Ultimate space simulation software

JackDole
World Builder
World Builder

Quotes about Universe for loading window

04 Dec 2017 02:43

Google translate gives these translations.

German:
Und so gingen wir wieder zu den Sternen.
Und dann gingen wir die Sterne zu sehen.

English:
And so we went out to see the stars again.
And then we went to see the stars.

Especially the first in German, I find very beautiful. Although maybe not quite right.
The English translation of this quote would be:
And so we went back to the stars.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

04 Dec 2017 04:01

Marko S. wrote:
Source of the post I am not saying for sure, but looks like font (or whatever it is) is not supported at loading screen for Cyrillic and maybe for some other writings.

SE uses default system font to print text on the loading window:

HFONT hFontDef = reinterpret_cast<HFONT>(GetStockObject(DEFAULT_GUI_FONT));

So as long as localization in SE matches user's system localization, it must be displayed without problem.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

04 Dec 2017 04:07

Mosfet, what if after release we'll start a thread for fixing the loading screen quotes translations? Maybe some users who are familiar with a "canonic" translations could suggest them instead of those made by SE team.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer

04 Dec 2017 05:30

"When the Sun shrinks to a dull red dwarf, it will not be dying. It will just be starting to live and everything that has gone before will merely be a prelude to its real history."

---> Translating to Dutch

"Wanneer de zon krimpt tot een saaie rode dwerg zal hij niet sterven, hij zal gewoon beginnen te leven en alles wat eerder is geweest, zal slechts een voorspel zijn van zijn echte geschiedenis."

---> Then Greek

"Όταν ο ήλιος συρρικνώνεται σε ένα θαμπό κόκκινο νάνο δεν θα πεθάνει, θα αρχίσει να ζει και όλα όσα έχουν προηγουμένως θα είναι μόνο ένα προοίμιο της πραγματικής του ιστορίας".

---> Then Hindi

"जब सूर्य एक सुस्त लाल बौना में गिरता है, वह मर नहीं जाएगा, यह जीवित होना शुरू हो जाएगा और जो कुछ भी पहले से ही उसके सच्चे इतिहास की शुरुआत है।"

---> And back to English

"When the sun falls in a dull red dwarf, it will not die, it will start to survive and whatever is already the beginning of its true history."

Now this looks pretty bad, but that's four transitions altogether. Here's the Dutch, Greek, and Hindi translations from (and back to) English only.

A: "When the sun shrinks to a dull red dwarf he will not die, he will just start to live and everything that has been before will only be a prelude to his real history."

B: "When the Sun shrinks into a dull red dwarf, it will not die, it will begin to live, and all that has been before will be just a prelude to its true history."

C: "When the sun shrinks to a dull red dwarf, it will not die. It will just start to survive and whatever has gone before it will only be the beginning of its true history."

All of them are very clear and understandable. And it's Google freaking Translate. Surely this task doesn't require trained professionals to do properly.
Last edited by Mouthwash on 04 Dec 2017 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

04 Dec 2017 06:49

Mouthwash, I'm guessing you haven't studied language very much, and/or don't have much experience working with translations and foreign languages. Translating something to another language in Google Translate and back to the first language doesn't work like you think it does, and does not give an indication of the quality of the translation. This is something that I say from experience.
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Mosfet
World Builder
World Builder

04 Dec 2017 11:13

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post Mosfet, what if after release we'll start a thread for fixing the loading screen quotes translations? Maybe some users who are familiar with a "canonic" translations could suggest them instead of those made by SE team.

Maybe I've made it sound like it's a big issue, and I'm sorry because, you know, it's not. But sure, it's a nice idea.

Mouthwash wrote:
Source of the post All of them are very clear and understandable. And it's Google freaking Translate. Surely this task doesn't require trained professionals to do properly.

If you really think that literary artworks can be properly translated by a bot, that's fine, I'll not ruin your illusion.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Marko S.
Explorer
Explorer

04 Dec 2017 12:50

Mouthwash, Google translations don't translate directly from some language to another. But rather they use English as a bridge. I am not sure if that way of translating is still here, or that counted long ago. But I am sure that for many languages, translations use English as a reference. And google translate isn't the only way of translating without professionals. So, majority of translators in this community should leave translations? Of course not. And if you want professionals, you need to pay them for professional translations. These currently are free and are wouldn't be any different than professional translation (there would be, but not noticeable for a player).

I know that you want the best for SE, but we need to use what we have and be satisfied until better options are available.
Specs: Ram: 8gb | Vram: 1gb | Graphics card: AMD Radeon | Hard-drive: 1tb | Processor: AMD Athlon X4 750 Quad Core Processor | CPU: 3.40 GHz | OS: Win 10 and XP (lol) |
We use time just to orientate through space.

Mouthwash
Explorer
Explorer

04 Dec 2017 13:10

Mosfet wrote:
If you really think that literary artworks can be properly translated by a bot, that's fine, I'll not ruin your illusion.

I don't. I was just pointing out that, if a bot could do as good as job as that, then a human should have no problem.

But fine! I accept that there may be things I don't understand about translation. I do wonder if there will ever be Hebrew localization for SE...

Stellarator
Pioneer
Pioneer

02 Aug 2018 20:51

This is an interesting quote I found while perusing my old Rene Descartes books, it is relevant to technology and math (I think), so it may fit for SE:

"The Conquest of Nature is to be achieved through Number and Measure"

Apparently an angel told him that in a dream.
Futurum Fusionem