Ultimate space simulation software

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

Can anyone find a Habitable Rogue planet?

03 Dec 2016 08:16

Can anyone find a Habitable Rogue planet? I have been searching for quite a long time for one, and have found no luck, have you? 
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

03 Dec 2016 12:28

Unless you mean habitable with a space suit, it wouldn't be possible. Even if it was identical to Earth, you would have to adapt to living at 2* Kelvin. If you do mean habitable with the spacesuit, that's fairly easy. Fly to any rogue planet!
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

03 Dec 2016 18:30

Unless you mean habitable with a space suit, it wouldn't be possible. Even if it was identical to Earth, you would have to adapt to living at 2* Kelvin. If you do mean habitable with the spacesuit, that's fairly easy. Fly to any rogue planet!
No I mean one I mean like a desert planet, but I can't find any of those. Also with gravity close to 1g. Maybe an atmosphere of close to 1. 

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

23 Dec 2016 19:45

With no sunlight, the entire atmosphere would be frozen, so any planemo that would have had an atmosphere would be an ice world.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

23 Dec 2016 23:28

You all forget tidal heating. :)  You can certainly find habitable worlds with no sun.

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

24 Dec 2016 02:24

I'm not sure that tidal heating actually works the way it does in Space Engine. Io in real life has 1500° lava, but its surface temperature is still -170°.

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

24 Dec 2016 03:45

Space Engine's tidal heating formula may not be perfectly realistic (it's a simple model for the dissipation of energy in tidal evolution, which itself is pretty accurate, but computing surface temperature based on the tidal heating depends on properties of the world and its atmosphere which are very difficult to model.)

In reality, with an appropriate greenhouse atmosphere, tidal heating could very well yield habitable surface conditions on a rogue planet or moon.  If you do some searching, you can find some journal articles about it. :)

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1086/523103/pdf

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

24 Dec 2016 10:47

Space Engine's tidal heating formula may not be perfectly realistic (it's a simple model for the dissipation of energy in tidal evolution, which itself is pretty accurate, but computing surface temperature based on the tidal heating depends on properties of the world and its atmosphere which are very difficult to model.)

In reality, with an appropriate greenhouse atmosphere, tidal heating could very well yield habitable surface conditions on a rogue planet or moon.  If you do some searching, you can find some journal articles about it. :)

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1086/523103/pdf
Is that one the most habitable one you have found so far? 

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

24 Dec 2016 14:01

It's the only one I've found so far -- I'd never really thought to look for them before and this was my first quick and deliberate search. :)  

In the search settings, try putting the main star as "planemo", object as "planet and moon", set the planet to "gas giant" and moon to "terra" with perhaps 1000LY search radius.  It should be possible to find a few results.

Added:  Here's another nice one.  Raised the exposure and ambient light a little.

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

25 Dec 2016 09:09

It's the only one I've found so far -- I'd never really thought to look for them before and this was my first quick and deliberate search. :)  

In the search settings, try putting the main star as "planemo", object as "planet and moon", set the planet to "gas giant" and moon to "terra" with perhaps 1000LY search radius.  It should be possible to find a few results.

Added:  Here's another nice one.  Raised the exposure and ambient light a little.

How did you turn up the ambient? I found quite a few of them.

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Dec 2016 09:14

How did you turn up the ambient? I found quite a few of them.
If you hover over the lower right corner of your screen (where the magnitude and exposure buttons are) and click the settings wheel. The ambient bar is the second from the bottom. Also "Shift"+"," and "Shift"+"." can also be used (at least I think that's the default).
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

04 Feb 2017 04:48

Could life evolve on a planemo? Also, why do planets in interstellar space have three names (orphan planet, rouge planet, planemo) that describe the same thing?
You should be able to find some with a 50 ly search radius.
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer
Topic Author

04 Feb 2017 08:02

Could life evolve on a planemo? Also, why do planets in interstellar space have three names (orphan planet, rouge planet, planemo) that describe the same thing?
You should be able to find some with a 50 ly search radius.
Its possible. As for your question I'd say different people call them different names.

ProximaCentauriB
Astronaut
Astronaut

19 Feb 2017 00:04

Even if one could exist on a planemo, I wouldn't call it living. Imagine perpetual night time, no beautiful sunlight, ever. I think it would drive many insane to live on a place like that.
Space, the final frontier...
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k 4.0 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

19 Feb 2017 05:13

Even if one could exist on a planemo, I wouldn't call it living. Imagine perpetual night time, no beautiful sunlight, ever. I think it would drive many insane to live on a place like that.
It would drive humans insane, but life on a planemo are not humans, and the life would almost guaranteed live under an ice layer, like the life theorized to be under the ice on Europa(the moon, not the continent) :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.