
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

24 Apr 2017 02:54

What would be nice and what SpaceEngineer is considering implementing is this sort of scale into SE.  Who knows when it will be implemented but I think these sorts of charts can definitely help.  It's a good effort akorn
You guys are definitely at the cutting edge of space simulation software.  I get confused when some call it a "game."  It most definitely is not a game and should be listed on serious astronomy sites like Cloudy Nights (a site I've been a member of and purchased equipment from for over a decade, and trust me there is little to no software listed there that matches what SE can do.  Starry Night Pro Plus is good but I paid $250 for it and this is FREE.)  And I see that you are nodding your head so you must agree with me.....

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Apr 2017 06:58

Hi Guys,
I refined my atmosphere analyzer to suggest the habability for humans. It's made in excel. On the left side you enter information about a planet found in Space Engine. And on the right hand side you get a list of athmospheric and other physical caracteristica. Calculations are based on a sweet mix of science and best guesses. Check it out and suggest improvements.
Maybe you should post it here: Tools and Utilities
It is then easier to find.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

24 Apr 2017 20:36

Certainly looking forward to a day when something like this is implemented in the INFO tab, and just like how planets with life are labeled in green, there will come a time when planets with breathable atmospheres are labeled in BLUE!!!
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

ImperiumAssertor
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

02 May 2017 11:15

giant spiders and incests). 
:o and I thought normal-sized incests were bad enough!
;)

Nighteye424
Observer
Observer

02 May 2017 16:42

Yeah, these are fun things to look for, and very difficult to find.  We had a thread for it on the old forum along with some good information on the limits of survival.  I'll copy some of that below.

The trick to seeing if the air is breathable or not is to check the second column in the info > atmosphere tab, which shows the partial pressure of that gas.  Partial pressure means how much of the total surface pressure is caused by that particular gas.  For example, if the total pressure is 2 atm, and the composition is 90% oxygen and 10% CO2, then the partial pressure of oxygen is 1.8 atm, and the partial pressure of the CO2 is 0.2 atm.

We can deal with a partial pressure of O2 between 0.1 and 0.6 atm.
For CO2, we need less than 0.05 atm.
SO2 (sulfur dioxide) must be below 10[sup]-6[/sup].  (Very small!)
and the limit for H2S (hydrogen sulfide) is about 10[sup]-4[/sup].

These all have fuzzy limits where you could survive for at least a little while:

Unfortunately, this means the air on your planet is not breathable.  It's actually too much oxygen, and too much CO2 and SO2.  (The SO2 is almost always too high with the current atmosphere generation -- it is exceptionally difficult to find planets where it is below 10[sup]-6[/sup].)

This was the first planet found with breathable air... though it is very cold:

And several people have found planets that are very close, or where the air is breathable except for the SO2.  We can imagine them being habitable with just a respirator to deal with the toxic component. :)

Added:  A few more breathable atmosphere's have been found, including a temperate terra by Gnargenox!
For different types of life forms,that require different compounds,his planet could hold life,just not life as we know it

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

02 May 2017 22:45

That's a good point -- we did rather assume to take this to be breathable for humans.  But if we generalize it to be breathable for any lifeform then it's very difficult to know what the limitations are, or what to search for.