Ultimate space simulation software

Jackdaw
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

Why are there so much carbon dioxide on life planets?

01 Aug 2017 22:47

Almost all the terras and oceanias with organic (even multicellular) life on them have carbon dioxide as the main component in their atmospheres. Why? That does not make sense. On Earth, plants consume carbon dioxide through photosynthesis, but on those exoplanets (even some planets that are mostly green on their lands), it seems that process doesn't work at all. To be honest, I never seen any life-supporting planet with CO[sub]2[/sub] less than 50% in their atmospheres in SpaceEngine before. 
Why?
scr00005.jpg
"...perch`e i nostri discorsi hanno a essere sopra un mondo sensibile, e non sopra un mondo di carta."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8G RAM: 32 GBs Storage (of SE): WD SN750 250G

Andromeda
Astronaut
Astronaut

02 Aug 2017 04:12

Actually, that's what Earth's atmosphere looked like billions of years ago. It would be nice to have some atmospheres with almost no CO2, but I guess the fact that it happened on Earth was unlikely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event

Jackdaw
Astronaut
Astronaut
Topic Author

02 Aug 2017 05:59

Actually, that's what Earth's atmosphere looked like billions of years ago. It would be nice to have some atmospheres with almost no CO2, but I guess the fact that it happened on Earth was unlikely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event
But even then there should mostly be nitrogen in Earth atmosphere. It's just that oxygen is scarce. 
"...perch`e i nostri discorsi hanno a essere sopra un mondo sensibile, e non sopra un mondo di carta."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8G RAM: 32 GBs Storage (of SE): WD SN750 250G

Cantra
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 Aug 2017 09:59

This is because of the way the algorithm that generates the atmospheres is. Atmospheres in space engine are still a new thing and I won't be surprised if it is changed in the future. But youve also gotta keep in mind that these are alien worlds, to them Earth's atmosphere would be poisonous, not every planet with life out there will be like earth. 
Just a random user on the internet, nothing to see here.

styrax
Observer
Observer

06 Aug 2017 15:47

The life can also rely on chemosynthesis.

Mr. Missed Her
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 Sep 2017 13:51

Maybe there's forms of photosynthesis that are anaerobic, meaning that they don't produce oxygen in this case. There's probably plenty of other reactions that can pull energy from light other than the oxygen-releasing ones we're used to.
Space is very spacious.