Ultimate space simulation software

Matuchkin
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

13 Feb 2021 14:05

Hello,

I have started using SE recently, and I must say that this is a game about exploration. In the opening post and its subsequent comment chain, I have found that the goal of this concept is to create a survival-RTS/resource management game, performed in 3rd person and outside of installations.

I would like to add to this discussion with the following: in my opinion, using any perspective other than 1st person will completely remove the exploration aspect of the upcoming game and destroy all immersion. This game will no longer be awe-inspiring and all sense of scale will be lost, as the experience will turn into a simple survival/strategy game with procedural planets.

The most important reason that this game is as awe-inspiring as it is in its current state is the presence of 3d ground clutter, along with the ability to place the camera close to the terrain and move at 2.00m/s. Remove that ability, and every object in the game would instantly lose its scale. Actual, believable mountain vistas would turn into dynamic wallpapers/backdrops for the actions happening in the foreground.

You stated that the reason for your decision was that a player model would be too difficult for a developer. Allow me to propose an alternative: the player model does not have to be present. Instead, multiple effects could be added on screen (i.e. sliding helmet visor), each of which will be far easier to program than many routine aspects of this game.

The ships could be modelled in the subnautica style: relatively simple interiors with modular items that have a radius at which they could be interacted with.

ghosterneil
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

25 Feb 2021 01:03

I should say that Pionner Space Sim has a good type of game.Many ideas before are very good,but many of them are hard to realize.
Actually , I like frieight or to be a taix driver in pionner.If SE can has several small misson to let me arrive designated place,it must be intersting! At least not to be alone in space.It sounds like space version of the European truck simulator.
Of course,I think SE should and will be better than pionner.Why not start from this?
Or someone can witre a mod of this,I think it is also a good thing.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Gameplay concept

05 Mar 2021 14:12

I should say that Pionner Space Sim has a good type of game.Many ideas before are very good,but many of them are hard to realize.
Actually , I like frieight or to be a taix driver in pionner.If SE can has several small misson to let me arrive designated place,it must be intersting! At least not to be alone in space.It sounds like space version of the European truck simulator.
Of course,I think SE should and will be better than pionner.Why not start from this?
Or someone can witre a mod of this,I think it is also a good thing.
Pioneer is a remake of a game called Frontier: Elite II, Elite being a video game series that started off well in the 1980s before falling flat with Elite Dangerous in 2014. Pretty much every space sim has been influenced by the classic Elite games, so I don't think an introduction is necessary. That being said, I'll be disappointed if it doesn't have at least a million times warp factor rather than real time.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Gameplay concept

05 Mar 2021 14:14

Captains: Maybe the player has a consistent character (card in their ship) which is the captain. This always belongs to the player, essentially the players avatar. This would enable some carry over if you died. If your ship was blown up, maybe all the crew die. However, the captain carries over into the respawned ship.
Save games would be 100x better.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer

Gameplay concept

10 Sep 2021 15:53

I would like to add to this discussion with the following: in my opinion, using any perspective other than 1st person will completely remove the exploration aspect of the upcoming game and destroy all immersion. This game will no longer be awe-inspiring and all sense of scale will be lost, as the experience will turn into a simple survival/strategy game with procedural planets.
If going into 3rd person ruins the game, then it's not an issue of 1st vs 3rd person - the issue runs much deepr.

Vladdd1210
Observer
Observer

Gameplay concept

19 Sep 2021 11:39

What if you add various space companies?
You can make entire hubs, like in other MMO games.
Such companies could be a center of trading, diplomacy, upgrades, and social interaction between players.
The game world can be divided into zones controlled by such space companies. Then their central hubs could serve as a starting point to different locations in the zones controlled by these companies.
Morower these companies or fractions can specialize on some specific resources, technologies, etc. And personally I think that it would be fun, if these companies were ran by players. It can be some sort of alliance with its own commander, strategy and phylosophy. For example you can run a space company and achieve success by trading or you can attack other players and conquer their territory