Free planetarium

Dazoth
Observer
Topic Author

Copyright / Music for ingame records

03 Jan 2017 01:44

Hello Space Engine Fans,

First of all i'd like to thank the community and of course Vladimir Romanyuk for their awesomeness.

I've been trying to record some space trips and sharing them on youtube, but i'm experiencing copyright troubles for some "ingame" music tracks.
So i'm comin here to ask if anyone got an answer about i should manage it.
- Wishing i could keep the original tracks of Space Engine.
- Should I just leave those awesome musics outside of my footage.

Thx for reading
Peace
Daz

Gnargenox
Explorer

04 Jan 2017 23:44

Fair use of material is a grey area governed by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). You can hire a lawyer to translate it into English. Claiming "Fair use" is really a last ditch effort to not break the law. You might be able to use copyrighted material if it is for non-profit, but that doesn't mean YouTube won't put ads over your video. It might make a difference if you are only using a portion of the music. It might matter that SE is not commercially sold, but having that song out there might affect SE's potential market value, which YouTube doesn't want to be responsible for. Best bet is to use YouTube's own royalty free library of music tracks and add that to your video. Or even better yet, get a license from the makers of the music in SE saying you can use it. A note saying "Yeah, it's ok" in a forum won't cut it. You must contact them directly and pay. One final option is to distort the music so that it is not detected by their tracking system called ContentID, by either changing the speed or adding a filter to it such as a voice synth. I'm sure you knew all this already. This message will self destruct in 10 minutes.
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

ProximaCentauriB
Observer

18 Feb 2017 22:10

Doesn't Space Engine allow their music to be used freely on YouTube? Surely, they know people put videos of their sessions on YouTube!
Space, the final frontier...
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k 4.0 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine

21 Feb 2017 00:45

Does youtube blocks out SE music? On which reason? That music is not copyrighted, it belongs to its authors. Maybe if you add a mark: "Music - SpaceEngine soundtrack" they will accept it.

Salvo
Space Pilot

21 Feb 2017 04:30

It does, I've made a video using SE music and I received a Copyright Claim.

Content: A.e.r.o. - Kepler-186F (Space Engine OST)-7275 - aeromusic
Author: AdRev for Rights Holder

I was also sure this music was not copyrighted (free to use with non-commercial products?), but maybe YouTube monetization does violates the copyright licence.
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

DoctorOfSpace
Pioneer

21 Feb 2017 13:47

It might be free to use music, but not music you can use for anything else which is why it is claimed.  Creative commons doesn't mean copyright free.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Dazoth
Observer
Topic Author

25 Apr 2017 02:46

Thanks for your replies everyone, It took a few days for Youtube to deal with the audio copyright but they allow it after a reclaim so everything is fine just not smooth.
;)

HarbingerDawn
Astronaut

25 Apr 2017 16:03

Salvo wrote:
I was also sure this music was not copyrighted (free to use with non-commercial products?), but maybe YouTube monetization does violates the copyright licence.

Monetized YouTube video = commercial use. If something is free to use non-commercially, it means that you cannot monetize it.
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 4096 MB VRAM