Page 89 of 97

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 18 May 2019 20:29
by SCP-10492
Now SE has a large number of users, we are very looking forward to 0.990, will be on the shelf for the first time to buy. SE can also be seen on various websites, which I think will increase the popularity of SE.

My old laptop system is 32-bit Windows 7, and it runs SE 0.980, but I don't use it anymore. In 2019, not many people use 32-bit Windows, and compared with these Windows users, SE users are very few, so developers need not worry about not supporting 32-bit operating systems.

(machine translation)

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 18 May 2019 21:08
by vlad01
Great news!

I doubt there is any meaningful 32bit users out there, even my retro PC from 2003 runs a 64bit OS and some 64 bit programs.

I would end 32bit support if it was me.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 18 May 2019 21:47
by Nahor
SFGameZ64 wrote:
Steam is one of the most popular game launching platforms there is. [...] After seeing videos and screenshots from inside the engine itself, new and old users will know that it is worth the money. 

Some people have complained about the use of Steam and even more have complained about the new price. Some of them won't use SE anymore because of that. A switch to 64-bit will cause a few more people to drop off. But my point was that the number of people lost to 64-bit would be a drop in the bucket compared to the ones lost because of Steam and the new price.

Personally I think those changes are a good thing despite the cost to the community. Those features (or non-features depending on the view point) should allow SE to grow more and gain more people and more than offset the losses.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 19 May 2019 02:58
by SCP-10492
Steam is one of the most popular game platforms in the world. When Steam is on the shelf, SE can add a demo version and a license, which can restrict functions (e.g. time limits) and release old versions for free download on the official website, just like the current download page on the official website.

Adding a restriction function will also increase the workload, but it will be good for SpaceEngine to release on steam. If new users don't want to spend money, they can experience SE for free. When it's time, they can choose to buy SE, which will jump to the purchase page of SpaceEngine in the steam store.

Operating system is not a problem, 32-bit Windows users can still use the free old version.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 19 May 2019 04:05
by Gallego
Space engine was previously advertised in greenlight, but since it closed does not appear in the store, does anyone know if its still announced by Steam?

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 19 May 2019 04:46
by N0B0DY
HarbingerDawn wrote:

Great news!
Nahor wrote:
SFGameZ64 wrote:
SFGameZ64:Steam is one of the most popular game launching platforms there is. [...] After seeing videos and screenshots from inside the engine itself, new and old users will know that it is worth the money.

Some people have complained about the use of Steam and even more have complained about the new price. Some of them won't use SE anymore because of that. A switch to 64-bit will cause a few more people to drop off. But my point was that the number of people lost to 64-bit would be a drop in the bucket compared to the ones lost because of Steam and the new price.

Personally I think those changes are a good thing despite the cost to the community. Those features (or non-features depending on the view point) should allow SE to grow more and gain more people and more than offset the losses.

I think going 64bit is a wise move and will actually increase the number of SE users in the long term. It furthermore warrants its price and its value as a pro application IMHO. Personally I don't like Steam but it is a wise choice to use it for its debut in the commercial world. In the future I hope we may be able to purchase it as an independent application from the SE site.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 19 May 2019 05:11
by Mosfet
Gallego wrote:
Space engine was previously advertised in greenlight, but since it closed does not appear in the store, does anyone know if its still announced by Steam?


It's there, it doesn't appear in the store because it's not public yet.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 19 May 2019 05:54
by SFGameZ64
Nahor wrote:
Personally I think those changes are a good thing despite the cost to the community. Those features (or non-features depending on the view point) should allow SE to grow more and gain more people and more than offset the losses.

I agree with that. It is a shame some people will not be able to use the new version because they don't have/like Steam, and I wish that everyone would be able to pay for it, but in the long run it is better for exposure and usability. 

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 19 May 2019 20:51
by Stellarator
HarbingerDawn wrote:
Source of the post If you don't like that, then maybe I shouldn't mention that the Venus map is entirely made from radar images...

Heh, yeah I know about that too. Defintely a thorn in the side of realism. I hope we can make a visible spectrum map one day.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 20 May 2019 00:59
by DoctorOfSpace
Stellarator wrote:
Source of the post  Defintely a thorn in the side of realism.


How? Radar and LIDAR are perfectly fine for mapping out height data of Earth
Image

In what way is this inaccurate? How would a radar map be inaccurate on other planets?

LIDAR map provided by Watsisname

Image

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/lidar#current-projects

Radar and LIDAR don't add detail that isn't there. If you mean color data, it probably wouldn't matter much for either Venus or Titan much, might be possible to make fake color maps as well.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 20 May 2019 01:32
by Watsisname
Stellarator wrote:
Source of the post Defintely a thorn in the side of realism. I hope we can make a visible spectrum map one day.

We'll get right on that.  That is, after we procure enough funding for a mission to image the entire surface of Titan and/or Venus from a drone flying beneath the haze layers.  Speaking of which, we are currently taking donations!

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 20 May 2019 06:02
by HarbingerDawn
DoctorOfSpace wrote:
Source of the post How? Radar and LIDAR are perfectly fine for mapping out height data of Earth

He's talking about diffuse textures, not height.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 20 May 2019 06:16
by Salvo
Watsisname wrote:
Speaking of which, we are currently taking donations!

I would like to donate, I second the idea.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 20 May 2019 06:42
by SCP-10492
Actually, if you say so much, you might as well publish it in a steam store now.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 20 May 2019 07:51
by stongduke
SCP-10492 wrote:
Actually, if you say so much, you might as well publish it in a steam store now.

You mean making it available for pre-order?