Ultimate space simulation software

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress 0.990

02 Mar 2019 18:14

longname wrote:
Source of the post Since no-one seems to have replied, may I ask this again?

I have no idea, and probably won't know until the same time you do - when it comes out.
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8 GHz, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Duke_Countu
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

03 Mar 2019 03:38

Will we be able to export these newfangled ray-marched nebula scripts like we can with planets? Say I find a nebula while touring the procedural universe. I edit it until I get it looking exactly the way I want, can I then export the script so I can place it whereever in the universe I choose?

Messier
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

03 Mar 2019 13:12

Solaris_ wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:
Large nebulae have other problem - blending with the galaxy. There is simply no blending, nebula just rendered on top of the galaxy. So if you try to look on it through the galaxy dust, the result will be incorrect:

scr00719.jpg

scr00720.jpg

This is not so noticeable on small nebulae. Similar problem exist with stars: they are rendered on top of galaxy and nebulae. It is noticeable on distant bright supergiants, which must be affected by dust absorption. And also very noticeable on all stars visible inside and behind a dusty nebula: dust does not absorb star light. This problem is very complex to solve.

Is that because of the nebula and the galaxy are rendered separately? Maybe it would be better to turn a nebula into a blurred 2D sprite when it's far away from the camera?

Or make it fade away the farther from it you go?
The only Astrogriff

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress 0.990

04 Mar 2019 10:41

Duke_Countu wrote:
Source of the post Will we be able to export these newfangled ray-marched nebula scripts like we can with planets? Say I find a nebula while touring the procedural universe. I edit it until I get it looking exactly the way I want, can I then export the script so I can place it whereever in the universe I choose?

Yes, of course.
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8 GHz, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

04 Mar 2019 11:39

HarbingerDawn wrote:
Duke_Countu wrote:
Source of the post Will we be able to export these newfangled ray-marched nebula scripts like we can with planets? Say I find a nebula while touring the procedural universe. I edit it until I get it looking exactly the way I want, can I then export the script so I can place it whereever in the universe I choose?

Yes, of course.

So that means I can create a nebula and use ray marched?
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress 0.990

04 Mar 2019 17:46

Macronicus wrote:
HarbingerDawn wrote:
Duke_Countu wrote:

Yes, of course.

So that means I can create a nebula and use ray marched?

Yes, I believe HarbingerDawn discussed this possibility in one of his live streams. You can also edit existing ray-marched nebulae through the SE object editing tool. You can make them larger/smaller or change nebulae type, from planetary to diffuse and stuff like that (at least, that is what I remember from those streams). I would really recommend people watch those live streams more, because Harbinger answers a lot of reoccuring questions there. That is the whole point of those streams, in addition to show-casing.
Futurum Fusionem

Salvo
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.990

05 Mar 2019 01:05

Editing nebulae would be very fun. I think trying to reproduce real-world nebulae in editor might be a quite entertaining challenge, and maybe we can use it to actually make a challenge like those we did in the old forum!
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress 0.990

05 Mar 2019 02:22

Salvo wrote:
Source of the post maybe we can use it to actually make a challenge like those we did in the old forum!

That would be very fun. Perhaps we can challenge the participants to recreate real nebulae, to make up for the lack of cataloged ray-marched nebulae :).
Futurum Fusionem

stongduke
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.990

05 Mar 2019 13:59

Stellarator wrote:
Salvo wrote:
Source of the post maybe we can use it to actually make a challenge like those we did in the old forum!

That would be very fun. Perhaps we can challenge the participants to recreate real nebulae, to make up for the lack of cataloged ray-marched nebulae :).

I'd gladly participate in that!
Can I have an order of uhhh randomly generated city lights?

Peacemaker
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

10 Mar 2019 09:50

期待早日上线STEAM!

Messier
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

10 Mar 2019 11:54

Peacemaker wrote:
期待早日上线STEAM!

???
The only Astrogriff

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress 0.990

10 Mar 2019 13:07

Peacemaker wrote:
期待早日上线STEAM !

Me too I waiting :) .

Messier wrote:
Peacemaker wrote:
期待早日上线STEAM!

???

« Looking forward to the early launch on Steam ! » (Google Translate)
Or « I waiting the release on Steam ! » in resume.
► Information

longname
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Work progress 0.990

11 Mar 2019 08:33

Peacemaker wrote:
期待早日上线STEAM!

Is there not a forum for Chinese speaking people?
Previously as "connorneal2005"
"I am a futurist. I don't want to believe humans won't become futuristic." - Me

silikone
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

11 Mar 2019 21:28

[quote][font=Roboto, sans-serif]- [/font][font=Roboto, sans-serif]Gamma[/font][font=Roboto, sans-serif]-corrected rendering of E galaxies[/font][/quote]

Is Space Engine itself even using gamma-correct rendering?
I could be mistaken, but a lot of objects and effects look like they aren't being done in linear space. I modified a shader to change the final pixel output, and a lot of things seem to look more natural as a result. Most notably, the moon has that classic hard boundary between its shaded and lit side, and the foggy space dust of galaxies becomes a lot more uniform.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

11 Mar 2019 23:33

silikone wrote:
Source of the post s Space Engine itself even using gamma-correct rendering?

SE 0.980 is not gamma-correct, SE 0.990 is. What modifications did you add?