Ultimate space simulation software

hoposhowgo
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

26 Jun 2017 15:02

Great concepts, yet you are not using SE to its full potential. Humans don't need to be high poly, Triple A models. Heck, they could be Rectangular prisms for all I care. Even though I do not care if you do this or not, A few people would appreciate it. I just think it'll be cool.
Hey.

Cesare
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Gameplay concept

10 Jul 2017 18:38

I would like to do missions in Space Engine. Currently there is nothing to do apart from visiting the Universe.
Cesare Vesdani

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

Gameplay concept

11 Jul 2017 03:23

I would like to do missions in Space Engine. Currently there is nothing to do apart from visiting the Universe.
That is going to be added to the game. if you read the Space Engineer's post, you can see what he planned for the game. That would be great indeed for SE. :) 
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Gameplay concept

30 Jul 2017 04:01

I think a human player in 3rd person would be nice as others have said. Just to walk around, gauge size, etc.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Gameplay concept

30 Jul 2017 12:03

When you place a colony, over time there should be some urban sprawl spreading from it, like some smaller domes, greying of the surrounding landscape and city light effects to represent growth and any hills/mountains or uneven terrain nearby becoming flat or terraced to accommodate urbanization while canals are dug in some areas. The larger sprawls would have skyscrapers and arc blocks popping up which, besides being nice eye candy would make for some fun to drive rovers down the streets or fly between them.
The game set will be in a real time. Building a large city from scratch takes decades. So it will not be possible in SE.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Gameplay concept

30 Jul 2017 12:43

Building a large city from scratch takes decades.
Unless you use von Neumann probes, you could crank out a full city in a few months.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Gameplay concept

30 Jul 2017 14:51

Or use Chinese builders :)

Sion
Astronaut
Astronaut

Gameplay concept

02 Aug 2017 20:59

LOL. This is indeed your best bet. I'm sure the Chinese could build Rome in a day,

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

Gameplay concept

03 Aug 2017 06:29

LOL. This is indeed your best bet. I'm sure the Chinese could build Rome in a day,
Cheap work force. :)
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Gameplay concept

15 Aug 2017 21:15

The game set will be in a real time. Building a large city from scratch takes decades. So it will not be possible in SE.
Wait a minute, didn't you say that you wanted nanotechnology to be part of humanity's technological capabilities? If the player announces that a planet is suitable for colonization (And you said that communications would be instantaneous. Quantum entanglement? Do you want to use the word "ansible"?), AI-controlled colony ships could arrive in large numbers and start using nanotech to grow buildings.

It also occurs to me that if we wanted to exploit resources on planets, using nanotechnology to assist with mining would be a more realistic gameplay mechanic than finding everything you need lying on the surface or in shallow caves, like in No Man's Sky.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Gameplay concept

17 Aug 2017 03:01

Of course nanotech could be used to grow cities, but... well... we have a real-life example on nanotech - it is the life. How fast tree or flash can grow? Even if we create artificial organisms specified on a very quick growth, it's doubtful that you can build entire city within few minutes. Months is a more realistic value. "Mechanical" nanotech should have similar physical limitations that life have.

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

Gameplay concept

17 Aug 2017 07:51

Months is a more realistic value. "Mechanical" nanotech should have similar physical limitations that life have.
maybe not entire cities, but some ground structures built in a week or a few days?

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Gameplay concept

17 Aug 2017 09:06

"Mechanical" nanotech should have similar physical limitations that life have.
There are also thermodynamic limits on heat generation that cannot be beaten by any process, so it would take months to grow a full city.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut

Gameplay concept

19 Aug 2017 12:24

What about a sort-of turn based passage of time, a couple hours real-time then a few months pass in a second.
"The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honoured and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage labourers."

kipster
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Gameplay concept

21 Aug 2017 12:27

i used to play a game called captain blood on the commodore 64
you has to travel around the universe to find your clones and assimilate them,
you also had to try to communicate with species via a series of icons
but the one button inside the ship was awesome when frustrated with the game
it blew up the planet you were orbiting...
a button such as this would be kind of cool

the game is still out there on abandonware site, you can play it in your browser
"Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"