Ultimate space simulation software

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

General 0.9.9.0 Discussion

12 Oct 2018 12:58

So wait... SpaceEngine is going to cost money now??!!! As a long time supporter and donator I can't help but feel a little bit shafted. Especially since the $250 I donated didn't even get me access to the beta.
My System.
ASrock B250 Motherboard, I7 7700, GTX 1080 8gb, 16 GB DDR4 2400 mhz

Azirphaeli
Observer
Observer

12 Oct 2018 13:07

[quote="Starshines"]So wait... SpaceEngine is going to cost money now??!!! As a long time supporter and donator I can't help but feel a little bit shafted. Especially since the $250 I donated didn't even get me access to the beta.[/quote]

"People who donated roughly Steam price and more will be notified by email that they are granted the free key. After approval, we will send the key to them."

Like, one page back.

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Oct 2018 13:12

What ever happened to "SpaceEngine will always be free."? All I know if we're all paying for it now Vlad better hire a full team and start working on procedural life and civilizations ASAP! This just angers me greatly. Basically RIP SpaceEngine it was good while it lasted.
Last edited by Starshines on 12 Oct 2018 13:21, edited 2 times in total.
My System.

universe
Observer
Observer

General 0.990 Discussion

12 Oct 2018 13:18

a
Last edited by universe on 20 Mar 2019 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

Zoliparia
Observer
Observer

12 Oct 2018 13:20

Why is no one replying to my questions? Am I shadowbanned or something?

Azirphaeli
Observer
Observer

12 Oct 2018 13:22

No, not at all.

Space Engineer has dedicated a, quite frankly, crazy amount of time to this project and created something truly unique and wonderful. It blows anything remotely close to it out of the water. Some of the new stuff coming in .990 is leagues beyond anything anyone else is doing.

People have donated, and that's awesome, but it's still a donation. Vlad is being kind enough to give donors a free copy if they donated enough to have purchased the game which, let's be real, he's not obligated to do.

I get it, our free toy is being taken away (not really though, since you can continue to use the current version for as long as you want) and now we need to pay, and that sucks. A strong initial reaction to that sort of thing is... expectedly... negative.

The reality is, life is expensive, and time is valuable. If Space Engineer has reached the point where he feels his work is good enough to charge for the time spent creating it (and it is. Period. It has been for quite a few years.) then he is well within his rights to do so. If /you/ feel like it's not worth it, then you have the option not to pay and not use the newer versions of the software (though in your case it seems you feel like it's been worth it for years since you donated so much).

Folks need to cool the entitlement. About having to pay, about steam's minimal DRM and the like. Acting like it's a choice about greed? Seriously? Space Engineer laid out, quite clearly, the vast benefits of using Steam specifically the importance of their distribution platform which will make updates come that much quicker. You don't like steam? Alright, wait for SE to come to another platform or don't use it. If your support of this project hinges entirely on whether you get it for free and not having to use steam... well..  do you really care all that much? Probably not.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

12 Oct 2018 13:23

Starshines,I understand your frustration and had I have known you had donated that much I probably would have done my best to get you a key.

I hate to be that guy, but remember donations are something you give with no expectations outside of further development.  $250 is a pretty big donation and I am surprised you didn't receive a key, you probably could have if you had asked.  There have been a few individuals who have donated much larger sums than that and they haven't been given keys either.

Hopefully in the future, especially post Steam launch, we'll be better at giving out keys.
[hr] Zoliparia, we don't have shadowbans on this forum

The price hasn't been fully decided yet, my recommendation if you want to get a copy just make sure you have a spare Jackson laying around  
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Azirphaeli
Observer
Observer

12 Oct 2018 13:28

I guarantee that with SE launching on steam they will get more users, not less. They may have lost half their fanbase who don't want to pay for software, but they will gain fans from the exposure especially from people with VR.

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

12 Oct 2018 13:28

the Admins are on massive damage control right now.
Not really, just a loud minority drawing conclusions to things not even SpaceEngineer knows yet.
They've basically just lost half their fanbase.
Nothing in the community has changed besides maybe 10 people trying to get info, ask questions, and then out of those 3 are a loud minority spreading disinformation and causing drama.  The majority, which I deal with on a daily basis, seem to be just fine with the notion of SE being sold.
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @5Ghz - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 - GPU: MSI RTX 40​90 GAMING ​TRIO 24G
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Oct 2018 13:31

the Admins are on massive damage control right now.
Not really, just a loud minority drawing conclusions to things not even SpaceEngineer knows yet.
They've basically just lost half their fanbase.
Nothing in the community has changed besides maybe 10 people trying to get info, ask questions, and then out of those 3 are a loud minority spreading disinformation and causing drama.  The majority, which I deal with on a daily basis, seem to be just fine with the notion of SE being sold.
I'm just understandably very upset. I know my raging is inappropriate and I apologize. Just understand where I'm coming from as someone who has been a strong supporter of this project since 2014.
My System.

Azirphaeli
Observer
Observer

12 Oct 2018 13:33

Space Engineer already stated you are getting the game for free due to your donations? Why are you upset?

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Oct 2018 13:36

Space Engineer already stated you are getting the game for free due to your donations? Why are you upset?
I'm just having a bad day period. Me and my fiancee split up last night and I woke up to this. It's just not a good day for me mate.
My System.

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Oct 2018 13:39

And I am truly sorry for ruffling any feathers. I love you guys and Space Engine. Just a rough 24 hours for me.
My System.

Azirphaeli
Observer
Observer

12 Oct 2018 13:41

Might I suggest taking a break and and going on a cheer-up warpath? Sorry to hear about your day though, seriously, I know how painful those things can be.

A moment of clarity for you, though. Space Engine launching on steam for a cost is a *good* thing. More money means more development and greater features/quicker development. SE is already well beyond anything anyone else is doing for a high fidelity realistic universe sim. Imagine what it can be with a larger budget due to sales and more exposure due to being plastered on the largest PC distribution platform in the world, popping up in recommendations and catching the VR market.

it's good news all around for the project, and the news update indicates that .9.9.0 is closing in on release. IE: the thing we've been waiting years for. SE is not dead, no need to press F to pay respects. 

Starshines
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

12 Oct 2018 13:44

Might I suggest taking a break and and going on a cheer-up warpath? Sorry to hear about your day though, seriously, I know how painful those things can be.

A moment of clarity for you, though. Space Engine launching on steam for a cost is a *good* thing. More money means more development and greater features/quicker development. SE is already well beyond anything anyone else is doing for a high fidelity realistic universe sim. Imagine what it can be with a larger budget due to sales and more exposure due to being plastered on the largest PC distribution platform in the world, popping up in recommendations and catching the VR market.

it's good news all around for the project, and the news update indicates that .9.9.0 is closing in on release. IE: the thing we've been waiting years for. SE is not dead, no need to press F to pay respects. 
Thank you for your understanding. It really means a lot to me.
My System.