Ultimate space simulation software

bmigs01
Observer
Observer

Quotes about Universe for loading window

15 Mar 2017 19:14

I have a really good one! 
"Maybe the time is not quite yet. But those are the worlds promising untold opportunities" - Carl Sagan
"Never stop creating!" - Ben Migliore www.benmigliore.com

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

16 Mar 2017 07:01

bmigs01, it is a good quote but
Since this could so easily turn into a Sagan quote fest, since he had an enormous number of wonderful and eloquent quotes, I think we should focus on finding quotes from people OTHER than Sagan. Not as fun or as easy, I know, but we really should have quotes from a diverse range of people.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

16 Mar 2017 13:20

I think humans will reach Mars, and I would like to see it happen in my lifetime.
- Buzz Aldrin

The Earth is the cradle of humanity, but mankind cannot stay in the cradle forever.
- Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

Gnargenox
World Builder
World Builder

16 Mar 2017 22:23

We meet aliens every day who have something to give us. They come in the form of people with different opinions. ~ William Shatner

My folks came to U.S. as immigrants, aliens, and became citizens. I was born in Boston, a citizen, went to Hollywood and became an alien. ~ Leonard Nimoy
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4GHz / GPU: GeForce GT 730 @ 1920x1080, 60Hz with 1GB adapter RAM / RAM: Patriot Signature 4GB 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 (only 2GB work, don't buy it) / Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming MS-7693

Quizzical kid
Observer
Observer

24 Mar 2017 17:09

Great idea, Space Engineer! I went through some lists of quotes, and pulled out the ones I thought best for space engine:

From http://www.spacequotations.com/magicspacequotes.html

Per Aspera, Ad Astra.
— "Through hardships, To the stars." Motto of NASA and the South African Air Force. From Seneca the Younger.

Space is to place as eternity is to time.
— Joseph Joubert

The flight experience itself is incredible. It’s addictive. It’s transcendent. It is a view of the grand plan of all things that is simply unforgettable.
— Scott Carpenter, astronaut. Interview with the Rocky Mountain News.

From https://todayinsci.com/QuotationsCatego ... ations.htm

Astronomy taught us our insignificance in Nature. 
— Ralph Waldo Emerson
In 'Historic Notes of Life and Letters in New England', Emerson's Complete Works: Lectures and Biographical Sketches (1883), 317. 

It is a most beautiful and delightful sight to behold the body of the moon. 
— Galileo Galilei
In pamphlet, The Sidereal Messenger (1610), reprinted in The Sidereal Messenger of Galileo Galilei: And a Part of the Preface to the Preface to Kepler's Dioptrics Containing the Original Account of Galileo's Astronomical Discoveries (1880), 8. 

The contemplation of celestial things will make a man both speak and think more sublimely and magnificently when he descends to human affairs. 
— Marcus Tullius Cicero
In Louis Klopsch, Many Thoughts of Many Minds (1896), 18. 

Whatever else astronomy may or may not be who can doubt it to be the most beautiful of the sciences? 
— Isaac Asimov
Epigraph in Isaac Asimov’s Book of Science and Nature Quotations (1988), 26. 

Certainly one of the most enthralling things about human life is the recognition that we live in what, for practical purposes, is a universe without bounds. 
— James Alfred Van Allen

No storyteller has been able to dream up anything as fantastically unlikely as what really does happen in this mad Universe. 
— Robert Heinlein
Time Enough For Love: the Lives of Lazarus Long (1973, 1987)

We should do astronomy because it is beautiful and because it is fun. We should do it because people want to know. We want to know our place in the universe and how things happen. 
— John N. Bahcall
From interview in 'A New Decade Dawns for Astronomy', Sky and Telescope (Jan 1990), 79, No. 1, 19. The quote is cited in Current Biography Yearbook (2000), 30. 

Put three grains of sand inside a vast cathedral, and the cathedral will be more closely packed with sand than space is with stars. 
— Sir James Jeans
In 'Our Home in Space.' In R.C. Prasad (ed.), Modern Essays: Studying Language Through Literature (1987), 26.

From http://www.seasky.org/quotes/space-quotes-stars.html

"It is a pity, in an age of rockets and space telescopes, that so few people have a direct acquaintance with the stars."
— Richard Berry, Discover the Stars (p. 2)

MrZoolook
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

19 Sep 2017 21:21

I may have missed this one, and I'd be surprised if it isn't already suggested.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."
John F. Kennedy
M/B: F1A55-MLE // CPU: AMD A8-3870 (o/c) // RAM: 2x4gb // GPU: Radeon R7-240 2gb

RockoRocks
Observer
Observer

20 Sep 2017 11:47

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this, but when the quotes will be translated, is there anyone yet to translate them to Dutch? If not, then I would gladly fulfill that task.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

20 Sep 2017 12:46

Sorry if this isn't the right thread to post this, but when the quotes will be translated, is there anyone yet to translate them to Dutch? If not, then I would gladly fulfill that task.
I think this thread would have been the right one: Translators

The quotes are part of the 'ned-gui.cfg'. And they are already up to date.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

20 Sep 2017 16:06

Some intriguing ones:

"Man follows only phantoms."
Pierre-Simone Laplace

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"
H.P. Lovecraft

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity"
H.P. Lovecraft

"Some day the piecing together of dissociated knoldge will open up such terryfying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

H.P. Lovecraft

"And I will show you something different from either your shadow at morning striding behind you or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
T.S. Eliot

I like the last one because it remind me about entropy. That handful of dust is terrifying because in it I can see the death of the universe.

Well, next time I hope to have some more possitive quotes! :D

RockoRocks
Observer
Observer

21 Sep 2017 03:40

Thank you for your reply, JackDole.
My apologies again if this is a dumb question, but are these quotes implemented already in 0.9.8.0? SpaceEngineer posted a screenshot on page 2 of this thread showing what it would look like in 0.9.8.0, but I don't see quotes on my splash screen. Do I have to enable this via some .cfg file? Or has this feature not been added yet?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Sep 2017 05:39

but are these quotes implemented already in 0.9.8.0?
No.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

22 Sep 2017 00:44

Some intriguing ones:

"Man follows only phantoms."
Pierre-Simone Laplace

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"
H.P. Lovecraft

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity"
H.P. Lovecraft

"Some day the piecing together of dissociated knoldge will open up such terryfying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

H.P. Lovecraft

"And I will show you something different from either your shadow at morning striding behind you or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
T.S. Eliot

I like the last one because it remind me about entropy. That handful of dust is terrifying because in it I can see the death of the universe.

Well, next time I hope to have some more possitive quotes! :D
Cheer up FFT! If my favored cyclic model is correct and w<-1 then the universe can come back empty and restart :-)  Entropy would actually help reboot the universe!  Just like Isaac Asimov said in The Last Question "Let there be light!"

GullWings
Observer
Observer

01 Dec 2017 23:40

.SpaceEngineer,
I would prefer an option to provide confirmation of loading of catalogs, shaders, etc as an additional feature for startup.

:P

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

02 Dec 2017 02:38

I would prefer an option to provide confirmation of loading of catalogs, shaders, etc as an additional feature for startup
This already exists
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer

02 Dec 2017 12:30

A bit too much cliche in this thread... if I were to include anything from really famous people, it would only be one of their lesser known quotes. (Nothing from Sagan, he's an overrated blowhard.)

So now that I've got my crotchety old man complaints out of the way:

"I conclude therefore that this star [supernova] is not some kind of comet or a fiery meteor, but that it is a star shining in the firmament itself - one that has never previously been seen before our time, in any age since the beginning of the world."
- Tycho Brahe

"When I follow the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth, I ascend to Zeus himself to feast on the food of the gods."
- Ptolemy

"Drink wine and look at the moon, and think of all the civilizations it has seen passing by."
- Omar Khayyam

"The stars, like dust, encircle me
In living mists of light;
And all of space I seem to see
In one vast burst of sight."
- Isaac Asimov

"Astronomy? Impossible to understand and madness to investigate."
- Sophocles

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
- Oscar Wilde

"If you think this universe is bad, you should see some of the others."
- Philip K. Dick

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."
- Neil Armstrong

"When the Sun shrinks to a dull red dwarf, it will not be dying. It will just be starting to live and everything that has gone before will merely be a prelude to its real history."
- Arthur C. Clarke

"My lord, they say five moons were seen tonight. Four fixed, and the fifth did whirl about the other four in wondrous motion."
- William Shakespeare

"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible player."
- Albert Einstein

"You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop."
- Rumi

And I thought this one was particularly fitting for Space Engine:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature."
- Karl Schroeder
Last edited by Mouthwash on 03 Dec 2017 00:33, edited 3 times in total.