Ultimate space simulation software

Watsisname
Science Officer
Science Officer

Quotes about Universe for loading window

20 Dec 2016 00:13

"I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."
J. B. S. Haldane

"Since one of the most wondrous and noble questions in Nature is whether there is one world or many, a question that the human mind desires to understand, it seems desirable for us to inquire about it."
Albertus Magnus, 13th century

"Go, wond'rous creature, mount where Science guides,
Go, measure earth, weigh air, and state the tides,
Instruct the planets in what orbs to run,
Correct old time, and regulate the Sun."
Alexander Pope (1733)

"Traveler, there are no paths.
Paths are made by walking."
Antonio Machado (1940)

"The world stands before us as a great, eternal riddle."
Einstein (1949)

"We will first understand how simple the universe is,
when we realize how strange it is."
-Anon.

StarStuff
Observer
Observer

20 Dec 2016 05:01

Since this could so easily turn into a Sagan quote fest, since he had an enormous number of wonderful and eloquent quotes, I think we should focus on finding quotes from people OTHER than Sagan. Not as fun or as easy, I know, but we really should have quotes from a diverse range of people.
I agree completely; no more Sagan's quote from me, then. Here are more quotes that I got from http://www.spacequotations.com/search.html, the site that SpaceEngineer referred in first post:

The moon is the first milestone on the road to the stars. — Arthur C. Clarke

Our sun enlightens the planets that belong to him; why may not every fixed star also have planets to which they give light? — Bernard Le Bovier de Fontenelle, A week's conversation on the plurality of worlds, 1686. (English translation by William Gardiner, 1728.)

I will love the light for it shows me the way; yet I will love the darkness for it shows me the stars. — Augustine "Og" Mandino, 'The Scroll Marked II,' The Greatest Secret in the World, 1972

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering. — Arthur C. Clarke

We know the number of stars in the universe is something like one followed by 23 zeros. Given that number, how arrogant to think ours is the only sun with a planet that supports life, and that it's the only solar system with intelligent life. — Edward J. Weiler, NASA Director, Washington Post newspaper, 20 July 2008

Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science. — Edwin Hubble, The Nature of Science, 1954

In my studies of astronomy and philosophy I hold this opinion about the universe, that the Sun remains fixed in the centre of the circle of heavenly bodies, without changing its place; and the Earth, turning upon itself, moves round the Sun. — Galileo Galilei, letter to Cristina di Lorena, Grandduchess of Tuscany, 1615.

There is in the universe neither center nor circumference. — Giordano Bruno, 'On the Infinite Universe and Worlds,' 1584

Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer that we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose. — J. B. S. Haldane, Possible Worlds, 1927.

The universe is wider than our views of it. — Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854.

We should do astronomy because it is beautiful and because it is fun. We should do it because people want to know. We want to know our place in the universe and how things happen. — John N. Bahcall, Sky and Telescope magazine, January 1990

Astronomy is the science of the harmony of infinite expanse. — John Russell
The site actually has a nice collection of space-related quotes; too bad it can only show 50 results maximum for a keyword. The above quotes are searched using the keyword "star", "stars", "universe", and "science". If you want to contribute but don't know where to search, perhaps you can try to search on the site with other keywords, so we don't search for the same thing twice. But of course feel free to redo what I did if you are skeptical about my selection.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Dec 2016 06:42

Here are some quotes. Maybe not all fit. But whatever.
I am a great fan of science, but I cannot do a quadratic equation.
Terry Pratchett

Time travel used to be thought of as just science fiction, but Einstein's general theory of relativity allows for the possibility that we could warp space-time so much that you could go off in a rocket and return before you set out.
Stephen Hawking

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
Albert Einstein

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.
Robert A. Heinlein

Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another.
Plato

Astronomy's much more fun when you're not an astronomer.
Brian May

Astrology is an aesthetic affront. It cheapens astronomy, like using Beethoven for commercial jingles.
Richard Dawkins

Certainly the history of astronomy shows that every time we thought we were special, we were wrong.
Seth Shostak

The most remarkable discovery in all of astronomy is that the stars are made of atoms of the same kind as those on the earth.
Richard P. Feynman

I got into science fiction by being interested in astronomy first.
Terry Pratchett

Before a war military science seems a real science, like astronomy; but after a war it seems more like astrology.
Rebecca West

The thing I like about astronomy is being outside at night and seeing the stars in a dark sky. It makes you feel small.
Jimmy Walker

From the moment of using rocket devices, a great new era will begin in astronomy: the epoch of the more intensive study of the firmament.
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

XBrain130
Explorer
Explorer

21 Dec 2016 12:13

So here's all the quotes from the game series I mentioned. Some of them are just inspirational and not related to space tho:
"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

"Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down."  -Jimmy Durante (1893 - 1980)

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."  -Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."  -Jimi Hendrix (1942 - 1970)

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."  -Will Durant (1885 - 1981)

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."  -Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

"While we are postponing, life speeds by."  -Seneca (3BC – 65 AD)

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."  -Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

"Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."  -Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."  -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

"The mistakes are all waiting to be made."  -Chessmaster Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower (1887 - 1956)

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."  -Yoda

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."  -Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

"Tell me, o Muse, of that ingenious hero who travelled far and wide..."  -Homer's Odyssey (800 BC)

"Whatever trip we start, it is for the search of happiness. But happiness is here."  -Quintus Flaccus (238 - 209)

"Nothing is constant but change."  -Sakyamuni, founder of Buddhism (563 - 483)

"The only ones who fly are the ones who dare to fly."  -Luis Sepulveda, Chilean writer (1949 - )

"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the infinite shines."  -Confucius (551 - 479)

"While the other animals are prone and fix their gaze on the earth, the god gave man a face uplifted, bade him stand erect and turn his eyes to the stars."  -Publius Ovidius Naso (Metamorphoses I. 84-6)

"The greatest thing / You'll ever learn / Is just to love and / Be loved in return"  -Eden Ahbez (1908 - 1995)

"May god stand between you and harm, in all the dark places you must walk."  -Ancient Egyptian proverb

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting, is the highest skill."  -Sun-Tsu (500 BC)

"There must be something worth living for / There must be something worth trying for / Even some things worth dying for / And if one man can stand tall / There must be some hope for us all / Somewhere, somewhere in the spirit of man"  -"War of the Worlds" musical by Jeff Wayne

"Mother, I saw a dream in the night. There were stars in the sky for me."  -The Epic of Gilgamesh (around 800 BC)

"The greatest gain from space travel consists in the extension of our knowledge. In a hundred years this newly won knowledge will pay huge and unexpected dividends."  -Wernher von Braun (1912 - 1977)

"To go places and do things that have never been done before - that's what living is all about."  -Michael Collins (1930 - )

"It's human nature to stretch, to go, to see, to understand. Exploration is not a choice, really; it's an imperative."  -Michael Collins (1930 - )

"Don't tell me that man doesn't belong out there. Man belongs wherever he wants to go - and he'll do plenty well when he gets there."  -Wernher von Braun (1912 - 1977)

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken bird that cannot fly."  -Langston Hughes (1902 - 1967)

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open."  -Thomas Dewar (1864 - 1930)

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."  -Les Brown (1912 - 2001)

"What is now proved was once only imagined."  -William Blake (1757 - 1827)

"Even a fool knows you can't touch the stars, but it doesn't stop a wise man from trying."  -Harry Anderson (1952 - )

"And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  -Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

"Following the light of the sun, we left the Old World."  -Inscription on Columbus' caravels

"Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country."  -Anais Nin (1903 - 1977)

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it."  -William Arthur Ward (1921 - 1994)

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."  -Jules de Gautier (1811 - 1872)

"The journey is the reward."  -Taoist saying

"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."  -Ursula K. Le Guin (1929 - )

"The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."  -Eden Phillpotts (1862 - 1960)

"Your current safe boundaries were once unknown frontiers."  -Unknown

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."  -Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 - 1962)

"Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born."  -Dale Turner

"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere."  -Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

"Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree on."  -Unknown

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."  -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."  -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."  -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."  -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  -Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

"Time is the fire in which we burn."  -Delmore Schwartz (1913 - 1966)

"I don't know what you could say about a day in which you have seen four beautiful sunsets."  -John Glenn (1921 - 2016)

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."  -Neil Armstrong (1930 - 2012)

"To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit."  -Stephen Hawking (1942 - )

"Science-fiction yesterday, fact today, obsolete tomorrow."  -Otto O. Binder (1911 - 1974)

"There shall be wings! If the accomplishment be not for me, 'tis for some other. The spirit cannot die; and man, who shall know all and shall have wings..."  -Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)

"Man's mind and spirit grow with the space in which they are allowed to operate."  -Krafft A. Ehricke (1917 - 1984)

"The important thing is not to stop questioning."  -Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

"You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck... I have no time for such nonsense."  -Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"The Earth is a cradle of the mind, but we cannot live forever in a cradle."  -Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky (1857 - 1935)

"Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering."  -Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away, if your car could go straight upwards."  -Sir Fred Hoyle (1915 - 2001)

"Space is big. Really big."  -Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

"I measured the skies / Now the shadows I measure / Skybound was the mind / Earthbound the body rests."  -Johannes Kepler (1571 - 1630)

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought."  -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi (1893 - 1986)

"Whether outwardly or inwardly, whether in space or time, the farther we penetrate the unknown, the vaster and more marvellous it becomes."  -Charles A. Lindbergh (1902 - 1974)
SpaceEngine's Italian Discord server: https://discord.gg/NhQbEbC

ImAPie
Observer
Observer

10 Jan 2017 10:22

What about having both quotes and the "understandable" debug information? Just give the debug lines a smaller font size at lower part of the screen, and have the quotes in big font at the center.
Space pie, the most delicious pie.

problemecium
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

10 Jan 2017 12:53

HEY GUYS I GOT SOME
;P
ᴩʀoʙʟᴇᴍᴇᴄɪᴜᴍ﹖

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

10 Jan 2017 14:22

problemecium,while I find the black science guy and dumb science guy memes to be funny I don't think this is the appropriate place.  
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

midtskogen
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

10 Jan 2017 14:42

I like insights dating from the antiquity, though not always derived correctly.  For instance, Lucretius (1st century BC, paraphrasing 4th century BC Epicurus who believed in an infinite universe and many earths):"It cannot by any means be thought likely that this is the only round earth and sky that has been made".  As always originally written in impeccable hexameters:

nullo iam pacto uerisimile esse putandumst
hunc unum terrarum orbem caelumque creatum
NIL DIFFICILE VOLENTI

Voubi
Observer
Observer

11 Jan 2017 03:28

Got this one:
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known..."
                                                                                    -Carl Sagan

Anyway, very good idea SpaceEngineer...
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known..."
-Carl Sagan

waterlubber
Observer
Observer

16 Jan 2017 20:41

I made a Google Sheets (basically an Excel Spreedsheet/list) for some of the ones I've found in the thread.
You can add to it if you'd like; here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wUrQJ2Qg6D1b6mYCyb6D_W7LZ9EDEKOUQW-reGLrjuM/edit?usp=sharing
I remember the old forum!

Quontex
Observer
Observer

19 Jan 2017 04:32

This a simple one I came up with, It's so simple however any number of people could have come up with it. It is the basis of my ideas and my life (I'm an aspiring astrophysicist) 
We don't know what we don't know -  Unknown
My little tidbit into this conversation. 
Specs: i5 6600K - No OC / GTX 960 FTW - @ 1380mhz OC / 16GB of RAM / 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Jan 2017 10:09

Apparently, Donald Rumsfeld
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

20 Jan 2017 22:36

“You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a b***h.'” 
                              - Edgar D. Mitchell
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

22 Jan 2017 10:24

“You develop an instant global consciousness, a people orientation, an intense dissatisfaction with the state of the world, and a compulsion to do something about it. From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a b***h.'” 
This is is too large. The limit in size is something like this:
"The total number of stars in the Universe is larger than all the grains of sand on all the beaches of the planet Earth. - Carl Sagan"
Too large quote also could be impossible to read, because SE can load in just few seconds.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

22 Jan 2017 10:57

This is how it looks now. Debug text in the progress bar can be switched off in the config.
splash.png
splash.png (292.74 KiB) Viewed 8558 times