Ultimate space simulation software

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut

Quotes about Universe for loading window

22 Jan 2017 13:57

This is how it looks now. Debug text in the progress bar can be switched off in the config.

splash.png
The idea is great but imo, even if it's not very important, the design seems old so maybe you should think of redesigning it to make it more attractive and "up to date" since SpaceEngine will be on Steam soon and people will probably ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎ about it. (no trying to be mean or anything but I heard a lot that the interface is ugly and not attractive at all)

curl
Observer
Observer

22 Jan 2017 15:35

"To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit."
- Stephen Hawking, Astrophysicist

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

22 Jan 2017 18:06

more attractive and "up to date"
Small off-topic: I keep reading this, but could someone point me in the general direction of an up-to-date interface as of today? Just curious.
Because if people is attracted to things like Material Design, then I guess I'm old enough.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut

23 Jan 2017 02:12

more attractive and "up to date"
Small off-topic: I keep reading this, but could someone point me in the general direction of an up-to-date interface as of today? Just curious.
Because if people is attracted to things like Material Design, then I guess I'm old enough.
(Sorry for the off-topic again)
Not necessarily a Materiel Design but maybe something that at least doesn't look like it comes from the beginning of Internet. (if you don't know what I mean try going on Web Archive and see by yourself how famous websites looked back this time.)

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

23 Jan 2017 04:56

This is how it looks now.
Is it "one sentence per time"? Because it would be nice if it showed it for n seconds then faded away and another sentence appeared, so if loading time takes a lot you have something that catches your brain. (of course only if it's easy to implement)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 570 RAM: 8 GBs

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Jan 2017 09:00

Canleskis, unfortunately ;) I'm old enough to experience the net since the world wide web was just born :D. Mosaic was the first browser I installed for my Windows 3.11, and this was the average page (actually there are horizontal rules, it was above average LOL):

That's why I asked for examples :)
Anyone?
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut

23 Jan 2017 10:53

Well for exemple I could give Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous to stay in the space mood but more generalĺy a game that comes out today can be a good example of the standards games must have today so people don't bother about it. Although I can understand since I'm probably much youger than you so I unfortunately have standards that you don't have.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

23 Jan 2017 15:19

heheh I'd say for me it's all wonderful anyway  ;)

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

23 Jan 2017 18:20

Hehehe. Kids these days. No respect for their elders. ;)

Canleskis, I think you may be missing a couple of points here. One is you can't expect an engine developped by basically one guy to compete against gaming megacorp-designed games. SpaceEngineer has been focusing on building a scientifically accurate universe, not really in designing stuff for a fancy game with lots of bling to wow players into buying it. Which brings us to the second point. Space Engine is quite a different beast from those examples of yours. For now, it's not even a game, strictly speaking, but a game engine still very much under developement. Even when it's finished as a game, it aims to attract a different crowd; take a stroll through the gameplay discussions in the old forum and you'll see what I mean.
My addons are to be found at JCandeias' Ships

Current count: 2

Quontex
Observer
Observer

24 Jan 2017 01:46

The idea is great but imo, even if it's not very important, the design seems old so maybe you should think of redesigning it to make it more attractive and "up to date" since SpaceEngine will be on Steam soon and people will probably *** about it. (no trying to be mean or anything but I heard a lot that the interface is ugly and not attractive at all)
Keep in mind it's probably very alpha, As far as I know developers like to get the mechanics going before making it look pretty, I am certain it's going to look awesome in time :D

Anyway, Essentially this is "Beauty is only skin deep" But I feel it's more fitting for space.
'Observing' is not where the beauty lies, It's 'Knowing'
Specs: i5 6600K - No OC / GTX 960 FTW - @ 1380mhz OC / 16GB of RAM / 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD

Canleskis
Astronaut
Astronaut

24 Jan 2017 06:39

Hehehe. Kids these days. No respect for their elders. ;)

Canleskis, I think you may be missing a couple of points here. One is you can't expect an engine developped by basically one guy to compete against gaming megacorp-designed games. SpaceEngineer has been focusing on building a scientifically accurate universe, not really in designing stuff for a fancy game with lots of bling to wow players into buying it. Which brings us to the second point. Space Engine is quite a different beast from those examples of yours. For now, it's not even a game, strictly speaking, but a game engine still very much under developement. Even when it's finished as a game, it aims to attract a different crowd; take a stroll through the gameplay discussions in the old forum and you'll see what I mean.
That's not what I meant by giving examples, of course a single indie developer cannot reach what a AAA developer can reach, the examples I gave were simply about the fancy interface those games have, even by not using the material design.
Secondly I know what SpaceEngine is expected to be and I'm really happy with it, though I know by experience that an average player would no be attracted by SpaceEngine because it looks very difficult. Almost everyone I tried to convince SpaceEngine was amazing told me it is boring or too difficult to be played, so they give up even though I tried my best to explain them how much potential SpaceEngine has. I've been following SpaceEngine for 3 years now and I've been playing it a lot, a very lot. I do not post really often on the forums but I read most of it, so I understand you see me as a random guy who just discovered SE and don't know there's one developer but it isn't the case and here I was just trying to give an example of why SpaceEngine lacks popularity (even though I'm sure SpaceEngineer is not aiming for that).

Quontex, I agree with you on this point, but as I said earlier this could boost SpaceEngine popularity since it is coming on Steam soon.

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

24 Jan 2017 08:10

Usually no update comes out without many improvements on tools and interface, next one will be no exception for what I can see.
Canleskis, I see your point.

Beduino
Observer
Observer

27 Jan 2017 10:45

Astronomy is useful because it raises us above ourselves; it is useful because it is grand… It shows us how small is man’s body, how great his mind, since his intelligence can embrace the whole of this dazzling immensity, where his body is only an obscure point, and enjoy its silent harmony. 

— Henri Poincaré

The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut

28 Jan 2017 15:23

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                                                                                                                          -Albert Einstein
"The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honoured and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage labourers."

The Potato
Astronaut
Astronaut

28 Jan 2017 15:29

We are part of this universe; we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts, is that the universe is in us.
                                                                                                                                                                     -Neil deGrasse Tyson
"The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honoured and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage labourers."