02 Aug 2019 16:46

Amazing, thank you!

znc
Observer
Observer

Localizations

03 Aug 2019 06:31

Hello again!

I've fully "re-translated" the Spanish gui localization. Since my intention is to have it as an alternative to the current translation I have given it the name espsp-gui.cfg (sp for Spain, feel free to change it) and the LocalName is called "Español de España" (Spanish from Spain) in order to avoid confusion. I do not plan on modifying the db wiki file, so the current one esp-db.cfg can be used for this localization too.

It includes the newly introduced strings from the latest beta branch and some other strings that were forgotten as well. It also fixes some errors like missing acute accents, misinterpretations of the original strings, ambiguous naming and some words that did not exist have been replaced with actual words (there are still some words that don't exist in Spanish but I've left them for now). Wording in the tutorial has been changed a bit too.

I consider it done, there are some strings I haven't found in game, probably because I don't have VR or something so I've marked those strings with comments starting with "XXX" for future reference. Again, this translation is not meant to replace the current one, it's meant complement it.

Thanks!, if you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Attachments
espsp-gui.cfg
(182.47 KiB) Downloaded 476 times

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Localizations

03 Aug 2019 11:23

Thanks znc! So you say that current db file can be used with this locale? But I thought that "Spanish Spanish" language differs from "Latin American Spanish"?

I found some weird characters in two places, there may be more:
notepad++_Nob2SyKhEv.png
notepad++_Nob2SyKhEv.png (12.67 KiB) Viewed 7161 times
notepad++_NwUPKy4QV1.png
notepad++_NwUPKy4QV1.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 7161 times
To make language selection menu less confusing, new Spanish should be named like "Spanish - Spain" (in English), and old one "Spanish - Latin America". Or what is more correct? "Spanish - Mexico"? How do I write this in Spanish (in the LocalName parameter)?
// In the espsp-gui.cfg
InternationalName   "Spanish - Spain"
LocalName           "Español de España"

// In the espla-gui.cfg
InternationalName   "Spanish - Latin America"
LocalName           "Español - America Latina"
"Latin America" is too long, does not fit into interface:
SpaceEngine_AqcmNm8Iu8.png
SpaceEngine_AqcmNm8Iu8.png (34.08 KiB) Viewed 7161 times

znc
Observer
Observer

Localizations

03 Aug 2019 12:41

Hi SpaceEngineer.
So you say that current db file can be used with this locale?
Yes! Actually I'm pretty sure the db file used in the newer versions is just a re-encoded copy of the one used in the old versions of SpaceEngine.
I found some weird characters in two places
Oops sorry about that!
My text editor has the bad habit of inserting weird character sequences when you type too fast without making them visible. I'm checking the file with another text editor and I can't find more of those artifacts other than those two you mentioned.
Would you like me to reupload it?
what is more correct? "Spanish - Mexico"? How do I write this in Spanish (in the LocalName parameter)?
Mmm well I'm not a Spanish expert, but I'm pretty sure the Spanish spoken in Latin American countries differ a bit one from the other. I think the safer move to do here is to call it "Spanish - Mexico" (InternationalName) and "Español - México" (LocalName).
By the way if you want you can change the LocalName "Español de España" to "Español - España" for consistency, go ahead. It sounds good to me.

tRetro-Visor
Explorer
Explorer

Localizations

03 Aug 2019 13:56

I think the safer move to do here is to call it "Spanish - Mexico" (InternationalName) and "Español - México" (LocalName).
This can work as "Spanish - Hispanic America" and "Español - Hispanoamérica"
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Localizations

04 Aug 2019 04:22

By the way if you want you can change the LocalName "Español de España" to "Español - España" for consistency, go ahead. It sounds good to me.
But this may not work for other languages. Are Portuguese experts here?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Localizations

04 Aug 2019 04:24

What is not clear also, is which Spanish Steam uses. Its interface can be switched to Spanish, and SDK reports language "spanish" to SE. But which one is it? Spanish or Mexican?

znc
Observer
Observer

Localizations

04 Aug 2019 05:04

Hello again.
But which one is it? Spanish or Mexican?
This is what my steam interface shows as language options:
It shows both Spanish-Spain and Spanish-Latin America. Notice also that the Portuguese one uses the dash '-' too.

Apparently both of these locales have their own steam API code:

So "latam" refers to Spanish-Latin America, although it's not listed on the available options in the first post of this thread.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Localizations

05 Aug 2019 07:04

Cool, thank you znc! It seems they added latam and arabic recently!

Julian
Explorer
Explorer

Localizations

07 Aug 2019 02:12

Text misalignment is still present in spanish, even after changes
Would it be acceptable in Spanish to use "Compos. marina" instead of "Compos. de los mares"?

Thinking about this made me notice another potential problem with the way SE handles localizations: should "life", "life forms" and  "life biomes" be defined as gendered nouns in the localization file? Do adjectives like "organic", "multicellular" and "aerial" need gender and number agreement with those nouns?

styrax
Observer
Observer

Localizations

22 Aug 2019 15:06

Hello SpaceEngineer,

I am considering adding traditional Chinese names to the stars. A big number of stars have traditional Chinese names (this Wikipedia page lists 1,511), and they are still the most commonly used names of stars in China by far. I guess the translation could be done through chs-db.cfg and cht-db.cfg. The problem is that a large number of these stars do not even have traditional western names, so I cannot find out what is the "IDs" of the stars in the db.cfg files, as are filled in the "Name" field. For example, I know the "Name" of Alpha Centauri is Toliman, which I find in rus-db.cfg, but what would be the SpaceEngine "Names" of 5 Ursae Minoris or HIP 51384? Is there a rule to decide them?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Localizations

22 Aug 2019 16:03

I am considering adding traditional Chinese names to the stars.
'HIP 51384' is simply called 'HIP 51384' or 'HD 89517' in SpaceEngine. Many stars have no proper names.
You could make an entry like this in the -db.cfg file:
RObject
{
 LocName "四輔/Four Advisors"        //Although that's probably just the name for the constellation or star group to which the star belongs.
 Name "HIP 51384"
}
(I have the names from the Wikipedia list.)
chin-scr00312.jpg
'5 Ursae Minoris' is '5 UMi' in SpaceEngine. You can also use the HIP or HD number.
RObject
{
    LocName "庶子/Son of Concubine"
    Name    "5 UMi"
}
chin-scr00313.jpg
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Localizations

22 Aug 2019 16:39

You Could also simply copy-paste the name using in-game wiki editing features.
[youtube]xXag7xgiaYs[/youtube]
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

styrax
Observer
Observer

Localizations

23 Aug 2019 07:14

I am considering adding traditional Chinese names to the stars.
'HIP 51384' is simply called 'HIP 51384' or 'HD 89517' in SpaceEngine. Many stars have no proper names.
You could make an entry like this in the -db.cfg file:
RObject
{
 LocName "四輔/Four Advisors"        //Although that's probably just the name for the constellation or star group to which the star belongs.
 Name "HIP 51384"
}
(I have the names from the Wikipedia list.)
chin-scr00312.jpg
'5 Ursae Minoris' is '5 UMi' in SpaceEngine. You can also use the HIP or HD number.
RObject
{
    LocName "庶子/Son of Concubine"
    Name    "5 UMi"
}
chin-scr00313.jpg
Thank you for the help. I start working today.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Localizations

07 Nov 2019 14:40

New way to update localizations in SE: using the service "Localizor":
https://www.localizor.io/game/16/translations
I will make a blog post about it tomorrow. You can try it right now, it have tutorials and pretty intuitive.