Ultimate space simulation software

JKerman
Astronaut
Astronaut

General 0.990 Discussion

16 Dec 2018 18:34

How long does it usually take Steam to release a game if it passes their review?

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

19 Dec 2018 00:04

HarbingerDawn wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Found it, it's here!

You shouldn't believe everything people say. Unless SpaceEngineer (or maybe me) says it, don't take it as fact.

I figured it would be difficult to have two versions because it would require twice the programming to maintain both.  I do have a few questions since I've never bought anything from Steam before.
1) Can I make the purchase from my laptop and use it on my desktop?  In other words, can I make the Steam account on my desktop, but buy SE from my laptop using that account, and download and use it on my desktop?  I just need to use the same email address to access it from either machine?
2)  Can I make the purchase directly with a credit card or do I need to have a paypal account?

donatelo200
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.990

19 Dec 2018 01:03

1) Things bought on steam are linked to your account on it so you can download any game from steam on any PC so long as you have steam installed on the PC's you want to use.

2) I've only ever used my credit card directly on steam.  You can use Paypal on steam if you want, however.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Unknown 16G-D3-1600-MR 2x8GB
MBD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (MS-7922)

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

19 Dec 2018 01:26

Thanks and the account is linked to your email address?  Also, they dont reveal or store your credit card info do they (like let's say I let someone else play on my account while I am busy elsewhere, they wouldn't see my credit card number and be able to order stuff if they were on my account would they, or have acesss to it in emails or acct info?)

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

19 Dec 2018 02:45

This is what someone playing on your account would know at best about your payment method:
Schizzo.png

They can save your credit card info if you choose to do so. Otherwise they ask every time you proceed to a purchase full information about your card, this to my knowledge it's an indication of the fact that they don't store your ccn at least at client side.
Your account is linked to the email address you provided for communication purposes. The level of info about your credit card you can see in those emails it's the same as the screenshot above.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress 0.990

19 Dec 2018 03:12

I'm surprised at the amount of people here on the forum who either a) don't know what Steam is and b) don't know how it works and why. I thought gamers and/or astronomers were supposed to be internet savvy?
Futurum Fusionem

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General 0.990 Discussion

19 Dec 2018 03:28

I've known people that liked to play certain video games, yet they had to ask to someone else to power on the computer every time. They just didn't care. This particular guy I know, now it's doing research in biology, so he had to learn at some point :)
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

General 0.990 Discussion

19 Dec 2018 03:34

I'll probably eat my own words when I have technical difficulties.

Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post yet they had to ask to someone else to power on the computer every time.

What has the world come to :lol:?
Futurum Fusionem

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General 0.990 Discussion

19 Dec 2018 03:42

Mosfet wrote:
This is what someone playing on your account would know at best about your payment method:
screengrab

They can save your credit card info if you choose to do so. Otherwise they ask every time you proceed to a purchase full information about your card, this to my knowledge it's an indication of the fact that they don't store your ccn at least at client side.
Your account is linked to the email address you provided for communication purposes. The level of info about your credit card you can see in those emails it's the same as the screenshot above.

Thanks!  I was thinking of sharing the account with my sister's kids, my niece and nephew are 13 and 11, young enough to still be adorable and yet old enough to be dangerous around credit cards LOL.  Glad to know they wont have access to that stuff if I do decide to share my account with them.  So I can port my account to any computer I want as long as I use the same email address and download the Steam client?

Stellator- I dont really game, I just love astronomy simulations and have never used Steam before lol.  The only other paid software I have on my computer is Starry Night Pro Plus, which I've had since version 3 and now on version 7 and soon-to-be 8.  Funny story, I had never heard of Space Engine until I started looking around for an alternative to SNPP back in 2014 when it dropped support for Windows XP and I was still using it.  Now that I just had a new system built with Windows 10, I'll be using both SE and SNPP.  Big advantages of SE are that SE generates exoplanet atmospheres, I find the terrains much more realistic and less formulaic, it uses procedural generation which SNPP doesn't have, uses OGL 3.3 while SNPP is still on OGL 1.4, is a small one time fee, while SNPP charges you for every new version, and is about one sixth the price for an upgrade, or one fifteenth the price if you are buying from scratch!

Shaggy
Observer
Observer

General 0.990 Discussion

20 Dec 2018 05:31

[quote="Mosfet"][quote="PlutonianEmpire"][post]25508[/post] Why exactly would non-steam releases require DRM protection? Some obscure copyright law that everybody hates?[/quote]
I'm curious, how many copies of the program do you think will be sold if there is no copy protection? I mean, before it lands on everyone's computer for free.[/quote]
Ask CD Projekt RED about sales of their DRM free singleplayer game you may heard of. World has changed. I remember we had quite a big piracy problem in Poland in the past, but it was when gamers/PC users were kids. Now gamers are parents. :) It's no longer "dumb" to "waste money" on "stupid games". People buy stuff if they can afford it.

I'm not SpaceEngineer, but if I were him, I would also consider another aspect - educating young generation. There are a lot of kids who can't afford it and simply won't buy it. There are still some poor parents that wouldn't buy SE for their kid thinking of it as a game... While watching dumb TV shows whole evening. SE is educational and can really influence kids and make them interested in space exploration and astronomy, so even if less copies were sold, more people would know about SE and get interested in things that are important to our near future. I don't think piracy would be an issue in case of SE though, this is a software that mostly intelligent people are interested in. Intelligence alone seems to be related to piracy, as this article suggests:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... are_piracy

If on top of that you add what kind of intelligent people are interested in SE, it gets only better. I can see a correlation between being interested in Space stuff and caring for our future. People who like SE would generally want it to succeed as it spreads the important knowledge that our society generally doesn't have (people tend to care more about gossips and news about who offended who). More interest in Space related stuff means more money for public Space Agencies and more private ones. I don't think you can compare an average GTA player to an average Space Engine user if we talk about which of these groups care more about developer getting money for their work. :D Aaaand there's the fact that no DRM is uncrackable.

I really hope SpaceEngineer does good research before deciding on DRM. If according to calculations DRM greatly increases income then sure, do it, I'm buying anyway. But if it looks like not much difference, then maybe it's better to make SE more popular among kids from poor families (which are most likely simple conservative people with a never-read Bible on a shelf).

Nahor
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

General 0.990 Discussion

20 Dec 2018 08:19

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Thanks!  I was thinking of sharing the account with my sister's kids

Look into "Steam Family Sharing". The kids can have their own account (without a credit card), and still have access to selectedthe games (the ones you want to share) from your account.

EDIT: it's actually the whole library or nothing that can be shared.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

General 0.990 Discussion

20 Dec 2018 17:43

Shaggy wrote:
Source of the post There are a lot of kids who can't afford it and simply won't buy it. There are still some poor parents that wouldn't buy SE for their kid thinking of it as a game... While watching dumb TV shows whole evening. SE is educational and can really influence kids and make them interested in space exploration and astronomy,

I agree with you here. SE is an invaluable tool for education. If money is an issue though, the old versions of SE like our current v0980 will still be free to download off this website. That should be sufficient if the asking price of SE 0990 is too much (which, considering the price of some other space/simulator games, it really isn't).

Shaggy wrote:
Source of the post Aaaand there's the fact that no DRM is uncrackable.

Houses get broken into all the time and stuff gets stolen. Does that mean we shouldn't take precautions and lock our doors at night, or set alarms? Just because something might fallible does not make it automatically so. I'm sure if anyone really wanted to get SE free, they could find an illegal copy of the game to download on some pirate website. The IMPORTANT thing is that will have NO official representation here.
Futurum Fusionem

Julian
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

General 0.990 Discussion

20 Dec 2018 22:54

A couple of observations from HarbingerDawn's latest stream:

Astrophysical jets.jpg

Astrophysical jets should fade out more gradually at the ends. If we wanted to be more realistic, don't a lot of astrophysical jets expand into a mushroom shape at the end when their particles start to interact with the interstellar/intergalactic medium? Can we adjust the length of jets? Can we make them tens of kiloparsecs long like from quasars? Can we make jets that aren't perpendicular to the accretion disc, particularly for pulsars?

Dunes on asteroid.jpg

On all bodies with no atmosphere, shouldn't the dune texture be disabled?

Solaris_
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

General 0.990 Discussion

21 Dec 2018 05:41

Julian wrote:
A couple of observations from HarbingerDawn's latest stream:

Astrophysical jets.jpg
Astrophysical jets should fade out more gradually at the ends. If we wanted to be more realistic, don't a lot of astrophysical jets expand into a mushroom shape at the end when their particles start to interact with the interstellar/intergalactic medium? Can we adjust the length of jets? Can we make them tens of kiloparsecs long like from quasars? Can we make jets that aren't perpendicular to the accretion disc, particularly for pulsars?

Dunes on asteroid.jpg
On all bodies with no atmosphere, shouldn't the dune texture be disabled?

Well,big problems they are :(
I'm always ready to see news,regardless what is it.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General 0.990 Discussion

21 Dec 2018 06:08

Nahor wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Thanks!  I was thinking of sharing the account with my sister's kids

Look into "Steam Family Sharing". The kids can have their own account (without a credit card), and still have access to selectedthe games (the ones you want to share) from your account.

EDIT: it's actually the whole library or nothing that can be shared.

Thanks, actually I was about to ask a question along those lines.  Let's say I want to gift her kids some games for Christmas, do I have to make a Steam account for each of them or can I just gift them the games to their email addresses and they'll get the links to download the games right to their emails?