Page 3 of 7

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 22 Jan 2017 11:57
by Canleskis
SpaceEngineer wrote:
This is how it looks now. Debug text in the progress bar can be switched off in the config.

splash.png

The idea is great but imo, even if it's not very important, the design seems old so maybe you should think of redesigning it to make it more attractive and "up to date" since SpaceEngine will be on Steam soon and people will probably ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎ about it. (no trying to be mean or anything but I heard a lot that the interface is ugly and not attractive at all)

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 22 Jan 2017 13:35
by curl
"To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit."
- Stephen Hawking, Astrophysicist

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 22 Jan 2017 16:06
by Mosfet
Canleskis wrote:
Source of the post more attractive and "up to date"

Small off-topic: I keep reading this, but could someone point me in the general direction of an up-to-date interface as of today? Just curious.
Because if people is attracted to things like Material Design, then I guess I'm old enough.

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 23 Jan 2017 00:12
by Canleskis
Mosfet wrote:
Canleskis wrote:
Source of the post more attractive and "up to date"

Small off-topic: I keep reading this, but could someone point me in the general direction of an up-to-date interface as of today? Just curious.
Because if people is attracted to things like Material Design, then I guess I'm old enough.


(Sorry for the off-topic again)
Not necessarily a Materiel Design but maybe something that at least doesn't look like it comes from the beginning of Internet. (if you don't know what I mean try going on Web Archive and see by yourself how famous websites looked back this time.)

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 23 Jan 2017 02:56
by Salvo
SpaceEngineer wrote:
This is how it looks now.

Is it "one sentence per time"? Because it would be nice if it showed it for n seconds then faded away and another sentence appeared, so if loading time takes a lot you have something that catches your brain. (of course only if it's easy to implement)

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 23 Jan 2017 07:00
by Mosfet
Canleskis, unfortunately ;) I'm old enough to experience the net since the world wide web was just born :D. Mosaic was the first browser I installed for my Windows 3.11, and this was the average page (actually there are horizontal rules, it was above average LOL):
Image

That's why I asked for examples :)
Anyone?

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 23 Jan 2017 08:53
by Canleskis
Well for exemple I could give Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous to stay in the space mood but more generalĺy a game that comes out today can be a good example of the standards games must have today so people don't bother about it. Although I can understand since I'm probably much youger than you so I unfortunately have standards that you don't have.

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 23 Jan 2017 13:19
by Mosfet
heheh I'd say for me it's all wonderful anyway  ;)

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 23 Jan 2017 16:20
by JCandeias
Hehehe. Kids these days. No respect for their elders. ;)

Canleskis, I think you may be missing a couple of points here. One is you can't expect an engine developped by basically one guy to compete against gaming megacorp-designed games. SpaceEngineer has been focusing on building a scientifically accurate universe, not really in designing stuff for a fancy game with lots of bling to wow players into buying it. Which brings us to the second point. Space Engine is quite a different beast from those examples of yours. For now, it's not even a game, strictly speaking, but a game engine still very much under developement. Even when it's finished as a game, it aims to attract a different crowd; take a stroll through the gameplay discussions in the old forum and you'll see what I mean.

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 23 Jan 2017 23:46
by Quontex
Canleskis wrote:
The idea is great but imo, even if it's not very important, the design seems old so maybe you should think of redesigning it to make it more attractive and "up to date" since SpaceEngine will be on Steam soon and people will probably *** about it. (no trying to be mean or anything but I heard a lot that the interface is ugly and not attractive at all)

Keep in mind it's probably very alpha, As far as I know developers like to get the mechanics going before making it look pretty, I am certain it's going to look awesome in time :D


Anyway, Essentially this is "Beauty is only skin deep" But I feel it's more fitting for space.

'Observing' is not where the beauty lies, It's 'Knowing'

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 24 Jan 2017 04:39
by Canleskis
JCandeias wrote:
Hehehe. Kids these days. No respect for their elders. ;)

Canleskis, I think you may be missing a couple of points here. One is you can't expect an engine developped by basically one guy to compete against gaming megacorp-designed games. SpaceEngineer has been focusing on building a scientifically accurate universe, not really in designing stuff for a fancy game with lots of bling to wow players into buying it. Which brings us to the second point. Space Engine is quite a different beast from those examples of yours. For now, it's not even a game, strictly speaking, but a game engine still very much under developement. Even when it's finished as a game, it aims to attract a different crowd; take a stroll through the gameplay discussions in the old forum and you'll see what I mean.


That's not what I meant by giving examples, of course a single indie developer cannot reach what a AAA developer can reach, the examples I gave were simply about the fancy interface those games have, even by not using the material design.
Secondly I know what SpaceEngine is expected to be and I'm really happy with it, though I know by experience that an average player would no be attracted by SpaceEngine because it looks very difficult. Almost everyone I tried to convince SpaceEngine was amazing told me it is boring or too difficult to be played, so they give up even though I tried my best to explain them how much potential SpaceEngine has. I've been following SpaceEngine for 3 years now and I've been playing it a lot, a very lot. I do not post really often on the forums but I read most of it, so I understand you see me as a random guy who just discovered SE and don't know there's one developer but it isn't the case and here I was just trying to give an example of why SpaceEngine lacks popularity (even though I'm sure SpaceEngineer is not aiming for that).

Quontex, I agree with you on this point, but as I said earlier this could boost SpaceEngine popularity since it is coming on Steam soon.

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 24 Jan 2017 06:10
by Mosfet
Usually no update comes out without many improvements on tools and interface, next one will be no exception for what I can see.
Canleskis, I see your point.

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 27 Jan 2017 08:45
by Beduino
Astronomy is useful because it raises us above ourselves; it is useful because it is grand… It shows us how small is man’s body, how great his mind, since his intelligence can embrace the whole of this dazzling immensity, where his body is only an obscure point, and enjoy its silent harmony. 

— Henri Poincaré

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 28 Jan 2017 13:23
by The Potato
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                                                                                                                          -Albert Einstein

Quotes about Universe for loading window

Posted: 28 Jan 2017 13:29
by The Potato
We are part of this universe; we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts, is that the universe is in us.
                                                                                                                                                                     -Neil deGrasse Tyson