Ultimate space simulation software

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

General 0.9.9.0 Discussion

12 Mar 2018 22:04

My wife and I once done figuring out my storm chasing budget, for this year, as well as overhead for a research project, (deploying probes in front of tornadeos) hope to donate near 10k the cause give or take a little.. I am trying to come up with some additional holes to aid in some nice models for SE as well... SE takes up a great deal of my time. Looking forward to the new release.. I have some models I am looking forward to trying out in the release as well...I brought this up in Bugs and trouble shooting, please check out the thread but if this is a problem it needs to be addressed for sure as it would be a major bug to what is attempting to be a realistic simulator. I will ask here too. I have attempted to re create the apollo 11 mission, and when unable to do so became curious and found that at historically correct speeds, what should be taking me 3 days to journey to the moon at the longest is 12 hours.. I have used both kilometers and miles, I have attempted every possible method even just a straight shot. It has bugged me enough I have repeated this for 3 days in a row now which is about 8 or more attempts. ALL with similar results at the correct speeds. My troubleshooting thread goes into greater detail, but I hope I am somehow overlooking something but increasingly afraid that I am not. To make the trip in the proper time would require speeds that do not achieve escape velocity. I have even tried this away from earth and obviously using models with no main engines, little thrust, and no thrust. All explained there. I am hoping to get a few more minds to attempt this, in hopes that I am wrong, and if I am correct catching it in time to figure out the issue so it can be corrected....So I feel this IS VERY much in line with the topic of the upcoming release....But please a few of you check out my observations and post your results, and hopefully somewhere I am overlooking something.

MineCrafter473
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.9.8.1 = 0.9.9.0

13 Mar 2018 18:34

Will the award money for overview be partially used to fund development of space engine.
CPU:Intel core i7 8700k @ 3.8Ghz
RAM:16gb ddr4-3000
GPU:RTX 2080 8gb vram
STORAGE:Samsung 512gb 970 pro m.2 ssd, 1tb ssd

tornadotodd
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

13 Mar 2018 19:14

Are ALL nebulae planned on being changed to volumetric models, or are there just going to be a bunch of new models for procedural space? As far as I could tell from the test videos, none of the nebulae being shown were real ones, but I could be wrong. So are nebulae such as Orion, Barnard's Loop, Eagle, etc nebulas going to be changed to volumetric in 0.9.9.0, or are changing all current models to volumetric more of a long term project and likely be finished for final release?
As far as I know, the only nebulaes that are volumetric are procedural ones, since we don't have a math equation describing the models for the real ones.
Yeah I kind of figured he would have to build them all one-by-one, which does not seem like a fun job hahahah. Although, I did see some hourglass-like and cone-like nebulas in some of the videos. So maybe some can easily be replaced? I dunno. Maybe there is a way to contact various scientific organizations or agencies like NASA and ESA on 3D nebula and galaxy models. For example, the Orion nebula has been made into a 3D model for visualization. I realize there is no link on that webpage to the actual model, but there may be a way to contact the people who made it for the model.
That sound's like a pretty good idea, I have found that many people interested in SE or not are often more than willing to help or share their work, or aid in insight.

Sion
Astronaut
Astronaut

14 Mar 2018 12:28

Wow.... Sorry for the redundant post, but I just watched the video. I can't stress enough that I'm out of words. This game is truly beautiful. I honestly thought that graphics like these could only be accomplished in very short Clips, like the ones in space documentaries. This not only meets that, but at least to me, Looks even better. I genuinely believe that this was absolutely worth the long wait. This update is like night and day compared to 9.8.0!

Yuno
Observer
Observer

18 Mar 2018 20:01

[quote="Sion"]Wow.... Sorry for the redundant post, but I just watched the video. I can't stress enough that I'm out of words. This game is truly beautiful. I honestly thought that graphics like these could only be accomplished in very short Clips, like the ones in space documentaries. This not only meets that, but at least to me, Looks even better. I genuinely believe that this was absolutely worth the long wait. This update is like night and day compared to 9.8.0![/quote]

You say that like we actually have 0.9.9.0 now.. its still years and broken promises late. Partying early is always a disappointment.

DeathStar
Astronaut
Astronaut

19 Mar 2018 09:11

Wow.... Sorry for the redundant post, but I just watched the video. I can't stress enough that I'm out of words. This game is truly beautiful. I honestly thought that graphics like these could only be accomplished in very short Clips, like the ones in space documentaries. This not only meets that, but at least to me, Looks even better. I genuinely believe that this was absolutely worth the long wait. This update is like night and day compared to 9.8.0!
You say that like we actually have 0.9.9.0 now.. its still years and broken promises late. Partying early is always a disappointment.
For a promise to be broken, there needs to be an actual promise in the first place. I visit these forums somewhat regularly, and I know for a fact that SpaceEngineer's stance on release dates is specifically to not make any public predictions about release dates whatsoever. Even if SpaceEngineer said anything about the release date besides "I don't know" (which I really doubt) he certainly would have warned us to take the estimate with a massive grain of salt.

All of this is disregarding the fact that SpaceEngineer has no obligation whatsoever to make estimates of the release date, or even if he does, an obligation to fulfill them. No one here 'paid' for SE in any official capacity, at most people may be donating, which is supposed to have no strings attached and can be withdrawn at any time if one is unhappy with the state of development.

JackDole
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

19 Mar 2018 10:06

its still years and broken promises late.
The only person who could make a release date has never, never made such a release date! (SpaceEngineer)
If a date was mentioned by any other person, that person does not have the right to do so. (For example, the 30th of February)
JackDole's Universe 0.990: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=546
JackDole's Archive: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=419
JackDole: Mega structures ... http://old.spaceengine.org/forum/17-3252-1 (Old forum)

ianhoar
Observer
Observer

21 Mar 2018 21:34

[quote="Yuno"]You say that like we actually have 0.9.9.0 now.. its still years and broken promises late. Partying early is always a disappointment.[/quote]

Lurker on these forums but I just had to comment on this. Aside from the fact that no promise was ever made, where does this ridiculous entitlement come from. This is an absolutely wonderful engine that has provided countless hours of enjoyment for many and is pretty much a one man passion project. As a programmer myself I can't even imagine how complex and challenging putting something like this together must be. I see paid programmers miss deadlines all the time myself included, it's the nature of the business, but no deadline was missed here.

The new videos look stunning!

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

24 Mar 2018 19:51

In this new version of space engine, when I create a planet will it spawn moons like when I create a star it spawns planets?
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

25 Mar 2018 00:37

In this new version of space engine, when I create a planet will it spawn moons like when I create a star it spawns planets?
No
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

25 Mar 2018 00:38

Will the award money for overview be partially used to fund development of space engine.
Yes!
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, RTX 3090 24 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Coin-coin le Canapin
Observer
Observer

25 Mar 2018 12:59

Hi, Space Engineer, long-time user of space engine here.

These very last years, it seems that there is a regain of interest in space for the general public, maybe thanks to events like curiosity, rosetta, tesla…

Since you're a one-man company (from what I know) with very few people working on Space Engine, and the fact that Space Engine is a successful software that impresses many people, don't you fear an upcoming concurrence from a larger development team?

Space Engine progress has always, since I know it at least, been slow regarding my own expectation and desires, which is logical as one person can't do as much work as 10 or 20.
Because I am in love with Space Engine immensity, realism, and what I'd call induced poetry, I sometimes have hoped for the come of a direct Space Engine contender. Both because of the "proof of concept" that is Space Engine (a complex, beautiful and mature simulator by one human being) make me dream of what a similar project would look like if it was developed by a bigger and talented team, and because I guess it would, in a way or another, stimulate the development of SE.

What are your thoughts about this?

JKerman
Astronaut
Astronaut

25 Mar 2018 16:41

You know, I'm pretty sure no one would mind if you released an open beta of 0.9.9.0. As a bonus, you would get plenty of feedback on the software, as well as bug reports and improvement ideas.

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

25 Mar 2018 20:09

Do the galaxies look the same as in the previous version?
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

Nahor
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

25 Mar 2018 22:04

[quote="JKerman"]You know, I'm pretty sure no one would mind if you released an open beta of 0.9.9.0.[/quote]
Since SE is not open beta, I'm pretty sure that mean someone would mind, namely SpaceEngineer.

[quote="JKerman"]you would get [b]plenty[/b] of feedback on the software, as well as bug reports and improvement ideas.[/quote]
And here you just gave the reason why he would mind. (emphasis mine)