Ultimate space simulation software

Nebulax
Space Tourist
Space Tourist
Topic Author

Future of space engine

06 Apr 2020 07:34

Hello

I'd like to know what the future plans are for the space engine.
Mostly I'm talking about plans to add new content rather than bug fix updates.
Personally I would love you to develop the flight simulation and creative skills a bit. I think it has a lot of potential and would give more sense and use to the whole program.

Bye!

Zi7ar21
Observer
Observer

Future of space engine

22 May 2020 13:22

Hello

I'd like to know what the future plans are for the space engine.
Mostly I'm talking about plans to add new content rather than bug fix updates.
Personally I would love you to develop the flight simulation and creative skills a bit. I think it has a lot of potential and would give more sense and use to the whole program.

Bye!
Bug fixes and performance enhancements are like the #1 thing SE needs right now though
New content would be cool but it wouldn't be any fun if it was too broken
Proud Owner of SpaceEngine and SE PRO
Hardware

Desktop:
AMD Phenom II X6 1035T
ZOTAC GAMING GeForce GTX 1650 OC
9GB DDR3-1333 RAM
1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Laptop:
Intel Core i7-1065G7
Intel Iris Plus Graphics
16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
512GB NVMe 1.3 SSD

Zebra Zed
Observer
Observer

Future of space engine

22 Oct 2020 14:48

I do not know what the future plans are going to be about for Space Engine. I am thrilled with excitement to know what the future plans are going to be. What are the future development plans for Space Engine?
Riddler

Shaggy
Observer
Observer

Future of space engine

25 Jan 2021 17:57

I'm... Confused. When SE appeared on Steam I was so hyped, happy I could buy it to support the development. But it really looks like the forums died since... And the progress slowed down drastically. We rarely get any updates and lately these were minor things, mostly some asset updates. I think we deserve some more information on the progress. What are we standing on? Does it really make sense for me to check the site every several days for updates? I assumed the Steam release will give it a kick. Certainly I thought the team working on SE would expand. According to steamdb a lot of people bought it, so money shouldn't be an issue.

So... What's up? Is there still a single developer working on it? Is the project even actively worked on, or is the only developer focused on some side project like OVERVIEW? Will SE get a proper team working on it? Were the money earned through Steam invested in SE development in any way? What can we expect? I don't need to know details, but as I said at the beginning, I'm really confused. The TODO list includes a lot of complex plans, which, as far as we know, are not even worked on yet. Assuming development speed we've seen since Steam release it really looks like these plans are unachievable in next 20 years.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine

Future of space engine

26 Jan 2021 08:13

Relax. There are many reasons why development is slow.

1) Having money does not mean having a good team. We hired some programmers, and they worked for a while, but leave. Managing team is not easy.
2) We don't have that much money. Only for 2-3 programmers. We have 2 now, including myself.
3) I have a baby, so can't work 24/7 like before:)

Slowly, but we making progress. We have prototypes of 3D rings, clouds, accretion disks, and many improvements for ships. But turning prototype to a release feature is a long path. Rings are closest to release, I except few months.

Maybe I must restore a habit to post screenshots is the dev thread on this forum. I still do that, but in discord channel of our dev/admin team.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

Future of space engine

26 Jan 2021 09:04

I have a baby, so can't work 24/7 like before:)
Congratulations Vladimir! Such good news.
Also thanks for all the hard work as always. Having a team is a complicated thing indeed; teams are good to make things quicker and to allow for improvements in the workflow, but first, the team has to learn to work together and you end up having to explain everything (since you started the whole project). I guess it is years before a team on something like this can gain enough traction to compensate having it. I'm happy for you, for SpaceEngine and we will wait what is necessary to have those awesome features.
Maybe I must restore a habit to post screenshots is the dev thread on this forum
I think this is usually good for calming people that might not be accustomed to SE's times and might think the project is dead. But this is more work so I think we all have to really understand this.
By the way, just to add something to this thread; there's a recent paper on the topic of characterizing 3D dust distribution in the Milky Way (in the Solar Neighborhood really). The 3D dust visualizations are amazing! and the best part of it is that the data is accessible with a Python library created for that purpose. Each voxel can be retrieved from there. Maybe in a few years (thanks to Gaia DR4) this might be hugely improved so that SE gets enriched in the Galactic Structure side of things. :D

Video 1:
Video 2:

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Future of space engine

27 Jan 2021 09:29

Maybe I must restore a habit to post screenshots is the dev thread on this forum. I still do that, but in discord channel of our dev/admin team.
Everyone would appreciate that. I can't think of a reason not to! ;)
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

Future of space engine

28 Jan 2021 05:15

Everyone would appreciate that. I can't think of a reason not to! ;)
I would, too. The few times I've tried Discord... never could find what I wanted, or even anything terribly useful, just a confusing mess. I do  think the site is aptly named, though. ;)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Future of space engine

28 Jan 2021 16:33

haha I was just about to say the same thing about the name Discord, fellow Alex

Lujo
Astronaut
Astronaut

Future of space engine

29 Jan 2021 06:12

Slowly, but we making progress. We have prototypes of 3D rings, clouds, accretion disks, and many improvements for ships. But turning prototype to a release feature is a long path. Rings are closest to release, I except few months.
It would be nice to see some screenshots of those prototypes. I've been checking this forum literally every day for the past 2 years to see some new stuff, i agree it's a little slow but i also understand why. I think better the software is, more money will be earned. If i knew how to code i would definitely work on this for free.

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Future of space engine

05 Feb 2021 14:24

It would be nice to see some screenshots of those prototypes. I've been checking this forum literally every day for the past 2 years to see some new stuff, i agree it's a little slow but i also understand why. I think better the software is, more money will be earned. If i knew how to code i would definitely work on this for free.
I haven't thought of SpaceEngine twice in the past few months. A friend boots SE up and it comes to mind for a full 2 seconds. Again, not sure why we get 0 news, nor why 90% of devs are more secretive than an introvert.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Roy
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Future of space engine

05 Feb 2021 15:18

why 90% of devs
The real number of devs here can be hardly devided even to 50|50. If you know what I mean.

And where are the rings screenshots already?

tikus_kotoran
Observer
Observer

Future of space engine

17 Jun 2021 06:17

i honestly cant wait for life on planets, even if its just for decoration
joe mama

thomas
Observer
Observer

Future of space engine

08 Jan 2022 01:47

Just come to the StarEngine first time today, I'm very excited to this software and try to use it to simulate where the Earth and Mars would be after 200 millions years later. Thanks Vladimir, really great work, looking forward to try and play it in the following days.

Arigato
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Future of space engine

10 Jan 2022 20:22

where the Earth and Mars would be after 200 millions years later.
In real universe they would be on another side of galaxy. In SE they would be on same place.