Ultimate space simulation software

SolarLiner
Observer
Observer

How to make 360° panoramas in Space Engine

28 May 2017 04:09

Also (can't figure out how to edit my previous message) I'll upload template Hugin project files that one has to place in the "export" folder of SpaceEngine - so that one can open the project (which will use the last exported skybox) and make a full equirectangular panorama.

Apollonius
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

09 Jun 2017 02:00

Pano2VR works, you just have to transfer the 6 cube faces to a different input format, namely equirectangular. If you actually process the image it will put a watermark on it, but you're just swapping the input type, so it shouldn't add a watermark.

Also, Autostitch is a good free utility, but honestly it's WAY more trouble to do it that way.

Front
Observer
Observer

02 Dec 2017 04:21

Hi forum,

I tried to export skybox with different exposures (to try to creat HDRI). Even if you set different exposure and you see it during export, resulting files always has the same exposure "0". Is it the way it has to be, or I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you for your help.
concept artist @ frontbrush.com

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

02 Dec 2017 05:16

Do you mean exposure value in the EXIF information or similar? SE doesn't write EXIF, it just saves pixels. You have to enter exposure values manually. And that values from SE are just something internal, they are not a real-world illumination or exposure compensation. So you have to adjust exposure for each layer in Photoshop/Gimp manually anyway.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

02 Dec 2017 08:19

Do you mean exposure value in the EXIF information or similar? SE doesn't write EXIF, it just saves pixels. You have to enter exposure values manually. And that values from SE are just something internal, they are not a real-world illumination or exposure compensation. So you have to adjust exposure for each layer in Photoshop/Gimp manually anyway.
I think he means that the skyboxes are all identical, they do not reflect the exposure changes set in SE.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Front
Observer
Observer

02 Dec 2017 08:53

Yes, that is correct. if I set exposure to value1 and export skybox, I get result1. If I set exposure to a value 2 and export skybox, I get exactly the same images as result1. 
If I get 5 different exposure values out of SE by exporting skybox, I can merge them into 5 spehrical ("360") images, and then merge them into proper HDRI in photoshop. 

Front
Observer
Observer

02 Dec 2017 09:07

I can of course use only one skybox and create additional exposures with photoshop, but I think it's not the same, is it?

evildrganymede
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

20 Jan 2018 17:50

If you want to stitch screenshots together to make panoramas, Microsoft's "Image Composite Editor" is really good. I used to use Hugin before that but I've pretty much switched completely to ICE now (and it's free too!). https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/researc ... te-editor/