Ultimate space simulation software

longname
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

SpaceEngine 0.990 Release

14 Jun 2019 10:54

60 bucks for the pro version.... I can't even afford the 18 buck version! So since there is a Pro version does this mean that there are things only those who have the cash can enjoy while the rest of us have to make due with 9.8 or the basic 9.9?  

Deeply disappointed in how expensive this is. (Yes its expensive, I live on a fixed income due to disability so things like Space Engine will be off the table for some time to come)
SpaceEngineer needs to be able to pay for food and electricity and extra programmers to reduce workload. Don't be disappointed that he needs to get money somehow.
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

14 Jun 2019 11:29

There's a keybinding for this, but I can't remember what it is. But it doesn't require digging through the game files.
0.980 had a keybinding for loading mode, but it looks like it was removed in 0.990.

default0.0player
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

15 Jun 2019 02:19

0.980 had a keybinding for loading mode, but it looks like it was removed in 0.990.
I found why. Any mode other than "Asynchronous loading mode" will make the game lag like hell.

nasigoreng
Observer
Observer

16 Jun 2019 03:24

Hi Everyone

I downloaded space engine from steam yesterday, can someone please indicate how to activate SLI in software as it does not seem to be running.
I know SLI is working on my system as I have tested on benchmark programs and other games and it works fine, not too mention I can see the power load on my power meter increase as my computer kicks in.
It was certain that SLI would function on releases after .9.8.0 so I am curious as to what has happened.
A bit confusing as there seems to be no clear documentation anymore on this or sparse general documentation at that.
I am going to send a post to support anyway.
Some imput would be great guys, hope to hear from someone soon.

Nasi

technoDaleks
Observer
Observer

16 Jun 2019 09:40

Hello,
Minor question. 
I read that 0.990 would include composition of surface ices. On some objects that have a water/icy envelope under the 'Physical' info tab, the 'Hydropshere' tab is grayed out. One example is HIP 24927 5 (procedural generated). Screenshots are below. This would be on Space Engine, not the Pro version. Is there a setting I don't have enabled, or is this as intended/something to be implemented later? 

Thank you and best regards.

[url=https://i.imgur.com/pwNP04d.png]https://i.imgur.com/pwNP04d.png[/url]

donatelo200
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

16 Jun 2019 10:05

technoDaleks,
The hydrosphere tab is only accessible if a planet has a surface hydrosphere.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

technoDaleks
Observer
Observer

17 Jun 2019 10:01

Hello donatelo200,
That makes sense. From the Work Progress 0.990 thread (http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31), there was the line "Updated planetary chemistry code generates not only the composition of the atmosphere, but also composition of oceans and surface ices".

I guess I should,rephtase my question, where in the info tab is the ice composition displayed? Is it displayed under certain planet criteria only, or have I missed/misunderstood something?

manalokos
Observer
Observer

18 Jun 2019 18:45

Congratulations for the release, it looks really amazing!
I am an experienced astrophotographer and I can say that this is getting very near the real thing.

For a quick first look:
I understand that some of these issues might be difficult to solve, but nevertheless I point them out.

-The new camera tonemappings and realistic view looks amazing but the magnitude settings are not saved and always revert to the 7magnitude defaults.
-The dark patches on the galaxies don't occlude all the far away stars.
-The big nebulous regions on i.e. M51 don't show up as nebulae when you get near the galaxy.
-Brown dwarfs look bright as red, then purple when far away, and become black when near.
-Most of the medium to small features of planetary bodies don't have a self shadowing effect.
-Motion blur on stars causes the image to bright up when moving, (brightness should be divided by the length of blur.)
-Planetary body shows many tillings in several textures in certain scales
-Planetary body textures lack intermediate frequencies, i.e you have large scale structures - interpolation - medium scale structures - interpolation - and more interpolation - then the small scale displacement showing a lot of tiling and no self shadowing.
-galaxy distribution looks to even, lacks void size.
-planets show somewhat faceted cloud layers.
-some nebulae on galaxies cause some kind of darkening that makes them pop out of the star field.

I will send more feedback as I find more stuff to comment.

Kind regards
Filipe Alves

manalokos
Observer
Observer

18 Jun 2019 18:51

2 more things:

-Alnitak is being occluded by a dark nebula when seen from the solar system.
-Would it be complicated to add all cataloged stars?

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

19 Jun 2019 06:36

galaxy distribution looks to even, lacks void size
Expand on this please. Galactic stellar distribution seems right to me. Between spiral arms there are no voids just less density of massive stars.
Would it be complicated to add all cataloged stars?
What do you mean by all catalogued stars? All that humanity knows of? In principle only the ones with proper 3D coordinate measurements. There are around 1.7 billion stars in the current DR2 Gaia Catalogue. Not all of them have reliable measurements tho. There are currently efforts to implement this in SE (for now only Hipparcos catalogue stars are added by default and chunks of several millions as community addons). We also need spectral classification (if we want some attributes to be shown but the work on Gaia is slow).
Here you have some community addons to add a bunch of stars to your SE experience:

Gaia DR2 chunks taken from Bailer-Jones et al. (not accurate as we now know but this is the best large scale attempt for the moment)

Gaia DR2 White Dwarfs taken from Jimenez-Estéban et al. (very precise but small in terms of numbers)

A catalog of 28 intergalactic stars

manalokos
Observer
Observer

19 Jun 2019 15:10

I mean voids in intergalactic space, not interstellar space.

Regarding catalogs like gaia, we could have procedural stars that would appear on the same positions as seen from the solar system, but not correct in Z, regarding the spectral classification, that could also be random, if 99.9999999% of the stuff in Space engine is procedural, I see no issue to have some objects that have part true, part fiction, at least the are more correct than full procedural.

stongduke
Astronaut
Astronaut

21 Jun 2019 02:57

60 bucks for the pro version.... I can't even afford the 18 buck version! So since there is a Pro version does this mean that there are things only those who have the cash can enjoy while the rest of us have to make due with 9.8 or the basic 9.9?  

Deeply disappointed in how expensive this is. (Yes its expensive, I live on a fixed income due to disability so things like Space Engine will be off the table for some time to come)
SpaceEngineer needs to be able to pay for food and electricity and extra programmers to reduce workload. Don't be disappointed that he needs to get money somehow.
To be honest I thought the pro version was going to cost upwards of 100 dollars. It includes a license after all, right?
Can I have an order of uhhh randomly generated city lights?

meegja
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

21 Jun 2019 06:15

So far I am loving SE 0.990! My GPU is making overtime :p
It is running so smooth and looks beautiful.

Maybe some info for others (and the team): a lot of people with high-end systems and/or more then enough RAM, have disabled the Page File within Windows. Turns out that (at least with NVidia drivers) that causes crashes and/or total system freeze with SE. Since I did enable Page File again (just let Windows manage it), no more crashes and freezes :)

And a suggestion: for now magnitude settings under Camera are not saved, every time I start SE those values are back to default. Maybe an option that those values are saved too?
Graphics card: MSI RTX 2080 ti Gaming X Trio
CPU: Intel i9-9900KF
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A Pro
System memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4-3000

khaos526
Observer
Observer

21 Jun 2019 08:06

I like it, though not liking the background music as much.  Some songs seem familiar, but different, and seems there are some newer songs that don't seem to have the same feel as before.  Also it seems some of the other music from the previous versions aren't in it either.  

Not sure if I can somehow import the old 9.8 version music into the 9.9 one, but if so that would be great...

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

21 Jun 2019 09:20

a lot of people with high-end systems and/or more then enough RAM, have disabled the Page File within Windows. Turns out that (at least with NVidia drivers) that causes crashes and/or total system freeze with SE. Since I did enable Page File again (just let Windows manage it), no more crashes and freezes
Of course they have crashes, that's what happens when your computer uses all the RAM and there's no contingency (a swap file). That's why disabling page file completely it's a risk.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |