Ultimate space simulation software

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

27 Jul 2017 02:34

I want to have a discussion about helping rise the rate of donations for SE.

Mostly, I want to figure out a way to make SE popular. For that we need new content that is attractive enough to attract a steady amount of players into SE which a portion of could make mods to maintain a large and steady community- like with Minecraft. Problem is the rate of updates, which are adversely affected by the rate of donations.

I've had few plans, but the one I think would be most successful at accomplishing this is social media (i,e sites like Reddit would be a good example.)
We need to increase the rate of donations, so how do we accomplish this?

That I do not know. Which is why I made this thread to discuss this with smarter people. :D
Post any of your ideas!

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Advertising SE?

27 Jul 2017 09:17

For that we need new content that is attractive enough to attract a steady amount of players into SE which a portion of could make mods to maintain a large and steady community- like with Minecraft. Problem is the rate of updates, which are adversely affected by the rate of donations.
Yeah, you're right.
The problem that affects both Minecraft and Space Engine (this one in particular) is that there is not a clear goal. Why does a lot of people keeps playing many FPS games even if they're not frequently updated? Because there is a true game in them. Space Engine it's not even a game, so the most interesting thing you can do, in a YouTube video for example, is showing off the latest features. That's why people keeps being interested in Yandere Simulator, because they want to try to latest things that have been added, then... they just close the game or get bored very easily.

I'm not saying Space Engine is boring, I'm saying it doesn't have a goal, and it's not as easy as Minecraft or Kerbal Space Program to create mods. You can't just "create new gamemodes" or things like that, the best you can do is creating systems, spacecrafts or interface/graphics customizations.

So the planetarium will never become popular. But the game that will be made using Space Engine might, even because there is already a community behind the engine and a lot of people knowing the project. The problem is that this game doesn't exists, and I'm not sure Vladimir has a clear plan for it.  :)
I've had few plans, but the one I think would be most successful at accomplishing this is social media (i,e sites like Reddit would be a good example.)
Yeah, this would indeed be very useful! Making SE into a meme it's impossible, but trying to do so would definitely help spreading the word.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

27 Jul 2017 11:18

For that we need new content that is attractive enough to attract a steady amount of players into SE which a portion of could make mods to maintain a large and steady community- like with Minecraft. Problem is the rate of updates, which are adversely affected by the rate of donations.
Yeah, you're right.
The problem that affects both Minecraft and Space Engine (this one in particular) is that there is not a clear goal. Why does a lot of people keeps playing many FPS games even if they're not frequently updated? Because there is a true game in them. Space Engine it's not even a game, so the most interesting thing you can do, in a YouTube video for example, is showing off the latest features. That's why people keeps being interested in Yandere Simulator, because they want to try to latest things that have been added, then... they just close the game or get bored very easily.

I'm not saying Space Engine is boring, I'm saying it doesn't have a goal, and it's not as easy as Minecraft or Kerbal Space Program to create mods. You can't just "create new gamemodes" or things like that, the best you can do is creating systems, spacecrafts or interface/graphics customizations.

So the planetarium will never become popular. But the game that will be made using Space Engine might, even because there is already a community behind the engine and a lot of people knowing the project. The problem is that this game doesn't exists, and I'm not sure Vladimir has a clear plan for it.  :)
Yeah, this would indeed be very useful! Making SE into a meme it's impossible, but trying to do so would definitely help spreading the word.
Games with no goals such as sandbox games can be mitigated with replay value, such as new content as you've said. The way Minecraft adds replay value is through wondrous procedural generation which makes the exploration experience exciting. SE definitely is capable of this, but it's procedural generation- especially of planets, does not encompass enough depth to build new feelings of new and exciting. Everything starts to feel repetitive and bland, while in Minecraft you can find countless random things going due how terrain generation works. Granted it does wear off eventually, but Minecraft has a bigger community to create mods which significantly mitigate this and a large developer team to constantly add fresh water to the game.

Personally for me,  Space Engine doesn't need to have an FPS Sci-Fi Exploration game types going. The reason why FPS are popular is due to two things 1. New stream of content and 2. Multiplayer. Sure you have goals, but if the game never updates you'd eventually get tired of playing the same routine game modes. SE, in my opinion, would work best as a Survival Sandbox MMO; like Minecraft. It just needs better replay value. Interactive and engaging.

Firstly though, SE needs funding. We gotta figure out a way to get this Engine popular so it can be developed at a better pace with quality features. ;p

Speedademon
Astronaut
Astronaut

Advertising SE?

27 Jul 2017 13:37

SE, in my opinion, would work best as a Survival Sandbox MMO; like Minecraft. It just needs better replay value. Interactive and engaging.
http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32
Future SpaceEngine game will be spaceflight-exploration game.
The way we can make SE more famous is simple : we can share SE contents(videos, screenshots) on related online communities. In those communities, it is very likely that theres lot peoples want something like SE.
 But the game that will be made using Space Engine might, even because there is already a community behind the engine and a lot of people knowing the project. The problem is that this game doesn't exists, and I'm not sure Vladimir has a clear plan for it.
Maybe we can set SE's biggest goal 'Making SE game' and let others know about this big plan.
Hi I like fraid chikin

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

Advertising SE?

29 Jul 2017 06:30

Actually, Reddit is a great source of donations. Sometimes posts there are go to top and staying there for a while, and this correlates with a local peak in donation rate.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

29 Jul 2017 06:42

Actually, Reddit is a great source of donations. Sometimes posts there are go to top and staying there for a while, and this correlates with a local peak in donation rate.
Yeah but the thing is that there haven't been any significant posts of SE in like 8 months. The last post related to SE was a ''For every upvote I donate 1 dollar'' kinda post. Overall the rate of donations is still crawling (I'm assuming of course, so refute that statement if you must.) But we need to get SE out there more somehow, and get people's attention. Steam is another way to advertise SE; I mean just look at how popular Astroneer got there.

But about Reddit, if you have any ideas on a post that could potentially spark attention among the Reddit community- go ahead because that's what I've been trying to figure out. ;/

EDIT: Idea...Kickstarter maybe?

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Advertising SE?

29 Jul 2017 07:39

if i remember correctly, you can't launch a kickstarter in russia.
BTW months ago i created this imgur album with info. it got 50k views.
i will be glad if someone will post it again on reddit or anywhere else. it may help to boost donations  :) i allready posted this in SE and space sub reddit and i dont want to spam with this every time.

i can edit it for the 0.9.8.1 update with images from there when this version is done  :)
Last edited by Spacer on 29 Jul 2017 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

29 Jul 2017 07:47

if i remember correctly, you can't launch a kickstarter in russia.
BTW months ago i created this imgur album with info. it got 50k views.
i will be glad if someone will post it again on reddit or anywhere else. it may help to boost donations  :) i allready posted this in SE and space sub reddit and i dont want to spam with this every time.

i can edit it for the 0.8.1 update with images from there when this version is done  :)
I can't find any sources on why you can't start a Kickstarter in Russia...
Very nice pics! Though we're gonna need a little more than just pictures to get people's attention. ;p

Spacer
Pioneer
Pioneer

Advertising SE?

29 Jul 2017 07:57

"On October 31, 2012, Kickstarter opened projects based in the United Kingdom, followed by projects based in Canada on September 9, 2013, Australia and New Zealand on November 13, 2013, Denmark, Ireland, Norway, and Sweden on September 15, 2014, Spain on May 19, 2015, and Singapore and Hong Kong on August 30, 2016"
from wikipedia
there are limited countries in which you can start a project
"man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"
-Andre Gide

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

29 Jul 2017 08:14

"On October 31, 2012, Kickstarter opened projects based in the United Kingdom, followed by projects based in Canada on September 9, 2013, Australia and New Zealand on November 13, 2013, Denmark, Ireland, Norway, and Sweden on September 15, 2014, Spain on May 19, 2015, and Singapore and Hong Kong on August 30, 2016"
from wikipedia
there are limited countries in which you can start a project
Patreon perhaps? Maybe Space Engineer can set one up and have packets of experimental updates and changes up for anyone who's a Patreon? That way you can have a better incentive to donate to get earlier features while he develops new updates.

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

Advertising SE?

30 Jul 2017 05:33

I have one idea...

What if Space Engine becomes sponsor to certain youtubers and other famous people? We have very limited amount of youtubers that would be interested in that since most of the famous channels aren't science and space related. What about Veritasium or some smaller youtubers? I don't think that big channels as Veritasium will accept that since they would think that isn't worthy for them. Channels as Anton Petrov are small and would at least boost donations. But, if some big youtubers accept advertising it, they need to show some stuff that people will be interested. Currently, SE doesn't have some "epic" features that would increase donations and that would youtubers show to public.

Give also your opinion about this idea of sponsorship and advertising on youtube channels. 
But, maybe we should give it a try? :)
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

waterlubber
Observer
Observer

Advertising SE?

30 Jul 2017 20:25

Sharing space engine's content and stuff through Reddit, other social media, recommendations, et. al bring in a lot of traffic, and any community members can help with the effort.

A Patreon for Space Engine would be cool, at least -- not so much a kickstarter as "you can get development builds this way."
IIRC Factorio did something a little different, they would let you put your name in the game for an early payment -- SE could do the same, donations can allow people to set default names for ships or NPCs.
I remember the old forum!

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

Advertising SE?

03 Aug 2017 07:18

Sharing space engine's content and stuff through Reddit, other social media, recommendations, et. al bring in a lot of traffic, and any community members can help with the effort.

A Patreon for Space Engine would be cool, at least -- not so much a kickstarter as "you can get development builds this way."
IIRC Factorio did something a little different, they would let you put your name in the game for an early payment -- SE could do the same, donations can allow people to set default names for ships or NPCs.
The problem with social media is that our community is small and we don't have enough features in SE to attract and maintain a larger community. A larger community = more publicity, especially in social media. We need to garner a lot of attention first, how we do so idk. Waiting for each update certainly doesn't help.

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Advertising SE?

03 Aug 2017 20:23

Why not Markiplier? He loves space and would be more than happy showing it.
S M OO T H RºCªMBºLºNE

the photo guy
Explorer
Explorer

Advertising SE?

03 Aug 2017 20:51

Why not Markiplier? He loves space and would be more than happy showing it.
I said that to spaceguy in the chat, he made a point that if youtuber played it, it would only gain attention for a short time. then people will wait tell the next update cause it got boring. (not that space engine is boring) but just like what Salvo said. there's no clear goal.
so if a famous youtuber played it, it would gain a lot of attention for only a decent amount of time. a lot of people will later stop using it with only some staying.
again, this is very similar to what Salvo said. 
I don't really come on here anymore, I used to! a lot. but now Its kind of just for news and stuff. I don't talk anymore :/