Ultimate space simulation software

Messier
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.990

23 Feb 2019 03:53

Another question about Nebulae: will some nebulae have Wolf-Rayet stars at the center? Like Eta Carinae?
The only Astrogriff

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

23 Feb 2019 09:39

After analyzing the images from the last "news update", I noticed this.
Nebulae.png
Nebulae.png (128.54 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
These look like the Lagoon, Lemon Slice, and veil nebulas, does this mean that SE will have procedural nebulae that look exactly like real nebulae? Why couldn't vlad then just create Raymarched versions of the real nebulae? :?   

NathanKerbonaut
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.990

23 Feb 2019 10:16

These look like the Lagoon, Lemon Slice, and veil nebulas, does this mean that SE will have procedural nebulae that look exactly like real nebulae? Why couldn't vlad then just create Raymarched versions of the real nebulae? :?   
He says "used for procedural ones" just before those pics. If they were those real nebulae it'd make more sense to separate them from the procedural ones and and tell us "and here are some real nebulae that are now raymarched," but he didn't do that.
But even if they were real nebulae, surely some would be easier to replicate with raymarching than some others. These in the pics look fairly symmetrical. It makes sense to me that more irregular nebulae would be a lot harder to replicate. So just because some nebulae may be able to be recreated with raymarching doesn't mean they all can feasibly.
I like cute pokemon and space games.
My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173
Profile pic source: https://goo.gl/JdZX5v

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

23 Feb 2019 11:23

He says "used for procedural ones" just before those pics. If they were those real nebulae it'd make more sense to separate them from the procedural ones and and tell us "and here are some real nebulae that are now raymarched," but he didn't do that.
I meant to say in my post that sense those are procedural nebulae, that look like some of the real nebulae, then why didn't he use those procedural models for the real nebulae and make more for the rest, but the second part of your post helped to answer that question, so good work! :) Even though honestly, I don't think that I've ever seen a completely nonsymmetrical nebula, can you give me an example?

NathanKerbonaut
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.990

23 Feb 2019 11:37

Here's some examples in this article I found. Nebulae like the Mystic Mountain, Monkey Head, and the Coalsack are less like spheres or cones and more like big, smudgy smears. These are the kinds of nebulae I think will be the hardest to recreate with raymarching because they have no discernible pattern or shape to them. Recreating them would be like trial and error.

Of course I'm not the definitive voice about this. All this I get from my current understanding of how raymarching works in SE, which may not be correct since I don't have access to the beta. Just a disclaimer :p
I like cute pokemon and space games.
My mods: http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173
Profile pic source: https://goo.gl/JdZX5v

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

23 Feb 2019 11:43

Here's some examples in this article I found. Nebulae like the Mystic Mountain, Monkey Head, and the Coalsack are less like spheres or cones and more like big, smudgy smears. These are the kinds of nebulae I think will be the hardest to recreate with raymarching because they have no discernible pattern or shape to them. Recreating them would be like trial and error.
I might still try to make my own real raymarced nebulae mods though, even if it's "like trial and error." but anyway, thanks for the examples!

BambusDude
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress 0.990

24 Feb 2019 06:36

These look like the Lagoon, Lemon Slice, and veil nebulas, does this mean that SE will have procedural nebulae that look exactly like real nebulae?
These look nothing like those real nebulae. Except for the second one, which is actually ngc 6826. Its impossible recreating real diffuse nebulae with raymarch, for now.

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

24 Feb 2019 10:36

These look nothing like those real nebulae.
The first picture, the one that looks like the lagoon nebula, fits this description exactly. "it appears as a distinct oval cloudlike patch with a definite core." - Wikipedia. The picture I got is it turned on it's side. The third one that looks like the veil nebula or Cygnus loop, is the one that I can sort of get, but I never said that they looked EXACTLY like them though. And for the lemon slice nebula looking one,
Except for the second one, which is actually ngc 6826.
 I can see it being ngc 6826, but i'm pretty sure that ngc 6826 is supposed to be green, not blue, but I may be wrong about that. Also, you have to take different angles into account BD, the images could've been showing them ether turned up right, turned to the side, or laying on it's side, etc. But whatever, you can think what you want, but I personally think that these look somewhat close to those three nebulae.
Also, I think we're getting off topic...

Messier
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.990

25 Feb 2019 04:04

So SpaceEngineer's latest post says about adding stellar remnants to planetary and supernova remnant nebulae. But Wolf-Rayet stars can also exist in the centre of nebulae. Will they be added in as well?
The only Astrogriff

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

25 Feb 2019 13:55

Wolf-Rayet stars require a new class of nebulas. I plan to update nebula classification for next version, not for 0.990.

Messier
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress 0.990

25 Feb 2019 14:40

Wolf-Rayet stars require a new class of nebulas. I plan to update nebula classification for next version, not for 0.990.
That sounds amazing! Thanks!
The only Astrogriff

-eyasluna
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

27 Feb 2019 01:36

[quote="Propulsion Disk"]After analyzing the images from the last "news update", I noticed this.
Nebulae.png
These look like the Lagoon, Lemon Slice, and veil nebulas, does this mean that SE will have procedural nebulae that look exactly like real nebulae? Why couldn't vlad then just create Raymarched versions of the real nebulae? :?   [/quote]

I made this account just to reply, and I don't know/get this quote thing but if I recall from harbingerdawns stream all the procedural nebula will look different. They are made with certain models like planetary or dusty ones and then randomized procedurally, but Im aware that the omega nebula uses ray-marching also. Forgive me if you've already found your answer to this I just wanted to reply, it was bugging me for a while lol
moons haunted

Propulsion Disk
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

27 Feb 2019 06:51

I made this account just to reply, and I don't know/get this quote thing but if I recall from harbingerdawns stream all the procedural nebula will look different. They are made with certain models like planetary or dusty ones and then randomized procedurally, but Im aware that the omega nebula uses ray-marching also. Forgive me if you've already found your answer to this I just wanted to reply, it was bugging me for a while lol
Sorry for bugging so many people with that post, next time something like that catches my eye, i'll just keep it to myself. But you created an account just to reply to that? I don't really know how to feel about that. Anyway, the quote thing only works after you've made ten posts, why? I don't know. Also, I forgot that harbinger said that...

-eyasluna
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

28 Feb 2019 18:22

Ive been wondering ever since the nebula have become ray-marched, what is the largest they can get? Im not talking Tarantula nebula size but most ive seen from harbingerdawns streams is they're mostly small in regards to some real nebula. 
moons haunted

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

28 Feb 2019 21:30

They may be as large as you want, but resolution / level of detail will be fixed anyway.