Ultimate space simulation software

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Quotes about Universe for loading window

04 Dec 2017 04:43

Google translate gives these translations.

German:
Und so gingen wir wieder zu den Sternen.
Und dann gingen wir die Sterne zu sehen.
English:
And so we went out to see the stars again.
And then we went to see the stars.
Especially the first in German, I find very beautiful. Although maybe not quite right.
The English translation of this quote would be:
And so we went back to the stars.

JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

04 Dec 2017 06:01

I am not saying for sure, but looks like font (or whatever it is) is not supported at loading screen for Cyrillic and maybe for some other writings.
SE uses default system font to print text on the loading window:
    HFONT hFontDef = reinterpret_cast<HFONT>(GetStockObject(DEFAULT_GUI_FONT));

So as long as localization in SE matches user's system localization, it must be displayed without problem.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

04 Dec 2017 06:07

Mosfet, what if after release we'll start a thread for fixing the loading screen quotes translations? Maybe some users who are familiar with a "canonic" translations could suggest them instead of those made by SE team.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer

04 Dec 2017 07:30

"When the Sun shrinks to a dull red dwarf, it will not be dying. It will just be starting to live and everything that has gone before will merely be a prelude to its real history."

---> Translating to Dutch

"Wanneer de zon krimpt tot een saaie rode dwerg zal hij niet sterven, hij zal gewoon beginnen te leven en alles wat eerder is geweest, zal slechts een voorspel zijn van zijn echte geschiedenis."

---> Then Greek

"Όταν ο ήλιος συρρικνώνεται σε ένα θαμπό κόκκινο νάνο δεν θα πεθάνει, θα αρχίσει να ζει και όλα όσα έχουν προηγουμένως θα είναι μόνο ένα προοίμιο της πραγματικής του ιστορίας".

---> Then Hindi

"जब सूर्य एक सुस्त लाल बौना में गिरता है, वह मर नहीं जाएगा, यह जीवित होना शुरू हो जाएगा और जो कुछ भी पहले से ही उसके सच्चे इतिहास की शुरुआत है।"

---> And back to English

"When the sun falls in a dull red dwarf, it will not die, it will start to survive and whatever is already the beginning of its true history."

Now this looks pretty bad, but that's four transitions altogether. Here's the Dutch, Greek, and Hindi translations from (and back to) English only.

A: "When the sun shrinks to a dull red dwarf he will not die, he will just start to live and everything that has been before will only be a prelude to his real history."

B: "When the Sun shrinks into a dull red dwarf, it will not die, it will begin to live, and all that has been before will be just a prelude to its true history."

C: "When the sun shrinks to a dull red dwarf, it will not die. It will just start to survive and whatever has gone before it will only be the beginning of its true history."

All of them are very clear and understandable. And it's Google freaking Translate. Surely this task doesn't require trained professionals to do properly.
Last edited by Mouthwash on 04 Dec 2017 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

04 Dec 2017 08:49

Mouthwash, I'm guessing you haven't studied language very much, and/or don't have much experience working with translations and foreign languages. Translating something to another language in Google Translate and back to the first language doesn't work like you think it does, and does not give an indication of the quality of the translation. This is something that I say from experience.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

04 Dec 2017 13:13

Mosfet, what if after release we'll start a thread for fixing the loading screen quotes translations? Maybe some users who are familiar with a "canonic" translations could suggest them instead of those made by SE team.
Maybe I've made it sound like it's a big issue, and I'm sorry because, you know, it's not. But sure, it's a nice idea.
All of them are very clear and understandable. And it's Google freaking Translate. Surely this task doesn't require trained professionals to do properly.
If you really think that literary artworks can be properly translated by a bot, that's fine, I'll not ruin your illusion.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

04 Dec 2017 14:50

Mouthwash, Google translations don't translate directly from some language to another. But rather they use English as a bridge. I am not sure if that way of translating is still here, or that counted long ago. But I am sure that for many languages, translations use English as a reference. And google translate isn't the only way of translating without professionals. So, majority of translators in this community should leave translations? Of course not. And if you want professionals, you need to pay them for professional translations. These currently are free and are wouldn't be any different than professional translation (there would be, but not noticeable for a player).

I know that you want the best for SE, but we need to use what we have and be satisfied until better options are available.
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer

04 Dec 2017 15:10

If you really think that literary artworks can be properly translated by a bot, that's fine, I'll not ruin your illusion.
I don't. I was just pointing out that, if a bot could do as good as job as that, then a human should have no problem.

But fine! I accept that there may be things I don't understand about translation. I do wonder if there will ever be Hebrew localization for SE...

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

02 Aug 2018 22:51

This is an interesting quote I found while perusing my old Rene Descartes books, it is relevant to technology and math (I think), so it may fit for SE:

"The Conquest of Nature is to be achieved through Number and Measure"

Apparently an angel told him that in a dream.
Futurum Fusionem

JKerman
Astronaut
Astronaut

11 Jan 2019 04:22

Here's a few I personally wrote:

"The existence of the universe itself is the largest unexplained phenomenon we know of."

"The mind can carry you to astonishing places that no vehicle could ever reach."

"We must not be afraid to travel from our peaceful cosmic backyard to the bustling city that is the universe."

"Will we be interstellar explorers, or interstellar refugees? It's completely up to us."

"In our endless voyage among the stars, imagine what we have yet to see."

Dario Tomassini (My real name)

snyper1188
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

25 Apr 2019 23:42

Hey y'all, here are a few quotes I found while surfing the webs...  I hope there aren't any repeats, I tried to read all of the quotes before listing these, but it's late, and I'm tired, and may list one already suggested...  Here they are!

The sun is the primary puzzle in the universe. 
Eugene Parker

Space, the whole universe - I know no better place to find new physics. 
Eugene Parker

The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.  
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Space only becomes ordinary when the frontier is no longer being breached. 
Neil deGrasse Tyson

I think we are at the dawn of a new era in commercial space exploration. 
Elon Musk

Once you've been in space, you appreciate how small and fragile the Earth is. 
Valentina Tereshkova

I don't think the human race will survive the next thousand years, unless we spread into space. 
Stephen Hawking

If we drive down the cost of transportation in space, we can do great things. 
Elon Musk

The feeling is constantly growing on me that I had been the first to hear the greeting of one planet to another. 
Nikola Tesla

Hey sky, take off your hat, I'm on my way!  
Valentina Tereshkova

I think the universe is pure geometry - basically, a beautiful shape twisting around and dancing over space-time. 
Antony Garrett

If it hadn't been for the Cold War, neither Russia nor America would have been sending people into space. 
James Lovelock

If the Earth gets hit by an asteroid, it's game over. It's control-alt-delete for civilization. 
Bill Nye

When you're getting ready to launch into space, you're sitting on a big explosion waiting to happen. 
Sally Ride

A zero-gravity flight is a first step toward space travel. 
Stephen Hawking

On Earth, men are seen as superior because of their physical strength, but it means nothing in space, where there is no gravity. 
Yi So-Yeon

If we want to travel into the future, we just need to go fast. Really fast. And I think the only way we're ever likely to do that is by going into space. 
Stephen Hawking

Space is almost infinite. As a matter of fact, we think it is infinite. 
Dan Quayle

When you launch in a rocket, you're not really flying that rocket. You're just sort of hanging on. 
Michael P. Anderson

NASA space scientists have been studying giraffe skin so they can apply what they learn from it to the construction of spacesuits. Joanna Lumley

You think of floating on a rock in space as so alien, but that's exactly what we're doing. 
Winnie Harlow

Space is an inspirational concept that allows you to dream big. 
Peter Diamandis

Houston, Tranquillity Base here.  The Eagle has landed.  
Neil Armstrong

The really wonderful thing that happened to me when I was in space was this feeling of belonging to the entire universe. 
Mae Jemison

I have wanted to fly into space for many years, but never imagined it would really be feasible. 
Stephen Hawking

I always knew I'd go to space. 
Mae Jemison

Land on Mars, a round-trip ticket - half a million dollars. It can be done. 
Elon Musk

If anyone has a vested interest in space solar power, it would have to be me. 
Elon Musk

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

27 Jul 2019 00:11

Nothing is more active than thought, for it flies over the whole universe.
Thales

What is there in places empty of matter? and Whence is it that the sun and planets gravitate toward one another without dense matter between them?
Isaac Newton

What indeed is more beautiful than heaven, which of course contains all things of beauty?
Nicolaus Copernicus

There ought to be something very special about the boundary conditions of the universe, and what can be more special than that there is no boundary?
Stephen Hawking

To the rest of the Galaxy, if they are aware of us at all, Earth is but a pebble in the sky. To us it is home, and all the home we know.
Isaac Asimov

Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in a cradle forever.
Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

alastircook827
Observer
Observer

04 Sep 2021 01:08

I love interesting universe quotes online and my favourite is:
“There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that’s your own self.” – Aldous Huxley