Ultimate space simulation software

Terran
Astronaut
Astronaut

General 0.9.9.0 Discussion

23 Oct 2018 13:14

I do have one wish for the final release: make the game constructive instead of destructive. Make it a game of colonization, not one of destruction. Have planets become developed, not destroyed. I love the planetarium and exploration aspect of space engine. My personal biggest fear is if space engine becomes a game of survival and conquest, all the absolutely hard effort gone into the game would go to waste, as people would be too busy defending their own turf (or surf, or air) to explore.

This is my only wish.
Personally, I don’t like games about survival and conquest. I like games about adventure, creativity, and discovery. But... I still think that it would be pretty fun to blow up a planet in SE :P

Also! I hate to bring up NMS as an example, but I bought it, I played it, and I know what it was aiming for. The same thing SE aims for, exploration and adventure, albeit, NMS crudily does this. The thing that NMS got wrong wasn’t the graphics, the combat, the terrain generation, the content, it was that there wasn’t a point, and those things just made it that much worse. Why keep exploring a billion fake worlds, different, but vaguely similar to the last, to the point where you can no longer think of names, and begin just calling things Planet-207, or Green Dirt Rock world 3. The challenges should keep you from getting ahead of yourself, the content should keep you constantly in awe, and the exploration meaningful. By having challenges, you have accomplishments. So wherever SE does head towards, I hope it remembers these things. Not to create a grindy game (please god no, not another grinding game I am sick of them now), rather, a game of causual exploration, engaging adventure, endless beauty, and worthwhile accomplishments, not building towards your goal, but building off of it.
To reality, through nothing, from un-everything.

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

23 Oct 2018 17:45

The problem is, If we got magical casual ftl warp drive tomorrow (the kind where we can Zip to Deneb for a few hours and be home in time for dinner) and after a long awhile humanity has srpead decently to the stars, even then planets will still begin to look alike to a lot of explorers, both newbies amd experienced. So while yes, reality can be unrealistic a lot, I dont think it's too unrealistic for planets to start looking alike after a while
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

23 Oct 2018 21:54

So while yes, reality can be unrealistic a lot, I dont think it's too unrealistic for planets to start looking alike after a while
True. Hardcore astronomer/planetologists will probably be enchanted by any extraterrestrial piece of rock, but for others it could get a bit samey. A solution to this exploration apathy would be to start a RTS-eque type of gameplay, wherein you consolidate your holds on the solar-systems you've colonized. Mining planets (whole planets if you are K2!), terra-forming, making space-habitats, engineering mega-structures like Dyson swarms or orbital rings etc etc. Think Civilizations III, but hard SCI-FI. Progressing through any tech-tree like this could be very engaging and satisfactory for some gamers. It could even be educational if you present real technologies and theoretical physics in the tech-tree.
Futurum Fusionem

Terran
Astronaut
Astronaut

25 Oct 2018 19:23

I actually have to disagree here, I don’t think planets will look the same after a while in reality. Every single object in our solar system is unique, and full of anomalies. Even asteroids can be told apart (kinda). The point is, if the universe is just a little more diverse than our solar system (which exoplanets suggest), then I would suspect such a trend to continue. Don’t get me wrong, similarities are everywhere, but not every charactaristic of something repeats. Two desert worlds might both have rolling dunes of sand, but one of them produces massive global light ing storms, the otherone has a history of past oceans and humidity rises and falls through out its year.
To reality, through nothing, from un-everything.

TOExHEAD
Observer
Observer

General 0.990 Discussion

04 Nov 2018 16:46

I cannot wait for 0.9.9.0 or the steam release!!! I need to get my hands on this amazing update.

MineCrafter473
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

General 0.990 Discussion

04 Nov 2018 18:38

This isn't specific to .990, but are there any plans in the future to make Space Engine's code open source for game engine modding. I personally would love to see how the community would go about modding things we can't normally mod, like weather or procedural generation.
CPU:Intel core i7 8700k @ 3.8Ghz
RAM:16gb ddr4-3000
GPU:RTX 2080 8gb vram
STORAGE:Samsung 512gb 970 pro m.2 ssd, 1tb ssd

JKerman
Astronaut
Astronaut

General 0.990 Discussion

04 Nov 2018 19:19

Will there be a way to add custom camera paths, for cinematic shots and such? Could a mod potentially add such a feature?

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

General 0.990 Discussion

05 Nov 2018 01:30

Will there be a way to add custom camera paths
JKerman, that was presented here by SpaceEngineer for v0990.
Futurum Fusionem

JKerman
Astronaut
Astronaut

General 0.990 Discussion

05 Nov 2018 10:26

Will there be a way to add custom camera paths
JKerman, that was presented here by SpaceEngineer for v0990.
Awesome, thanks!

TheRedstoneHive
Explorer
Explorer
Topic Author

General 0.990 Discussion

07 Nov 2018 22:14

This isn't specific to .990, but are there any plans in the future to make Space Engine's code open source for game engine modding. I personally would love to see how the community would go about modding things we can't normally mod, like weather or procedural generation.
In FAQ it states that there are no current plans to make the game open source, or for making your own game. Though I personally would also love to see mods being made. Infact it probably is possible right now, but without source code, it would be very difficult. 

stongduke
Astronaut
Astronaut

General 0.990 Discussion

08 Nov 2018 09:49

[quote="TheRedstoneHive"][quote="MineCrafter473"]This isn't specific to .990, but are there any plans in the future to make Space Engine's code open source for game engine modding. I personally would love to see how the community would go about modding things we can't normally mod, like weather or procedural generation.[/quote]
In [url=http://spaceengine.org/manual/faq]FAQ[/url] it states that there are no current plans to make the game open source, or for making your own game. Though I personally would also love to see mods being made. Infact it probably is possible right now, but without source code, it would be very difficult. [/quote]
Aren't there already mods and stuff though? And wasn't there a VR educational game on steam that used space engine?
Can I have an order of uhhh randomly generated city lights?

Mosfet
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

General 0.990 Discussion

08 Nov 2018 10:41

Aren't there already mods and stuff though? And wasn't there a VR educational game on steam that used space engine?
Yes, but what user Minecrafter473 is referring to is a modification at engine level which is different.
Regarding Overview, which is the educational game on Steam you're referring to, as far as I know Vladimir is developing the engine part for them and they share revenues. It's not entirely based on Space Engine as we know it.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
| My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80 | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 12gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram |

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

General 0.990 Discussion

08 Nov 2018 11:51

It's not entirely based on Space Engine as we know it.
It's best to say that it is based on SE, from what I understand Overview did not require a huge amount of modification to the engine. The differences between vanilla SE and Overview's version of SE are modest.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Silicon
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.990

09 Nov 2018 16:00

What changes will need to be made to mods from 0.980 to make them compatible with 0.990?

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

09 Nov 2018 18:32

What changes will need to be made to mods from 0.980 to make them compatible with 0.990?
For normal planetary systems probably few to none.
For some of my addons, it's probably impossible.
But it will not be known precisely until SE 0.990 is officially released.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)