Ultimate space simulation software

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

My idea for a small first "gameplay" mechanic - base building

05 Apr 2017 01:46

They are.  You can have any unrealistic orbit you want, like I have done in my Star Trek systems addon
You mean are "not". You've answered our question - they are not using physics.
i9 9900K - 5.0MHz, Palit 2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, Vive Pro

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

05 Apr 2017 03:12

You mean are "not"
No I mean they are "circular" as you put it.  The parameters can be set to match physics, which you should do if you want realism and how the engine sets them procedurally, but in custom catalogs they can be anything you want.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

05 Apr 2017 03:17

Awesome

ephu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

05 Apr 2017 10:58

Yes, as I said in my other comment, a ability to put .obj files in planets will be great!    
That and being able to see friend's ship. That alone will make this even better for me.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

19 May 2017 03:14

0.98 have a fixed/static orbit syntax: it attaches the object to the parent planet.
FixedPosXYZ (x, y, z)
FixedPosPolar (longitude, latitude, radius)
With a static (uncontrollable) ships in 0.981, it is possible to put a model on the planet surface. We need just more convenient way to do this, some tool in the ship editor.

UPD: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=31&start=450#p7691

ephu
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

20 May 2017 09:33

Wow this is very good. SpaceEngineer, if someone make 3d models for bases, will it be as an user addon or as part of main game by default? I plan on making some base models.

Dr. Kaii
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

30 May 2017 12:44

0.98 have a fixed/static orbit syntax: it attaches the object to the parent planet.
FixedPosXYZ (x, y, z)
FixedPosPolar (longitude, latitude, radius)
With a static (uncontrollable) ships in 0.981, it is possible to put a model on the planet surface. We need just more convenient way to do this, some tool in the ship editor.

UPD: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=31&start=450#p7691
Thanks for implementing this! Like, really, thanks! The ability to "walk", even simple, would be a great thing to do next - so we can walk in our bases :)

Sigma
Observer
Observer

25 Jun 2017 09:11

I think the very best thing that can be added to Space Engine that can start very simple and shouldn't (in theory) be a huge project, would be simple base building. Something that can be expanded on and even handed largely over to a modding community. It would give us something to do with all the planets and stars! Other things involve so many intermingling concepts and projects and so much time, whereas a simple base/colony building and sharing mechanic would provide immediate stuff to do, immediate fun and would fit right in with the whole idea of Space Engine. 

Don't get me wrong, I have a HUGE wish list and this isn't even at the top of my wish list, but when thinking what this one-man project could do to add some gameplay quickly, this is the first thing that comes to mind. 
I think the three top things that should be added game-play wise are base/colony/city building, simple terraforming mechanics, and simple cosmic events. As you said it would have to start out small and simple and be built up over time, like the rest of the game was.
Like for barebones mechanics you could have things like colony upgrades, terriforming, object collisions and star expansion/novas happening instantaneously when they're triggered and then come back later on to add the graphic effects and extra mechanics.

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

22 Jan 2018 20:48

I think the very best thing that can be added to Space Engine that can start very simple and shouldn't (in theory) be a huge project, would be simple base building. Something that can be expanded on and even handed largely over to a modding community. It would give us something to do with all the planets and stars! Other things involve so many intermingling concepts and projects and so much time, whereas a simple base/colony building and sharing mechanic would provide immediate stuff to do, immediate fun and would fit right in with the whole idea of Space Engine. 

Don't get me wrong, I have a HUGE wish list and this isn't even at the top of my wish list, but when thinking what this one-man project could do to add some gameplay quickly, this is the first thing that comes to mind. 
I think the three top things that should be added game-play wise are base/colony/city building, simple terraforming mechanics, and simple cosmic events. As you said it would have to start out small and simple and be built up over time, like the rest of the game was.
Like for barebones mechanics you could have things like colony upgrades, terriforming, object collisions and star expansion/novas happening instantaneously when they're triggered and then come back later on to add the graphic effects and extra mechanics.
I have to most certainly agree... I would like to even see base classes with their own menus for building, modding, and docking cargo to prepare for launch to space stations or transport to colonies. Along with this would be nice for certain ship mods to have limited fuel option and ways to keep track of or use ideas from the thread find your way back to Earth to convert fuel on long trips... Base classes with sub menus and upgrades and components necessary to successfully get into space, build stations, hubs from there to prepare long voyages. In the mean time could not bump and texture maps be created to give the 3d illusion of ground bases? Say if its created as a section of tile on a cube map planet.?