Ultimate space simulation software

meegja
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

SpaceEngine 0.990 Release

21 Jun 2019 10:16

[quote="Mosfet"][quote="meegja"][post]30115[/post] a lot of people with high-end systems and/or more then enough RAM, have disabled the Page File within Windows. Turns out that (at least with NVidia drivers) that causes crashes and/or total system freeze with SE. Since I did enable Page File again (just let Windows manage it), no more crashes and freezes[/quote]
Of course they have crashes, that's what happens when your computer uses all the RAM and there's no contingency (a swap file). That's why disabling page file completely it's a risk.[/quote]

Ah no, that is not the reason. The amount of RAM is more then enough, the crashes on my PC happend with only like 15% of RAM usage.
The reason is that some Page File (or virtual memory) is *expected* by the program and driver. If that is not there, the RAM is used and it will work for a while. But Windows is expecting some instructions and that is not working right then a a crash/freeze is the result. The majority of programs will work just fine with Page File disabled but some (like SE) must have it enabled.
Graphics card: MSI RTX 2080 ti Gaming X Trio
CPU: Intel i9-9900KF
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A Pro
System memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4-3000

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

23 Jun 2019 05:24

And a suggestion: for now magnitude settings under Camera are not saved, every time I start SE those values are back to default. Maybe an option that those values are saved too?
This is intentional. Magnitude/brightness settings are not saved to prevent the "death loop" for new users who are not fully understand what they do. Imagine you is a new user and reduced exposure to 0.00000001 occasionally. You will just see a black screen and don't understand why. What you will do to fix that? Most likely, restart SE. If SE would save exposure settings, restart will not help with this "problem".
Star magnitude is more dangerous setting. Imagine you raised magnitude to +20. This will lead to extremely high load on the engine and GPU, slow performance, freezes and potential crash (a 100% crash in previous versions). If magnitude settings would be saved, after restart you will have freezes and crashes again, immediately. New user will have no way to repair this except making a full reinstall (or even refund!)

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Jun 2019 14:41

a lot of people with high-end systems and/or more then enough RAM, have disabled the Page File within Windows. Turns out that (at least with NVidia drivers) that causes crashes and/or total system freeze with SE. Since I did enable Page File again (just let Windows manage it), no more crashes and freezes
Of course they have crashes, that's what happens when your computer uses all the RAM and there's no contingency (a swap file). That's why disabling page file completely it's a risk.
Ah no, that is not the reason. The amount of RAM is more then enough, the crashes on my PC happend with only like 15% of RAM usage.
The reason is that some Page File (or virtual memory) is *expected* by the program and driver. If that is not there, the RAM is used and it will work for a while. But Windows is expecting some instructions and that is not working right then a a crash/freeze is the result. The majority of programs will work just fine with Page File disabled but some (like SE) must have it enabled.
I like setting a high pagefile, even with 16 GB RAM, because I have an NVMe drive, so virtual memory is almost as fast as RAM (actually it is faster than RAM was just a few years ago!)
One day we will all have unlimited memory because our drives will be more than fast enough to serve as virtual RAM for terabytes of data!

The key is to set a fixed pagefile setting....

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

25 Jun 2019 14:45

galaxy distribution looks to even, lacks void size
Expand on this please. Galactic stellar distribution seems right to me. Between spiral arms there are no voids just less density of massive stars.
Would it be complicated to add all cataloged stars?
What do you mean by all catalogued stars? All that humanity knows of? In principle only the ones with proper 3D coordinate measurements. There are around 1.7 billion stars in the current DR2 Gaia Catalogue. Not all of them have reliable measurements tho. There are currently efforts to implement this in SE (for now only Hipparcos catalogue stars are added by default and chunks of several millions as community addons). We also need spectral classification (if we want some attributes to be shown but the work on Gaia is slow).
Here you have some community addons to add a bunch of stars to your SE experience:

Gaia DR2 chunks taken from Bailer-Jones et al. (not accurate as we now know but this is the best large scale attempt for the moment)

Gaia DR2 White Dwarfs taken from Jimenez-Estéban et al. (very precise but small in terms of numbers)

A catalog of 28 intergalactic stars
Cant we determine the 3D position of any star for which we know the distance to?  Like for example, the Tycho catalogue. If you just know the distance and direction it is from Earth can you not plot its 3D position by placing the Earth at the center of a navigation grid?  You should be able to do that.

Also, both the regular and Pro versions have full licenses, the Pro version is only different in that its license allows one to use the product for commercial ventures.

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

25 Jun 2019 19:05

Cant we determine the 3D position of any star for which we know the distance to?  Like for example, the Tycho catalogue. If you just know the distance and direction it is from Earth can you not plot its 3D position by placing the Earth at the center of a navigation grid?  You should be able to do that.
Sure. That's the entire reason we launched the Gaia mission. Tycho catalogue is not even close to a fraction of the 1.7 billion Gaia stars. Wait a few months and we will have the third data release with full astrometric solution for almost all of them. Gaia is the largest astrometric mission in human history.

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

26 Jun 2019 18:51

I just hope it wont lag the program.  I find that .990 is actually running faster and more stable than .980e for me because in the latter I had both the GAIA 5 million star download and procedural planets turned on.  I cant turn procedurals off because doing so means other galaxies and clusters look barren to me.  Maybe there is a way to turn procedurals on just for globular clusters and other galaxies?

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

27 Jun 2019 15:02

And a suggestion: for now magnitude settings under Camera are not saved, every time I start SE those values are back to default. Maybe an option that those values are saved too?
This is intentional. Magnitude/brightness settings are not saved to prevent the "death loop" for new users who are not fully understand what they do. Imagine you is a new user and reduced exposure to 0.00000001 occasionally. You will just see a black screen and don't understand why. What you will do to fix that? Most likely, restart SE. If SE would save exposure settings, restart will not help with this "problem".
Star magnitude is more dangerous setting. Imagine you raised magnitude to +20. This will lead to extremely high load on the engine and GPU, slow performance, freezes and potential crash (a 100% crash in previous versions). If magnitude settings would be saved, after restart you will have freezes and crashes again, immediately. New user will have no way to repair this except making a full reinstall (or even refund!)
A way around this could be giving SE a proper launcher, from which you can set magnitude and exposure, and whether they are saved, along with other settings, plus the ability to download older non-steam versions from that launcher.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

chrism3784
Observer
Observer

28 Jun 2019 19:58

Bought and downloaded yesterday, very happy. I haven't bought a PC software since early 2000s. Very impressed. Only problem for me it crashes when I do to much stuff to fast, its my PC, very modern six core, but only 8 gig ddr4 ram. Definitely need an upgrade in ram, never needed to before. I also love the addition to the soundtrack, in previous I extracted all the music, and been listening while driving for years, finally got some more. Keep those new space music coming in the updates, never enough.

Was catching up on this topic and I can't believe earlier people complaining about the price, and that they have to pay. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the people who cannot afford the $25 price, are people who cannot afford a PC to run this game properly.

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

11 Jul 2019 23:31

Is there any reason why we should be able to select background stars in System Chart mode? Should that ability be disabled?
Dark planets orbiting the inactive black hole at the center of a globular cluster present the best use case for not allowing us to select background stars in System Chart mode.

EricPlayZ
Observer
Observer

16 Jul 2019 17:31

60 bucks for the pro version.... I can't even afford the 18 buck version! So since there is a Pro version does this mean that there are things only those who have the cash can enjoy while the rest of us have to make due with 9.8 or the basic 9.9?  

Deeply disappointed in how expensive this is. (Yes its expensive, I live on a fixed income due to disability so things like Space Engine will be off the table for some time to come)
You shouldn't be disappointed at all, indeed you should be happy for Vladimir selling SE at that price, because of those reasons:
1. It'll make his life easier.
2. He can hire more programmers and probably also buy an office, which would boost his development speed by like x5, and updates would be coming out way more frequently.
3. He gave you years of work for free, and now you're complaining about the price? Shame on you! It's now time that he gets payed for all of his work!

One more thing: Pro version is for commercial use, that's why it's so expensive.
Thank you for explaining the Pro version. First of all I live in a world where I have to watch every penny I spend. you will be surprised how quickly 600 bucks can vanish in a month. (Mostly groceries takes the biggest chunk of my money stuff I could buy for only a few dollars 5 years ago now cost over 20 bucks ) I also think your comment 3 is uncalled for especially in the light that I have read in some forums that SE was to be free. And if I could I would had donated some money to this software. Its hard to be cheerful when your own government does its best to starve you to death...
Yeah, indeed the government is trying their best to kill us. Anyway, I bought the game using my scholarship, which is 75$ per semester lol. Gonna wait for school to start again so I can get more money so I can buy the Pro version. And I understand you with money just vanishing out of your pockets. My mom is currently in a situation where she doesn't have money and she won't have money any time soon. She also pays 1000$/month for food, car fuel and rent. ‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎ 1000$/month. Life costs 1000$/month. Ok, cool.
I love space. I love color. I love life. I love planets. I love stars. I love galaxies. I love my in-game made avatar. I love SpaceEngine. I love everything.

xanathon
Observer
Observer

11 Sep 2019 09:29

Hi folks. I just bought the Pro version on Steam since I wanted to be able to make equirectangular screenshot in 8000x4000 or 16000x8000 pixels resolution. Yes, my machine is able to manage this (dual 1080TI for CUDA 3D rendering purposes). :)

But cannot find how to save images in that resolution anywhere (I searched on steam, via Google and this forum). There also is nothing in the manual. Do I have to change the windows resolution? If I do that the window gets gigantic and the program stops to work.

Thanks for help in advance.

xanathon
Observer
Observer

11 Sep 2019 10:35

Since I cannot edit my previous post: Yes, I tried increasing the windowed resolution but that only leads to the scaling of the image (content of the image gets bigger), not a bigger image.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

12 Sep 2019 04:45

Yes, you must increase the window size. I don't know what yo mean by "content of the image gets bigger", if you don't move camera or change FOV, screenshot with bigger resolution must look the same as screenshot with smaller resolution. The only change may be in apparent size of stars, but you can adjust them in settings -> visual style.

You may need to increase the driver TDR delay (TdrDelay), otherwise windows may kill the driver and SE by considering it "not responding".

Mr. Abner
World Builder
World Builder

12 Sep 2019 16:01

Indeed, I think you need to be aware that screen resolution and field of view (FOV) are two different things.

KakeruNamatalino
Observer
Observer

23 May 2021 09:29

How do I reset the Time in SpaceEngine 0.990.42?