Ultimate space simulation software

Macronicus
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.9.9.0

09 Oct 2018 17:26

SalazarHink wrote:
"What about us who do not have a steam account?"

As far as I know you can create a Steam account on this site https://store.steampowered.com/ for free. Without a Steam account it will be impossible to buy Space Engine on the Steam Store.

Imho, releasing this project exclusively on Steam Store will help it to gain more popularity (through suggestions, tags, discovery queue, steam discounts, curator reviews etc); Also it will be easier to push new updates live without the need to upload Space Engine installation file on multiple mirrors and bit-torrent tracker; And of course it will be a lot easier for players to get new updates through Automatic Updates feature, find guides and mods through Community Hub;

And then release a non steam version?
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

Mihajlo
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 01:19

I'm not against Steam per se. I'm against being forced to install anything and depending on it when previous solution worked fine.
Admittedly one of the reasons is more personal. I have a 70 year old uncle who likes SE very much because he loves space, but doesn't have an internet connection.
I know and agree that for those who already have Steam it's more convenient this way, but for those who don't have it it's much simpler to have a standalone version. You just install it and it works. You don't need an account, additional software etc. Standalone version worked perfectly fine IMO. 
But, it did occur to me that with Steam SE might gain more popularity like SalazarHink said. If Vladimir is going to update SE more frequently from now on I can see the benefit of Steam, as it might be easier to update this way than always having to upload new version on the site. Having said that I still think it's better to have more options, but I understand having and maintaining both the site and steam is hard, so it might not be worth it in the long run.

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 02:58

Macronicus wrote:
I still want a non steam version

Me too but Macronicus your comments sound like from a spoiled child.
For example you could benefit from such a comment:
Mihajlo wrote:
I'm not against Steam per se. I'm against being forced to install anything and depending on it when previous solution worked fine.
Admittedly one of the reasons is more personal. I have a 70 year old uncle who likes SE very much because he loves space, but doesn't have an internet connection.
I know and agree that for those who already have Steam it's more convenient this way, but for those who don't have it it's much simpler to have a standalone version. You just install it and it works. You don't need an account, additional software etc. Standalone version worked perfectly fine IMO.
But, it did occur to me that with Steam SE might gain more popularity like SalazarHink said. If Vladimir is going to update SE more frequently from now on I can see the benefit of Steam, as it might be easier to update this way than always having to upload new version on the site. Having said that I still think it's better to have more options, but I understand having and maintaining both the site and steam is hard, so it might not be worth it in the long run.

All in all I have no problem if SE becomes payware - it has reached a development level that justifies it. But if it is mandatory to use steam I'd feel somewhat restricted & like another sheep in steam's flock. But I understand as Mihajlo pointed above that it might be difficult to maintain a separate site with an independent installation.

Lujo
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 04:25

But i don't want to even install Steam, i don't play games so i don't need it. I use SE planetarium because i'm amateur astronomer and this program is very useful. Somebody said that planetarium will always be free so i don't see a need for Steam. No matter what, i'm planning to make a donation in near future because for me - this is one of the best softwares i ever used in 20+ years, and i think that's a least i can do to help perfect this masterpiece.

SalazarHink
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 04:37

Maybe releasing SE on the GOG platform after the Steam Store release will be a good solution for those who hate everything related to Steam. Because to make SE buyable from the official site Space Engineer will need to spend additional time and resources to add this type of functionality to this site.

For those who want a free version 0.9.8.0 will be a good solution. This version is still fine and looks absolutely gorgeous.

ettore_bilbo
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 08:45

Lujo wrote:
Source of the post But i don't want to even install Steam, i don't play games so i don't need it. I use SE planetarium because i'm amateur astronomer and this program is very useful.

Steam has not only games but also many educational programs or utilities... also I do not really love this solution compared to a stand alone program, but we are in 2018 and I don't think that Space Engineer can make don Quixote against windmills.
The choice of what is best for SE is from its developer.

Lujo wrote:
Source of the post Somebody said that planetarium will always be free so i don't see a need for Steam.

if there will be a basic free version and a paid version, it will not be convenient to manage them via two different platforms!

ZackG
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 08:52

IMHO I dont like the idea that SE is strictly for Steam. I have had bad experience with the community there. And to top that off the client is a DRM machine that depends on a centralized system. I for one think that this was a bad move, Vlad. I oppose all forms of DRM that I see today. and that includes requiring a constant connection,  rootkit installation and requiring an account to play it. That is why I buy most of my game from GOG to counter Steam's atrocities. Plus they own much of the PC gaming industry as much as 75%. They are definitely a monopoly to my  standards and we need more competition and a De-centralized system in case Steam fails. When valve goes broke in 20 years,you can kiss your games goodbye

Macronicus
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 08:59

ZackG wrote:
IMHO I dont like the idea that SE is strictly for Steam. I have had bad experience with the community there. And to top that off the client is a DRM machine that depends on a centralized system. I for one think that this was a bad move, Vlad. I oppose all forms of DRM that I see today. and that includes requiring a constant connection,  rootkit installation and requiring an account to play it. That is why I buy most of my game from GOG to counter Steam's atrocities. Plus they own much of the PC gaming industry as much as 75%. They are definitely a monopoly to my  standards and we need more competition and a De-centralized system in case Steam fails. When valve goes broke in 20 years,you can kiss your games goodbye

Agreed

Macronicus
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 10:20

I think spaceengineer should also sell it on his main website as well like what this says on the part where it says "What About Selling On Both?"

https://blackshellmedia.com/2017/06/28/ ... eans-game/

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

General 0.9.9.0 Discussion

10 Oct 2018 12:15

So I reply about SE in Steam.
I have Steam so for me is fine but for people doesn’t yet a account, you can have Steam, download the application and SE (when is ready) and you can run Steam without Internet connexion, just the update for Steam and SE will be when you reconnect to Steam when you rehave Internet connexion.
Otherwise, a another solution consist to make a launcher like some games and will be automatically update when you have Internet and maybe you can choose the version of SE you want (like Minecraft’s launcher).
Have a nice day.
► Information

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 12:18

I think is good to continue the discussion here (General 0.9.9.0 Discussion) or another topic ?
I made a reply about my opinion for SE in Steam.
► Information

Macronicus
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

10 Oct 2018 12:24

Quarior wrote:
So I reply about SE in Steam.
I have Steam so for me is fine but for people doesn’t yet a account, you can have Steam, download the application and SE (when is ready) and you can run Steam without Internet connexion, just the update for Steam and SE will be when you reconnect to Steam when you rehave Internet connexion.
Otherwise, a another solution consist to make a launcher like some games and will be automatically update when you have Internet and maybe you can choose the version of SE you want (like Minecraft’s launcher).
Have a nice day.

Don't wanna be rude but your English is not that great. What country are from?

JKerman
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

10 Oct 2018 16:58

Well, the journey was long and difficult, but the finish line’s in sight! Keep up the good work, Vladimir! You’re almost there!

stongduke
Observer
Observer

10 Oct 2018 19:38

[quote="JKerman"]Well, the journey was long and difficult, but the finish line’s in sight! Keep up the good work, Vladimir! You’re almost there![/quote]
Yeah man not gonna lie I remember seeing stuff about what used to be called 0.9.8.1 like two years ago when I was a freshman in high school (around 2ish years ago). I was super hyped then, and I thought that it would probably come near the end of my freshman year, if not then during the summer of start of my Sophomore year. You know what I was most excited about? The UI improvements. So glad we're nearly there. don't want to jinx anything but this would be a great Christmas present.
Can I have an order of uhhh randomly generated city lights?

vlad01
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.9.9.0

10 Oct 2018 20:59

I had this issue with universe sandbox.  I looked high and low for a standalone version and found a link on the devaoper's site. "if you don't want to purchase it through steam, click here to buy it directly"  Did all that and purchased it, only to find out I needed steam to install it.

Later on I did find a well hidden listing for an "educational institute" version which is truly stand alone but that was much too late by that stage. I think I found that under support, FAQs or something and not anywhere logical. That infuriates me!

I have steam now but I really dislike it. It's clunky to use, has problems and restrictions I can't find solutions for and really slows my PC startup time down with it's constant updating which takes 2-3 min every time I start causing other services sometimes to fail to start.