Ultimate space simulation software

donatelo200
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Astrobiology in Space Engine

14 Aug 2019 20:53

You can't add models to planets currently.  At least not make models generate procedurally on planets but you technically could make a small forest the same way you would make a stationary space station in SE.  
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

15 Aug 2019 21:22

Trees seem cool, maybe as an optional feature / add-on if someone wants to make that.
I do hope that you are referring to big flora in general, and not Earth-trees as we know them. Convergent evolution notwithstanding, it would be unrealistic if SE had oak or pine trees on alien worlds. A more likely scenario would be that such models would act as mere placeholders indicating a forested region, with later editions of the simulator procedurally modeling the flora's appearance, so that photosynthetic life may only functional similarities with mundane earth autotrophs.
Futurum Fusionem

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

15 Aug 2019 22:54

Lets say you have a planet that is like Earth. But it's a moon orbiting around a larger gas or ice giant. How would this affect plant life on the near and far sides, how would they be different from one another?

Or if you have a planet with multiple moons, would that affect plant life? Could plant life get energy from the reflected light if it is bright enough?
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

28 Aug 2019 18:50

Lets say you have a planet that is like Earth. But it's a moon orbiting around a larger gas or ice giant. How would this affect plant life on the near and far sides, how would they be different from one another?

Or if you have a planet with multiple moons, would that affect plant life? Could plant life get energy from the reflected light if it is bright enough?
In a word: no. Photosynthesis needs a far greater photonic energy density than that reflected from a solid object. In fact, a large host planet or multiple large moons would have more effect on plant life with gravitational effects like tides, rather than offering light. There are certain types of simple photosynthetic life like algeas that use the minute amounts of moonlight they can find to power metabolisms - but this is exceedingly rare. These algeas are aquatic, so moonlight is of limited use. Perhaps a pervasive terrestrial algea could make use of a sufficiently bright source of moonlight on a moon or many-mooned planet - but only if there were no other sources of more available energy. Besides being too weak for anything other than a specialized metabolism, moonlight is actually pretty unreliable as a source of energy because it is so intermittent, with its periods and phases.

To extend on the facts presented above, moonlight can also have an adverse affect on plants and animals. The different phases of our one moon often screws with the circadian rhythm of many creatures, especially nocturnal ones. Brighter moons or one big moon could make the diurnal/nocturnal cycles of any planets with life nearby very different than what we are used to on Earth. However, I think these would be exceptional in the universe, since even in SE, there are many moon systems that don't seem to differ to much from ours in terms of brightness. There will be some variation - but maybe not as much as our wilder sci-fi spoofs would have us believe.
Futurum Fusionem

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

28 Aug 2019 22:30

In a word: no. Photosynthesis needs a far greater photonic energy density than that reflected from a solid object. In fact, a large host planet or multiple large moons would have more effect on plant life with gravitational effects like tides, rather than offering light. There are certain types of simple photosynthetic life like algeas that use the minute amounts of moonlight they can find to power metabolisms - but this is exceedingly rare. These algeas are aquatic, so moonlight is of limited use. Perhaps a pervasive terrestrial algea could make use of a sufficiently bright source of moonlight on a moon or many-mooned planet - but only if there were no other sources of more available energy. Besides being too weak for anything other than a specialized metabolism, moonlight is actually pretty unreliable as a source of energy because it is so intermittent, with its periods and phases.

To extend on the facts presented above, moonlight can also have an adverse affect on plants and animals. The different phases of our one moon often screws with the circadian rhythm of many creatures, especially nocturnal ones. Brighter moons or one big moon could make the diurnal/nocturnal cycles of any planets with life nearby very different than what we are used to on Earth. However, I think these would be exceptional in the universe, since even in SE, there are many moon systems that don't seem to differ to much from ours in terms of brightness. There will be some variation - but maybe not as much as our wilder sci-fi spoofs would have us believe.
Hmm I see. Would living on a planet with a brighter moon or more moons be of much harm to humans, or would it affect us in negative ways? 
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

30 Aug 2019 01:52

Would living on a planet with a brighter moon or more moons be of much harm to humans, or would it affect us in negative ways?
Not really. Humans would need to adjust to the new brightness at night. Sleep disruption would be a factor, but this is easily remedied by being indoors. We forget that in our modern era, pervasive outdoor lighting has spoiled the darkness of night for many people, and so we are already dealing with the psychological repercussions of less true nightly darkness.
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

30 Aug 2019 05:24

Would living on a planet with a brighter moon or more moons be of much harm to humans, or would it affect us in negative ways?
Not really. Humans would need to adjust to the new brightness at night. Sleep disruption would be a factor, but this is easily remedied by being indoors. We forget that in our modern era, pervasive outdoor lighting has spoiled the darkness of night for many people, and so we are already dealing with the psychological repercussions of less true nightly darkness.
and other physical health conditions also.
one day this will need to be taken care of, as people are under the assumption that more light = less crime.
Not so, more light actually means more crime, as it helps the criminals to see better ;-)

Jimbo Jambo
Observer
Observer

26 Oct 2020 01:55

I'm bumping this topic to restate the pretty uncontroversial opinions that tree-like organisms will likely arise on planets with abundant light and that implementing procedural trees would be cool and is within the realm of possibility.

As cool as it would be to run a Species: ALRE simulation for each planet with complex life, the idea of doing that for every planet in the universe, and moreover, doing it quickly, is unrealistic. Trees, on the other hand, are pretty simple (superficially) and are as much a part of the landscape as rocks and lakes are.

I made a really simple mockup of what procedural trees might look like. A number of factors would be considered when generating them; in this case, it is the planet's age (which increases tree height along a sharp S-curve to simulate the sudden appearance of vascular plants able to grow tall and the subsequent race to become as tall as physically possible to compete for light), gravity (less=taller & thinner), wetness (determines how broad the leaves can afford to be among other things), the host star's spectrum (weighs in on what pigment(s) would be most efficient), and the luminosity or brightness of the star (dimmer stars=darker colors).
tree_composite_1.jpg
tree_composite_2.jpg
Of course my trees here are ugly as sin, they don't branch, there is no randomness, and there are more factors to consider and no doubt complex ways in which they interact, but the point is to show that tree models can be generated using parameters planets already have. Speculation is involved, sure, but it already is in determining which planets can sustain life in the first place, so I don't think it's inappropriate.

...As for animals, I don't want to ask for a glass of milk after being given a cookie, but even though they're not necessary, it would be pretty cool to see tiny simple boid creatures swimming and flying around.
boid_anim_small.gif
boid_anim_small.gif (795.86 KiB) Viewed 6848 times
Just sayin'.
Last edited by Jimbo Jambo on 03 Jul 2022 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo Jambo
Observer
Observer

26 Oct 2020 02:01

(redacted)
Last edited by Jimbo Jambo on 03 Jul 2022 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

Lujo
Astronaut
Astronaut

09 Nov 2020 08:56

I'm bumping this topic to restate the pretty uncontroversial opinions that tree-like organisms will likely arise on planets with abundant light and that implementing procedural trees would be cool and is within the realm of possibility.

As cool as it would be to run a Species: ALRE simulation for each planet with complex life, the idea of doing that for every planet in the universe, and moreover, doing it quickly, is unrealistic. Trees, on the other hand, are pretty simple (superficially) and are as much a part of the landscape as rocks and lakes are.

I made a really simple mockup of what procedural trees might look like. A number of factors would be considered when generating them; in this case, it is the planet's age (which increases tree height along a sharp S-curve to simulate the sudden appearance of vascular plants able to grow tall and the subsequent race to become as tall as physically possible to compete for light), gravity (less=taller & thinner), wetness (determines how broad the leaves can afford to be among other things), the host star's spectrum (weighs in on what pigment(s) would be most efficient), and the luminosity or brightness of the star (dimmer stars=darker colors).

tree_composite_1.jpg
tree_composite_2.jpg

Of course my trees here are ugly as sin, they don't branch, there is no randomness, and there are more factors to consider and no doubt complex ways in which they interact, but the point is to show that tree models can be generated using parameters planets already have. Speculation is involved, sure, but it already is in determining which planets can sustain life in the first place, so I don't think it's inappropriate.

...As for animals, I don't want to ask for a glass of milk after being given a cookie, but even though they're not necessary, it would be pretty cool to see tiny simple boid creatures swimming and flying around.
boid_anim_small.gif
Just sayin'.
Thats really good. I hope we see ground features soon (stones, plants...). It would really add a whole new perspective.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

09 Nov 2020 10:28

How about seeing the effects of winds on trees and plants and other weather like snow and rain and lightning and thunder?

Lujo
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 Nov 2020 20:06

How about seeing the effects of winds on trees and plants and other weather like snow and rain and lightning and thunder?
Outerra did that. It feels like you are really there. I have no doubt Space Engine will do the same in the future.

Jimbo Jambo
Observer
Observer

Re: Astrobiology in Space Engine

03 Jul 2022 01:03

I've spent the last few weeks working on a new procedural tree generator. Same six parameters as before: age, surface gravity, apparent solar luminosity, moisture, solar spectrum/peak wavelength, and average global temperature. They interact to affect the shape, size and color of the trees, as well as the effective age/evolutionary progress of the biosphere.

Planets with a low effective age are covered in moss/algae. A high effective age yields trees. There's an "age of ferns" in a sweet-spot between them, just after the evolution of vascular plants but before woody tissue, where clumps of fungus of varying shapes (eight modeled, all very simple) also grow.

Here is an Earth-like planet.
► Show Spoiler

6x gravity. Stout trees.
► Show Spoiler

This tiny planet's trees are stupid tall (as opposed to dummy thicc).
► Show Spoiler

Old, cold, covered in mold.
► Show Spoiler

Wear sunglasses. 
► Show Spoiler

Fern planet.
► Show Spoiler

Pizza planet.
► Show Spoiler

There are improvements that can be made, particularly with moss and ferngus generation, variety of leaf shapes, branch shape/distribution, but, again, this is just a proof of concept. More importantly, this brings my post count to 10, so I now have the permissions to edit my earlier post that got scrambled.

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut

04 Jul 2022 21:27

I've spent the last few weeks working on a new procedural tree generator. Same six parameters as before: age, surface gravity, apparent solar luminosity, moisture, solar spectrum/peak wavelength, and average global temperature. They interact to affect the shape, size and color of the trees, as well as the effective age/evolutionary progress of the biosphere.

Planets with a low effective age are covered in moss/algae. A high effective age yields trees. There's an "age of ferns" in a sweet-spot between them, just after the evolution of vascular plants but before woody tissue, where clumps of fungus of varying shapes (eight modeled, all very simple) also grow.

► Show Spoiler

6x gravity. Stout trees.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Wear sunglasses. 
► Show Spoiler

Fern planet.
► Show Spoiler

Pizza planet.
► Show Spoiler

There are improvements that can be made, particularly with moss and ferngus generation, variety of leaf shapes, branch shape/distribution, but, again, this is just a proof of concept. More importantly, this brings my post count to 10, so I now have the permissions to edit my earlier post that got scrambled.
That's very cool!

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

05 Jul 2022 03:42

► Show Spoiler

6x gravity. Stout trees.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Wear sunglasses. 
► Show Spoiler

Fern planet.
► Show Spoiler

Pizza planet.
► Show Spoiler

Yes, very cool job. We will work on vegetation at some point eventually, probably in 2023, after doing some other important work.