Ultimate space simulation software

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

28 Feb 2019 19:37

SpaceEngineer wrote:
They may be as large as you want, but resolution / level of detail will be fixed anyway.

You mean there will be nebulas that's just as big as the Tarantula Nebula?
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

-eyasluna
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

28 Feb 2019 21:03

[quote="SpaceEngineer"]They may be as large as you want, but resolution / level of detail will be fixed anyway.[/quote]

Oh that's great news! I was stuck thinking they would be small with a fixed size
moons haunted

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

01 Mar 2019 04:12

Large nebulae have other problem - blending with the galaxy. There is simply no blending, nebula just rendered on top of the galaxy. So if you try to look on it through the galaxy dust, the result will be incorrect:

scr00719.jpg

scr00720.jpg

This is not so noticeable on small nebulae. Similar problem exist with stars: they are rendered on top of galaxy and nebulae. It is noticeable on distant bright supergiants, which must be affected by dust absorption. And also very noticeable on all stars visible inside and behind a dusty nebula: dust does not absorb star light. This problem is very complex to solve.

Solaris_
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.990

01 Mar 2019 04:45

Steam,emmmmm will there be a off-line mode in the paid version? My computer can't connect to internet all the time. :(
I'm always ready to see news,regardless what is it.

Solaris_
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.990

01 Mar 2019 04:52

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Large nebulae have other problem - blending with the galaxy. There is simply no blending, nebula just rendered on top of the galaxy. So if you try to look on it through the galaxy dust, the result will be incorrect:

scr00719.jpg

scr00720.jpg

This is not so noticeable on small nebulae. Similar problem exist with stars: they are rendered on top of galaxy and nebulae. It is noticeable on distant bright supergiants, which must be affected by dust absorption. And also very noticeable on all stars visible inside and behind a dusty nebula: dust does not absorb star light. This problem is very complex to solve.

Is that because of the nebula and the galaxy are rendered separately? Maybe it would be better to turn a nebula into a blurred 2D sprite when it's far away from the camera?
I'm always ready to see news,regardless what is it.

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

01 Mar 2019 06:17

SpaceEngineer wrote:

scr00719.jpg

scr00720.jpg

Well atleast we have giant nebulas now
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress 0.990

01 Mar 2019 08:06

Solaris_ wrote:
Source of the post Steam,emmmmm will there be a off-line mode in the paid version? My computer can't connect to internet all the time.

Yes, Steam has an offline mode.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Sion
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress 0.990

01 Mar 2019 09:22

Maybe just have it fade quicker than the Galaxy itself?

-eyasluna
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

01 Mar 2019 14:57

So im guessing the overly large nebula will act like ngc 604 in a way? It too can be seen from far out of its galaxy and through dustbands. 
moons haunted

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress 0.990

01 Mar 2019 20:39

-eyasluna wrote:
Source of the post It too can be seen from far out of its galaxy and through dustbands.

No, it cannot be seen through dust any more than any other nebula can.

-eyasluna wrote:
Source of the post Ive been wondering ever since the nebula have become ray-marched, what is the largest they can get? Im not talking Tarantula nebula size but most ive seen from harbingerdawns streams is they're mostly small in regards to some real nebula.

They are generated in a large range of sizes. Some are only a few light-years across, while some are huge (I've seen at least one nebula that's 150 light-years wide, which would make it one of the largest nebulae in the galaxy).

In real life, nebulae that are hundreds of light-years wide (or more) are very uncommon, no more than a few per galaxy in most cases.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

-eyasluna
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

01 Mar 2019 21:25

I guess im mistaken, but anyways that's great news about the nebulae, as SpaceEngineer said they can be as large as WE want, I thought he was only indicating that their size could be changed through the editor, which im guessing is also an option? Thanks. 
moons haunted

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

02 Mar 2019 04:29

-eyasluna wrote:
Source of the post they can be as large as WE want

SE is a scientifically accurate simulator, it doesn't care what you want, it tries to represent the Universe as it is :)

longname
Space Pilot
Space Pilot
Location: ∞/The Multiverse/The Universe/Local Cluster/The Milky Way/Orion Arm/Sol System/Earth-Moon/Earth/UK

Work progress 0.990

02 Mar 2019 06:54

longname wrote:
HarbingerDawn wrote:
Messier wrote:
Source of the post Asking a question about nebulae: can circumstellar disks appear around procedural stars now?

No, they are not finished yet. Circumstellar disks and animated supernovae were experimental features, not finished ones, and they won't be finished for this release (at the very least, supernovae won't).

When 0.990 rolls around, will we be able to turn on experimental features like animated nebula and circumstellar disks?

Since no-one seems to have replied, may I ask this again?
[dah<500,26>dah<180,14>dah<180,21>dah<500,19>dah<180,26>dah<500,21>]

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress 0.990

02 Mar 2019 16:05

SpaceEngineer wrote:
-eyasluna wrote:
Source of the post they can be as large as WE want

SE is a scientifically accurate simulator, it doesn't care what you want, it tries to represent the Universe as it is :)

Sick burn 8-).
Futurum Fusionem

-eyasluna
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

02 Mar 2019 17:35

[quote="SpaceEngineer"][quote="-eyasluna"][post]27305[/post] they can be as large as WE want[/quote]
SE is a scientifically accurate simulator, it doesn't care what you want, it tries to represent the Universe as it is :)[/quote]

I thought you meant they could only be large using the editor, and that the nebula I had seen in harbingerdawn's streams were the only size range for them. Again my mistake but that is a great way of putting SpaceEngine into perspective :)
moons haunted