Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

22 Jan 2017 20:33

Aw man.  Yeah, that is very close all across the board.  The oxygen level is like being a few kilometers above Everest.  If you were already fully acclimated to low oxygen then maybe you could survive for a few minutes to hours -- hard to say exactly.  Without acclimatization you would pass out in about 15 seconds.  Same deal with the CO2 and SO2 -- you would be overcome on a timescale of minutes to hours.  

That sounds pretty bad, but in the context of typical SE atmospheres that is a really nice find.

11ryanc
Observer
Observer

22 Jan 2017 22:11

That sounds pretty bad, but in the context of typical SE atmospheres that is a really nice find.
Not at all. Honestly it's better than I expected, lol. I found this system along with others within 50 lightyears of the North America Nebula.
Intel Core i7 4790k, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, 16 GB DDR3

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

23 Jan 2017 04:52

Aw man.  Yeah, that is very close all across the board.  The oxygen level is like being a few kilometers above Everest.  If you were already fully acclimated to low oxygen then maybe you could survive for a few minutes to hours -- hard to say exactly.  Without acclimatization you would pass out in about 15 seconds.  Same deal with the CO2 and SO2 -- you would be overcome on a timescale of minutes to hours.  

Actually I would pay my whole money to go in an exoplanet in which I can survive for some minutes without any kind of life assistance! I guess we can also survive on Mars for a few seconds, but breathing the air of an exoplanet is probably a very exciting experience  8-)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

11ryanc
Observer
Observer

23 Jan 2017 08:04

Actually I would pay my whole money to go in an exoplanet in which I can survive for some minutes without any kind of life assistance! I guess we can also survive on Mars for a few seconds, but breathing the air of an exoplanet is probably a very exciting experience  8-)
Well the pressure's 13 kPa or so at sea level. So you wouldn't last long. Once accumulated, I imagine carrying around a respirator would make it fairly safe though. Still. Idea of taking a breath of air from an alien planet is just surreal :)
Assuming you're equipped with a breather. Is pressure that low harmful to the body otherwise? It's well above the Armstrong Limit, at least.
Intel Core i7 4790k, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, 16 GB DDR3

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

23 Jan 2017 20:26

I don't think the pressure itself would be a problem.  If you had a supply of oxygen you would probably be just fine.  You would need to be very careful about breathing the ambient air if you were coming in acclimated to conditions at Earth's surface, as the low O2 pressure would cause your cognitive functions to drop very quickly -- basically you'd have about 10-15 seconds of useful consciousness.  So it'd be like a couple of breaths and then immediately go back on oxygen.  If you came in already acclimated to high altitude then you could probably be fairly safe to breathe for a few minutes, but you'd still want to be careful about your mental deterioration with hypoxia.  But in either case it would be a pretty cool thing to breathe the air of an exoplanet. :)

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Jan 2017 01:17

At 37°C water has a vapour of 6.3 kPa, so that would be a reasonable pressure limit for humans.  That corresponds to 18-19000 m altitude on Earth.  At that altitude the blood inside the body would still have higher pressure, so there is no risk of the blood boiling, but spit, tears and moisture in the lungs would boil which surely will be quite unhealthy for long exposures.
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

MichaelPoole
Observer
Observer

25 Jan 2017 14:12

The SO2 in SE should be tweaked to only appear on planets with no oxygen creating photosynthetic life and a reducing atmosphere, as it can accumulate, but not in atmospheres with free O2. Same for CH4, with oxygen it can even be explosive. Contrary to what some folks on the old people said, high O2 content does not make an atmosphere explosive, oxygen is not flammable, it would just make life more active and fires more dangerous (consider that during the Carboniferous our atmosphere had 35 percent O2 and the land was covered with giant ferns with giant spiders and incests). What would be explosive is a mixed CH4/O2 atmosphere.
One thing I like about SE is that most garden-worlds full of life are not in fact immediately habitable to humans. This is likely to be true IRL as well - even a planet with a biosphere as rich or even richer than Earth is not likely to be shirt sleeves habitable, and Earth is probably just as deadly for them as their planet for us. That being said, a partial face mask would suffice in most cases like this. But personally, I think if humans ever colonise planets with a different native biosphere, they will be ideologically open enough for some slight genetic engineering to say, tolerate higher CO2 levels or some extremely toxic trace gas (consider that for example crabs cannot get poisoned by cyanide or CO because their blood contains a different oxygen carrier than hemoglobine).

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Jan 2017 16:04

I think if humans ever colonise planets with a different native biosphere, they will be ideologically open enough for some slight genetic engineering to say, tolerate higher CO2 levels or some extremely toxic trace gas (consider that for example crabs cannot get poisoned by cyanide or CO because their blood contains a different oxygen carrier than hemoglobine).
What is more likely is if humanity survives that long then it probably won't be biological anymore anyway so Earth like worlds would be no different than barren worlds.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

MichaelPoole
Observer
Observer

25 Jan 2017 16:36

I think if humans ever colonise planets with a different native biosphere, they will be ideologically open enough for some slight genetic engineering to say, tolerate higher CO2 levels or some extremely toxic trace gas (consider that for example crabs cannot get poisoned by cyanide or CO because their blood contains a different oxygen carrier than hemoglobine).
What is more likely is if humanity survives that long then it probably won't be biological anymore anyway so Earth like worlds would be no different than barren worlds.
That is, if machines can actually be truly conscious.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

25 Jan 2017 16:41

The SO2 in SE should be tweaked to only appear on planets with no oxygen creating photosynthetic life and a reducing atmosphere, as it can accumulate, but not in atmospheres with free O2.
Actually it is very hard for SO2 to accumulate even in a reducing atmosphere, as it is quickly converted to elemental sulfur via photochemical reactions.  (High energy photons will dissociate water vapor to produce free hydrogen, which then reacts with SO2.)

MichaelPoole
Observer
Observer

25 Jan 2017 16:43

The SO2 in SE should be tweaked to only appear on planets with no oxygen creating photosynthetic life and a reducing atmosphere, as it can accumulate, but not in atmospheres with free O2.
Actually it is very hard for SO2 to accumulate even in a reducing atmosphere, as it is quickly converted to elemental sulfur via photochemical reactions.  (High energy photons will dissociate water vapor to produce free hydrogen, which then reacts with SO2.)
I stand corrected then, but it would still be abundant on Hadean/Archaen terras due to high volcanic activity.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Jan 2017 19:05

That is, if machines can actually be truly conscious.
Consciousness doesn't exist in any classical sense.  You can compare consciousness to the refresh rate of a monitor, every second you are a different being who only thinks it is the same being from a second ago because of the storing of information.  There is nothing special about the human mind that cannot be replicated within a machine. 
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Jan 2017 23:39

There is nothing special about the human mind that cannot be replicated within a machine. 
Emulated, yes, replicated, perhaps too hard.  The machines that we build work so differently. 
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

25 Jan 2017 23:42

Emulated, yes, replicated, perhaps too hard
If it acts conscious and is perceived as conscious, it is safe to assume it is conscious.  Even if its an emulation I would still consider a robot or simulated person as just that, a person. 

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

26 Jan 2017 02:54

So theoretically there is life on Mars, just not biological one. And also it is the only actually known planet to be only populated by... robots.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs