Ultimate space simulation software

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Advertising SE?

04 Aug 2017 11:04

said that to spaceguy in the chat, he made a point that if youtuber played it, it would only gain attention for a short time. then people will wait tell the next update cause it got boring. (not that space engine is boring) but just like what Salvo said. there's no clear goal.
so if a famous youtuber played it, it would gain a lot of attention for only a decent amount of time. a lot of people will later stop using it with only some staying.
again, this is very similar to what Salvo said.
I do realize that, but a short attention burst could result in a lot of space lovers getting into it, and the donations peak to increase. Hell, he could even play it at the charity livestreams.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

04 Aug 2017 15:26

Honestly, SE's selling point is the graphics. If the graphical quality increases then it would surely get more people's attention.
People love nothing more than eye-candy, ESPECIALLY space eye-candy. But SE right now looks too computer-generated so how to improve upon that is up to the dev.

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Advertising SE?

04 Aug 2017 16:19

People love nothing more than eye-candy, ESPECIALLY space eye-candy. But SE right now looks too computer-generated so how to improve upon that is up to the dev.
 Even tho 0981 is going to have a lot of new features, planet surfaces need to be more realistic, looking at nebulas, gas giant and galaxies are things the general public won't do. The thing is, when people hear "planet surface" they get crazy. When E:D announced it, people went insane, when SC announces, people went more insane. Anything related to planets gets the general public excited for those sweet eye candy surfaces, with rocks, realistic water, super cool hydrothermal vents, eroded mountains, and 3D clouds. Now, the problem is, as you read, they expect things like this:

You got the idea, they expect thing that simply aren't in the game. Making a more realistic algorithm is a start, but it is very unlikely that SpaceEngineer will have a planetary Duke available anytime soon, and I can't see those updates being made for 0981.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

04 Aug 2017 17:06

Even tho 0981 is going to have a lot of new features, planet surfaces need to be more realistic, looking at nebulas, gas giant and galaxies are things the general public won't do. The thing is, when people hear "planet surface" they get crazy. When E:D announced it, people went insane, when SC announces, people went more insane. Anything related to planets gets the general public excited for those sweet eye candy surfaces, with rocks, realistic water, super cool hydrothermal vents, eroded mountains, and 3D clouds. Now, the problem is, as you read, they expect things like this:

You got the idea, they expect thing that simply aren't in the game. Making a more realistic algorithm is a start, but it is very unlikely that SpaceEngineer will have a planetary Duke available anytime soon, and I can't see those updates being made for 0981.
I think more realistic, dynamic lighting could be a start. 
Realistic nebula and gas giants and galaxies I'm pretty sure the general public would find extremely interesting next to realistic planets. SE in general needs better, realistic graphics.
Attachments
FN2cdqQ.png

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Advertising SE?

04 Aug 2017 18:55

Realistic nebula and gas giants and galaxies I'm pretty sure the general public would find extremely interesting next to realistic planets.
Nebulas are beautiful and gas giants even more, I didn't express myself correctly: Compared to planet surfaces, people don't find them as interesting.

Also, it's vital to understand that the game needs polish and nice features before being presented to the mainstream public. We all know crashes on SE are common and inoffensive, but most gamers don't know that, and if a big youtuber shows "oops, the game crashed again", they will respond in a negative way, bugs and such on the view of the public represent something "bad and broken" instead of something "crazy and cool".

We need to address the problem with "mainstream". A lot of folks will be looking at pretty stuff, not reading info or playing with spaceships (they will learn from the game tho), and the controls and UI needs clearing up, a tutorial is being made, but is it being made correctly? Is it addressing all the units and their meaning? What the classification means? Is it a natural more organic tutorial, or something text heavy and not user friendly?

About realism, planets should be the main priority after nebulas. Right now, people get screwed by the scale, everything feels "to big", from far away it looks nice, with excellent dunes and mountain ranges, but up close it is hard to tell if "it is bigger than a human" than "is that Mount Everest?", rocks would give a basic notion, and more rugdness on the terrain would be appreciated. Some tectonic plates texture to tell if here is supposed to have mountains and volcanoes would give a more realistic vibe than random mountain clusters, a simple weather model telling if it supposed to be 'hot' or 'cold' not just by altitude should be enough for now, and of course, the meme of the forums since forever, 3D water. All those features would be more than nescessary to hook up people, and in general, would be nice additions to the game, making it more varied than we have now. Don't get me wrong, the game looks good and we all lose hours in one system, but sometimes it looks all the same. Selenas with brownish-orangeish tints and (as far as iv'e ever seen), nothing like our moon, gas giants that have different colors and patterns, instead of different cloud types, and life planets not being the most interesting to explore, just to look at. 
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

04 Aug 2017 19:53

About realism, planets should be the main priority after nebulas. Right now, people get screwed by the scale, everything feels "to big", from far away it looks nice, with excellent dunes and mountain ranges, but up close it is hard to tell if "it is bigger than a human" than "is that Mount Everest?", rocks would give a basic notion, and more rugdness on the terrain would be appreciated. Some tectonic plates texture to tell if here is supposed to have mountains and volcanoes would give a more realistic vibe than random mountain clusters, a simple weather model telling if it supposed to be 'hot' or 'cold' not just by altitude should be enough for now, and of course, the meme of the forums since forever, 3D water. All those features would be more than nescessary to hook up people, and in general, would be nice additions to the game, making it more varied than we have now. Don't get me wrong, the game looks good and we all lose hours in one system, but sometimes it looks all the same. Selenas with brownish-orangeish tints and (as far as iv'e ever seen), nothing like our moon, gas giants that have different colors and patterns, instead of different cloud types, and life planets not being the most interesting to explore, just to look at. 
I entirely agree that planets should be number one priority since they're the main focus. But I still believe that lighting should be drastically improved as it sets the immersion of realism and could help with the perception of scales.
Honestly I always found gas giant clouds majorly disappointing, along with selenas and such as you pointed out.
Hopefully with this update with the new planet types and modelling of internal planetary structure we could get more realistic and unique procedural terrain generation.

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Advertising SE?

04 Aug 2017 21:00

But I still believe that lighting should be drastically improved as it sets the immersion of realism and could help with the perception of scales.
Agree, but the new camera effects and auto-exposure are enough for now.
Honestly I always found gas giant clouds majorly disappointing,
Well, the are quite interesting from far away, but up close it gets repetitive (Even tho I love gas giant clouds upclose).
Hopefully with this update with the new planet types and modelling of internal planetary structure we could get more realistic and unique procedural terrain generation.
 I think it's more about the size, density and other "under the hood" factors instead of how the terrain looks.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

04 Aug 2017 21:08

But I still believe that lighting should be drastically improved as it sets the immersion of realism and could help with the perception of scales.
Agree, but the new camera effects and auto-exposure are enough for now.
Honestly I always found gas giant clouds majorly disappointing,
Well, the are quite interesting from far away, but up close it gets repetitive (Even tho I love gas giant clouds upclose).
 I think it's more about the size, density and other "under the hood" factors instead of how the terrain looks.
Well the geology of the surface usually correlates with the composition and density of the planet so I kinda assumed that some terrain modification would be made to be more realistic.

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Advertising SE?

17 Sep 2017 01:13

i am gonna work this week on an updated imgur album with info for the new coming 0.9.8.1 patch. i hope more people will get exposed to SE with it. last time i did it, it got 40000 views!  :)
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Advertising SE?

28 Sep 2017 07:06

so i want to start making the updated imgur album and i need help with listing the new features we want to show to people.
this update is very big so we need to cover lot of stuff with images too to explain the features.
any help with images or listing stuff will be very useful,
thanks!  :)  :D
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

30 Sep 2017 14:39

so i want to start making the updated imgur album and i need help with listing the new features we want to show to people.
this update is very big so we need to cover lot of stuff with images too to explain the features.
any help with images or listing stuff will be very useful,
thanks!  :)  :D
We should probably wait until a fixed released date can be narrowed down when SpaceEngineer thinks it's appropriate. People can lose interest pretty quickly, especially if no promised release date is given. So we should focus on advertising 9.8.0 for now. ;v

MineCrafter473
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Advertising SE?

24 Oct 2017 04:05

I had an idea for a way to make SE known. try reaching out to television companies like Samsung or lg and show them SE. and make a deal with them that they can feature it on display for hdr and 4k uhd and oled and all that. then in return you get a small profit of what they make off selling the TV's. I would love to be walking down the tv isle and see SE in all it beautiful glory.
CPU:Intel core i7 8700k @ 3.8Ghz
RAM:16gb ddr4-3000
GPU:RTX 2080 8gb vram
STORAGE:Samsung 512gb 970 pro m.2 ssd, 1tb ssd