Free planetarium

 
User avatar
Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 380
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Location: 179° 56′ 39.4″ +0° 2′ 46.2″ @ 7,940 ± 420 pc

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

14 Jul 2017 11:54

Well not really. I would say since the atmosphere model is young and not developed to a science yet, that it is already accounted for and that really IS what is still in the atmosphere. 
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693
 
User avatar
Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Posts: 931
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Location: Bellingham, WA

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

14 Jul 2017 19:19

I agree with that.  I consider whatever SE gives you is what it "really is", even if it isn't always realistic.  Right now it makes finding breathable atmospheres super tough, but that can also be fun.

I was poking around for a little while the other night, and found several that would be totally comfortable except for the SO2 being too high.  That in itself isn't too interesting, but then I did find one world that was breathable (again except for SO2) but was a temperate terra moon of a gas giant.  Pandora!  Dammit though, for I thought I saved its location correctly, but it turns out you have to actually goto/follow the planet, not just have it selected.  So I lost the coordinates. :(
 
User avatar
Starlight Glimmer
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 240
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

14 Jul 2017 19:28

Watsisname wrote:
I agree with that.  I consider whatever SE gives you is what it "really is", even if it isn't always realistic.  Right now it makes finding breathable atmospheres super tough, but that can also be fun.

I was poking around for a little while the other night, and found several that would be totally comfortable except for the SO2 being too high.  That in itself isn't too interesting, but then I did find one world that was breathable (again except for SO2) but was a temperate terra moon of a gas giant.  Pandora!  Dammit though, for I thought I saved its location correctly, but it turns out you have to actually goto/follow the planet, not just have it selected.  So I lost the coordinates. :(

Thats unfortunate. Try to find it again, if you remember the place it was in the galaxy and the parameters you used to search you should find it again, hopefully.
 
User avatar
Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Posts: 931
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Location: Bellingham, WA

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

14 Jul 2017 20:44

I tried; it's still just too huge of a volume to search through to find again.

Here's another one which was similar and quite pretty though. :)

Image

Added:

My first temperate terra where you can breathe (very uncomfortably) for more than an hour before dying, and be relatively okay for 10 minutes.  And it has rings. ^_^  The oxygen level at the surface of this world is comparable to being at about 5000m (16000ft) on Earth.

Image
 
User avatar
Starlight Glimmer
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 240
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

15 Jul 2017 08:57

Watsisname wrote:
I tried; it's still just too huge of a volume to search through to find again.

Here's another one which was similar and quite pretty though. :)

Image

Added:

My first temperate terra where you can breathe (very uncomfortably) for more than an hour before dying, and be relatively okay for 10 minutes.  And it has rings. ^_^  The oxygen level at the surface of this world is comparable to being at about 5000m (16000ft) on Earth.

Image

First one looks to be not breatheable.
Nice find! Very close! Although the O2 levels are a little high. At least SO2 isn't really an issue. 
 
User avatar
Starlight Glimmer
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 240
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

15 Jul 2017 09:45

I've done some searching. I found 2 that might be habitable. Might have too much CO2.

Image
Image
 
User avatar
Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 380
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Location: 179° 56′ 39.4″ +0° 2′ 46.2″ @ 7,940 ± 420 pc

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

15 Jul 2017 12:55

Good golly Mrs Molly! RS 3796-393-6-113108-61 A3 has nearly the perfect if not even "better" than Earth's amount of Oxygen! You would actually see benefits to your stamina and strength once you got your breathing techniques in line with being equal to living 6,000m above sea level. The air is rich in O2 at 36.6% but the air is still very thin at .106 partial pressure of O2. So take a deep breath! :)

Oh, WAIT! Don't breathe just yet! The Carbon Dioxide is worse than the smoggiest day in Los Angeles or Mexico City. You'll be tossing your cookies and crying a river, but you might live a few days, so... Cheers!

Sulfur Dioxide is what I would call extremely low (for SE), but you still could smell this planet a light year away haha. Don't play outside more than an hour or so, it won't be snowing SO2 anytime soon in that thinner atmosphere.

It could possibly become a tourist destination for extremeophiles, just not permanently habitable without major terraforming.

Good Job! If the SO2 was at 6.98*10^-6 it would be on the list of planets worth setting up shop on. ;)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693
 
User avatar
Starlight Glimmer
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 240
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

15 Jul 2017 13:01

Gnargenox wrote:
Good golly Mrs Molly! RS 3796-393-6-113108-61 A3 has nearly the perfect if not even "better" than Earth's amount of Oxygen! You would actually see benefits to your stamina and strength once you got your breathing techniques in line with being equal to living 6,000m above sea level. The air is rich in O2 at 36.6% but the air is still very thin at .106 partial pressure of O2. So take a deep breath! :)

Oh, WAIT! Don't breathe just yet! The Carbon Dioxide is worse than the smoggiest day in Los Angeles or Mexico City. You'll be tossing your cookies and crying a river, but you might live a few days, so... Cheers!

Sulfur Dioxide is what I would call extremely low (for SE), but you still could smell this planet a light year away haha. Don't play outside more than an hour or so, it won't be snowing SO2 anytime soon in that thinner atmosphere.

It could possibly become a tourist destination for extremeophiles, just not permanently habitable without major terraforming.

Good Job! If the SO2 was at 6.98*10^-6 it would be on the list of planets worth setting up shop on. ;)

So would a breathing mask help out with that CO2 issue?
 
User avatar
Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 380
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Location: 179° 56′ 39.4″ +0° 2′ 46.2″ @ 7,940 ± 420 pc

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

15 Jul 2017 13:06

I just want to reiterate and I'm on mobile so I don't know how to edit ,but you could actually get work done for an hour before needing an air break for a few hours. Of course you'd die after a few months of progressive damage to your lungs etc,loose your smell in a few days or go blind quickly BUT you could set up air scrubbers for incoming colonist after terraforming things. Great find!

yeah breathing mask (full face) would change everything dramatically!
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693
 
User avatar
Starlight Glimmer
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 240
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

15 Jul 2017 13:15

Gnargenox wrote:
I just want to reiterate and I'm on mobile so I don't know how to edit ,but you could actually get work done for an hour before needing an air break for a few hours. Of course you'd die after a few months of progressive damage to your lungs etc,loose your smell in a few days or go blind quickly BUT you could set up air scrubbers for incoming colonist after terraforming things. Great find!

yeah breathing mask (full face) would change everything dramatically!

I'd propose that before colonization starts. We send down unmanned automated air scrubbers to scrub the CO2 out of the air, at least around probably maybe a century before colonization starts. Or we could just wear full face masks. At least we won't have to wear a full space suit!
 
User avatar
Starlight Glimmer
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 240
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

15 Jul 2017 17:03

I have done some searching and I found this planet here. I think it might be breatheable. Its hot, and there might be too much CO2...

Image
 
User avatar
Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer
Posts: 931
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Location: Bellingham, WA

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

16 Jul 2017 01:49

Starlight Glimmer wrote:
Source of the post I have done some searching and I found this planet here. I think it might be breatheable.

Ahhhh, so close!  The CO2 is actually tolerable, and amazingly enough so is the SO2!  But the O2 is too low, like being at 12,000 meters altitude on Earth -- way above the Everest death zone.  So if you can withstand the heat, I'd also suggest taking some bottled oxygen.
 
User avatar
Starlight Glimmer
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 240
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

16 Jul 2017 08:18

Done some more searching. I think these might be interesting.

Image
Image
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Gnargenox
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 380
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Location: 179° 56′ 39.4″ +0° 2′ 46.2″ @ 7,940 ± 420 pc

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

16 Jul 2017 08:43

I really love that last one! All the gasses are pretty low though. If you can find a -6 exponent on SO2 you'll be in the clear for staying longer and getting within government standards for maximum exposure limits.

Try searches with lower temperatures i think. That seems to lower SO2 readings, possibly because of condensation, as i mentioned before.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693
 
User avatar
Starlight Glimmer
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 240
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Location: Somewhere

Planets with potentially breathable atmospheres

16 Jul 2017 10:21

Gnargenox wrote:
I really love that last one! All the gasses are pretty low though. If you can find a -6 exponent on SO2 you'll be in the clear for staying longer and getting within government standards for maximum exposure limits.

Try searches with lower temperatures i think. That seems to lower SO2 readings, possibly because of condensation, as i mentioned before.

I kept searching, I never found one with a -6 exponent. Searching seems so futile....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest