Ultimate space simulation software

N0B0DY
Explorer
Explorer

General 0.9.9.0 Discussion

12 Jul 2018 11:03

For all of us (myself included) who are impatient about the new release bear in mind that
A) Space Engine has probably reached a point that it has become too complex to develop at the same pace as it was developed in the past.
B) Other projects (that although can not be directly compared with SE) are also delayed and even more for e.g Star Citizen.
Although SC has been announced at about the same time period as SE and although it is a completely different application,
look where it is now: In alpha state, expensive and full of bugs. And in addition to that it is a multi million dollar project and still no clear date as of when it will be released. Also hundreds of programmers are working on it.

Another game that I am following and can compare is Elite: Dangerous. Again this project is released as a finished game but nowhere finished it can be regarded as. After 4 years from its release we still don;t have atmospheric worlds to explore! Also no orbital physics are there! And you can not travel from system to system the way you do in SE. There is a loading screen every time you jump to another system, hidden within a hyperspace jump animation (which is quite beautiful nonetheless).

So let's be patient and I am sure that Space Engineer will deliver an outstanding release in the not so distant future!
MSIX299MB,[email protected](8C/16T),[email protected](CL16),GTX1080Ti@11GBGDDR5X,OS:WIN10x64@2xSSDSATA3RAID0

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

12 Jul 2018 12:28

For all of us (myself included) who are impatient about the new release bear in mind that
A) Space Engine has probably reached a point that it has become too complex to develop at the same pace as it was developed in the past.
B) Other projects (that although can not be directly compared with SE) are also delayed and even more for e.g Star Citizen.
Although SC has been announced at about the same time period as SE and although it is a completely different application,
look where it is now: In alpha state, expensive and full of bugs. And in addition to that it is a multi million dollar project and still no clear date as of when it will be released. Also hundreds of programmers are working on it.

Another game that I am following and can compare is Elite: Dangerous. Again this project is released as a finished game but nowhere finished it can be regarded as. After 4 years from its release we still don;t have atmospheric worlds to explore! Also no orbital physics are there! And you can not travel from system to system the way you do in SE. There is a loading screen every time you jump to another system, hidden within a hyperspace jump animation (which is quite beautiful nonetheless).

So let's be patient and I am sure that Space Engineer will deliver an outstanding release in the not so distant future!
Better not be buggy when it releases
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

Hmuda
Observer
Observer

12 Jul 2018 13:31

[quote="N0B0DY"]For all of us (myself included) who are impatient about the new release bear in mind that

So let's be patient and I am sure that Space Engineer will deliver an outstanding release in the not so distant future![/quote]
I believe we have a bit of a miscommunication here. I am far from suggesting that they hurry up and finish everything now. That would be silly.

What I'm thinking is that it may be better to concentrate on one thing, finish it and release it. Then move to the next thing.

Plus didn't they say they want to use Steam in the future? Having Steam handle patching would ensure that updating SE in smaller increments is a perfectly viable option instead of cramming as much stuff into every new iteration as humanly possible.

If SpaceEgineer sees this post, please know that I am not trying to rush you. Take as much time as you need to ensure you hand us a stable and complete 0990 version. I have no insight into the challenges you face, maybe all of this work is absolutely and unavoidably essential for the goal of 0990. I am simply hoping for smaller, but more frequent updates instead of huge leaps that only come once in every couple of years. Nobody is getting any younger. :)

ettore_bilbo
Explorer
Explorer

13 Jul 2018 05:05

What I'm thinking is that it may be better to concentrate on one thing, finish it and release it. Then move to the next thing.
Maybe this isn't always possible. At this stage of development often you can't change a thing without having to change another hundred

Hmuda
Observer
Observer

13 Jul 2018 07:46

Yeah, I'm aware, I'm just spitballing here. :)

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

01 Aug 2018 12:12

It's being released on steam? Will it still be release on the website still?
I'm pretty sure he means it'll be released on steam first, but i'm spitballing like the last guy. :|

Sion
Astronaut
Astronaut

11 Aug 2018 18:14

Since so much is going to happen in 9.9.0, I'm wondering what we will see in 9.9.1, possibly 9.10.0? 

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

12 Aug 2018 16:07

Since so much is going to happen in 9.9.0, I'm wondering what we will see in 9.9.1, possibly 9.10.0?
9.10.0? there's no such thing, you mean 1.0.0.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

12 Aug 2018 16:32

Probably SE v1.00 will bring about a mostly (but obviously not completed) finalized single-player and multiplayer gameplay concept and release of the actual game SpaceEngineer initially wanted (see http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32 for the game concept and http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72 for the TO DO list).  If you are like me and have followed (and even contributed) to mods for other games, you should know that version 1.00 of a indie project is almost never a complete game. Its usual mature at about version 2, 2.5 or even 3.

The Planetarium game mode will probably never be 'finalized' and on par with real-life scientific advances since pertinent astronomical discoveries will always add new updates. I am not sure how updates to the Planetarium would affect the single or multiplayer game.
Futurum Fusionem

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

13 Aug 2018 01:59

I know someone who is 69. And a big fan of SpaceEngine. I would understand if he was impatient with the release of SE 0.990. For who knows, how many years he still has.
But he is patient and plays with SE 0.980 / 0.980_e until the release of the next version. That after all has also a lot to offer.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

14 Aug 2018 01:56

I know someone who is 69. And a big fan of SpaceEngine. I would understand if he was impatient with the release of SE 0.990. For who knows, how many years he still has.
But he is patient and plays with SE 0.980 / 0.980_e until the release of the next version. That after all has also a lot to offer.
Is this senior on the Forum?
Futurum Fusionem

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

14 Aug 2018 02:31

As an observer.
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

Fyzzie
Observer
Observer

14 Aug 2018 23:28

[quote="Propulsion Disk"][quote="Sion"][post]22046[/post] Since so much is going to happen in 9.9.0, I'm wondering what we will see in 9.9.1, possibly 9.10.0? [/quote]
9.10.0? there's no such thing, you mean 1.0.0.[/quote]

I guess he meant 0.9.10.0 ofc... and that IS a thing in a versioning system... the numbers do not go only up to ten where the ten raises up the previous number... we could also have a version 0.15.125.0 or such...

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

15 Aug 2018 20:27

But since we did not have a SE v0.8.10.0, it stands to reason we will not have a 0.9.10.0.
Futurum Fusionem

Fyzzie
Observer
Observer

16 Aug 2018 23:35

[quote="Stellarator"]But since we did not have a SE v0.8.10.0, it stands to reason we will not have a 0.9.10.0.[/quote]

That's not how it works... more to the left the version number is, the more major changes have to be made to increase it... so the fact that we didn't have 0.8.10.0 doesn't mean it's not a thing... it only means SpaceEngineer added new features with such significance that he raised the previous number...

Noone ever said any of the numbers can't go over 9... and it really doesn't work that way, trust me, I'm using it on a daily basis in work...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning