SpaceEngine TODO

15 Mar 2017 00:51

Salvo, you're not alone, I hate the network too :D

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

SpaceEngine TODO

16 Mar 2017 18:46

Anyway, I should note: as long as SE is a scientifically accurate Universe simulator, then one day it will implement ALL space objects and phenomenon that are known to modern astronomy (if this would be possible to implement on the personal computers). So you may not bother yourself with questions like "will SE one day have meteor rain implemented". I guarantee that it WILL.
When you said this, it is planned to simulate the light ? That is to say if one is at 1 astronomical unit of an object, one sees the object how it was it has about 9 minutes.
Even the Big Bang ?
Good luck to implement it if yes.
I've been waiting for 5 years, its gonna be a long wait
I think it will be soon with the new surface layers even if we will not be able to enter the buildings because it will probably use a bump map as the surface so there will be no bridges and structure with space under it at the moment.
It's going to be a Big Bounce instead of a Big Bang, as the latest theories (like Loop Quantum Cosmology) predict a contracting universe prior to the Big Bang, and possibly even a cyclic one.  And other universes inside Kerr Black Holes which have two event horizons.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

SpaceEngine TODO

16 Mar 2017 18:47

Why you need the network and making the ugly game like the combat -_- I prefer no combat nor network. I Only playing without the stupid network because if ever I lost my internet I can't play.  I prefer to explore in peace. :x
It means that these features will be possible to be implemented in an eventual game, not that SpaceEngine's planetarium will use them. I think the planetarium will just have a server to automatically download exoplanet/catalog data and share discoveries though internet, but that's just my supposition, maybe it will be present in the code but not used.
Updating exoplanets, comets, asteroids, satellites, ISS, etc- like the way Starry Night Pro Plus 7.5 does it would be grand!

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

SpaceEngine TODO

17 Mar 2017 16:43

For example I can't play GTA 5 longer than a month because of new updates. They weight from 500 to 2000 MBs, and the launcher has the worst optimized netcode I ever found in a software. As soon as I start downloading them, any other thing I (and my parents) wants to do on the internet becomes impossible, and, if that was not enough, sometimes the connection drops and you need to start all over again. I don't know if it's because it has a sort of certification method that uploads data while downloading, but it makes me incredibly angry everytime I try to download any of them. This is basically why I also hate networking in games.
I believe you can configure firewall to limit bandwidth for the game.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

SpaceEngine TODO

17 Mar 2017 16:49

Updating exoplanets, comets, asteroids, satellites, ISS, etc- like the way Starry Night Pro Plus 7.5 does it would be grand!
Who will do that? I believe Starry Night has a large team, they monitoring astronomical discoveries and quickly add new ones to the program's database. This cannot be done automatically. Even NASA exoplanet database has errors, typos and missing data, which must be corrected by human before adding to the program.
This is why I rely on community in this question. This is why I have made so many effort to typing a large and detailed documentation of the modding system in SE, even with my limited knowledge of English.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

SpaceEngine TODO

18 Mar 2017 17:46

SE I think Stellarium also updates exoplanets, but they only update the markers.  The update feature is completely automatic for comets, asteroids, exoplanets, etc as they update once a day.  Maybe we can have add ons that allow us to do this, one of my frustrations with Celestia was that they stopped updating the program- for what reason I don't know :(

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

SpaceEngine TODO

18 Mar 2017 18:18

Probably because preparing such updates for non commercial software can be fun only to an extent. When it becomes a tiresome duty, a burden or for other personal reasons, people that volunteered have to step back. With some luck, someone else will help keeping the software alive and well, or it will fade away like hundreds of other software apps.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

SpaceEngine TODO

18 Mar 2017 21:51

I would love to help in this regard (and would do it for free! I love this project!)- if only I knew how to do it.

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

SpaceEngine TODO

21 Mar 2017 04:37

A-L-E-X, if you want to help with new exoplanets/galaxies/whatever, you can make mods with said exoplanets/galaxies/whatever. Introduction to mod-making is here. :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

The_Blazer
Observer
Observer

SpaceEngine TODO

21 Mar 2017 17:48

Uh, maybe this should be updated? I know that most fans here know about the newer versions already, but the 0.978 release was in 2016 and an out-of-date list might give the impression of dead development to newcomers.
Born too early to explore space... but just in time for Space Engine!

Xoran
Pioneer
Pioneer

SpaceEngine TODO

22 Mar 2017 08:54

Uh, maybe this should be updated? I know that most fans here know about the newer versions already, but the 0.978 release was in 2016 and an out-of-date list might give the impression of dead development to newcomers.
I agree. :)
Space is too big to understand, so do not try to understand.

SCtester
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

SpaceEngine TODO

06 May 2017 13:57

There are so many things that could be updated, but I thought I'd give my two cents about what I would prioritize if I were in SpaceEngineer's situation. I know this list would be different for everyone, but hey, there's no harm in sharing my thoughts. Some of these aren't listed in the official todo list, so I might as well bring the ideas up now. So this is, in my opinion, the changes I'm most looking forward to, #1 being what I am most wanting:
  1. Volumetric clouds 
  2. 3D, reflective water with waves (Check out this Minecraft shaderpack with amazing looking water - Something like this would just be spectacular, however I am unsure of the feasibility.)
  3. Increased surface detail, so you could stand on the surface of a planet with it still looking somewhat realistic (as well as possibly rocks and trees)
  4. The ability for modders to change the GUI (As a graphic designer, the current, rather retro-looking GUI is just hard to deal with xD)
  5. Improved search function, the current method feels awkward and cumbersome
  6. Improved gas giants using the volumetric clouds, so that landing on them doesn't feel like you're on a rocky planet
  7. Improved auto-velocity, possibly similar to Google Earth. So as you get closer you get to a planet, the camera speed will gradually decrease. The further out into empty space you get, the faster the camera moves
So that's about it. Any updates to SpaceEngine I would be very happy about, this is just my personal opinion for what I'd love to see the most. 

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

SpaceEngine TODO

14 May 2017 12:39

Volumetric clouds 
3D, reflective water with waves (Check out this Minecraft shaderpack with amazing looking water - Something like this would just be spectacular, however I am unsure of the feasibility.)
Increased surface detail, so you could stand on the surface of a planet with it still looking somewhat realistic (as well as possibly rocks and trees)
This coincides with my priorities :) (aside from some technical work needed to be done to prepare engine for these features).
The ability for modders to change the GUI (As a graphic designer, the current, rather retro-looking GUI is just hard to deal with xD)
This is possible since 0.9.7.3. Nobody made a custom skin though, maybe because there was no tutorial.
Also, take a look on the latest dev update.

Hornblower
Pioneer
Pioneer

SpaceEngine TODO

16 May 2017 16:52

Holes in the surface (caves, mines)
How hard is this going to be to implement? This is something that would be really cool to see 
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

SpaceEngine TODO

18 May 2017 06:00

How hard is this going to be to implement? This is something that would be really cool to see 
Impossible :) Voxel engine is needed for this.