Page 75 of 97

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 09 Jan 2019 02:46
by SpaceEngineer
There are a large New Year and Christmas vacations in Russia, it is a "family time", and I had just few hours to work on SE during past two weeks.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 09 Jan 2019 04:04
by A-L-E-X
Indeed, Christmas on Jan 7th!  Hope you had a wonderful one, Vladimir!

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 09 Jan 2019 05:43
by SpaceEngineer
I am atheist :)

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 09 Jan 2019 11:06
by Shaggy
[quote="SpaceEngineer"]I am atheist :)[/quote]
Well I'm gonna take my chances and bet that most of us here respect science enough to celebrate Christmas only as the family time! ;) I hope you charged your batteries to finalize things with steam release, cause I'm dying here, checking the website every evening. I need a new screenshot for a wallpaper for my new monitor, some planet with a nebulae in background would be nice... So take my money!

PS: Any news / release date predictions would be highly appreciated. :D

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 09 Jan 2019 20:46
by Stellarator
Shaggy wrote:
Source of the post Well I'm gonna take my chances and bet that most of us here respect science enough to celebrate Christmas only as the family time! ;)

Yep, that's the idea :).

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Source of the post I am atheist :)

It's hard to be religious if you can simulate the entire universe on your computer.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 09 Jan 2019 22:30
by PlutonianEmpire
SpaceEngineer wrote:
I am atheist :)

Just don't let the other Vladimir we all know and love find out ;)

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 10 Jan 2019 05:22
by A-L-E-X
SpaceEngineer wrote:
I am atheist :)

As am I, although more agnostic than atheist, but I dont accept the solutions offered by any monotheistic religion.  Some of the pantheistic religions actually have origin stories that are similar to how we believe the universe/multiverse/omniverse may have evolved.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 10 Jan 2019 06:46
by GP300
In response to Dr. Kali's previous post:

Reading the post you made about the question regarding more frequent updates surprised me a little, but it's unfortunately nothing new in the SE-forums. It has been happened before to others who've also brought it up, and now it's my turn:


Why do you put the word ”elitist” in my mouth when referring to the word ”common users” I used to label the rest of us who aren't in the beta (or dev) team, making it sound so dirty when I only try to describe the difference between a common/regular user and a dev/beta user?


English is obviously not my native language, which should be quite clear in my grammar and spelling. Still, when I try to use the most describing word I can to separate users from devs and beta testers I get mowed down with things like "we will not tolerate", "everyone should be extremely grateful" and "Please do not ask again" and that is to me quite a hard response to "Would be nice for the common users like us to also know what's going on".


There was no demand or requirement in the posts about daily/weekly novellas. I was just agreeing with the previous poster about more news for those who can't access the beta forums where all the talk is going on, from which I believe people easily can draw their own conclusions regarding the progress/status of SE. We only have this forum to go to, and to simply ask for some news after a month of silence is, at least in my world, nowhere near to not being grateful, being disrespectful to Vladimir, or not understanding how hard he actually works with this project.


I'm a user of SE since around 0.94 (and a donor, but who cares?) and the way a few users/mods have responded to me and others to some things in the past have been quite harsh, even on the verge of verbal assault. Vladimir, DoctorOfSpace and a couple of others always provide good and/or friendly answers to users, no matter their post count, level of involvement in SE or even if it's a question covered by the faq or forum rules.


About the word "elitist": There IS a difference depending on which side you belong to. I've seen users (mods/beta testers?) with several hundred posts assuming things about release dates and posting them here, getting a pat on the shoulder and being politely told not to post things that aren't confirmed yet. In contrast, many times before, both in the new and old forum, regular posters often starts off with the words "sorry" or "apologize" before asking honest questions, because they know that they can be snubbed off at any time for almost no reason.


I have hesitated MANY times to ask questions, knowing that it can be quite unpleasant to read the response if the wrong person replies. Therefore, I've mostly put my hope in frequent/known posters that they might ask the same question so I can get a proper answer, hence my low post count. Call me a coward if you like, I don't care. Posting this in here with my real online alias I've used for more than 20 years in gaming should at least to some people not be considered as being a coward.


I used to be quite active in forums back in the days when I played games like WoW, Battlefield 1942, Codename Eagle, to name a few. We had regular talks/chats with the devs at Dice back in the days (around 1998-1999) when the Persson brothers and a few others actively were involved in the community, developing updates for Codename Eagle and on some occasions even played online with us. Hand on my heart, I have never been hesitant to ask any questions in any of those forums because I've always felt like it's a natural thing to ask when you wanna know something.


This forum is almost a verbal minefield because in my experience, as soon as you come out of the shadows you have to tread very carefully. That is something I have never experienced anywhere before, or ever could've imagined a few people using SE would/could do to other people in a forum like this. Places linked to PUBG, CS and similar games have a huge crowd and there are many bad apples ruining those games and forums; I can understand it's a completely different situation there.


Here, we are a fairly small community with users who act properly; no swearing, no name calling or anything other than questions, answers and discussing things we like. I just can't understand why there is a need for some to "put people in place" for asking or saying the things that aren't in any way rude, insulting or disrespectful to anyone. It just makes me sad that it has to be this way here.

//Richard

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 10 Jan 2019 12:53
by Harge
PlutonianEmpire wrote:
SpaceEngineer wrote:
I am atheist :)

Just don't let the other Vladimir we all know and love find out ;)

Who? vlad01, or Vladimir Putin?

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 10 Jan 2019 15:30
by Mosfet
GP300 wrote:
Source of the post  I just can't understand why there is a need for some to "put people in place"

I'm replying to you for no particular reason other than seeing these questions arise now and then, and this post is for you all, really. It's also public, and indexed in search engines for what is worth :)
Some of us are english natives, some not. Use of some wording can be misunderstood, warped, sometimes sounding unnecessarily harsh.
Forum rules describe how to manage these cases, explaining how to contact management in order to look at the matter. Or just click on Report triangle on the message pertaining the issue. These rules apply to everybody, moderators/SE Team/beta testers included.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 10 Jan 2019 20:23
by Stellarator
Mosfet wrote:
Source of the post Some of us are english natives, some not. Use of some wording can be misunderstood, warped, sometimes sounding unnecessarily harsh.

This is true. A example that comes to mind is when cultural trends clash. In Russia for example, honesty in social interactions is valued, so they can sound rude to us Westerner's when they flatly state "You are wrong" or "What you said is dumb". Couple this with second-hand English skills in some cases, and I'm not surprised that some naive people on the forum can become upset about a response they get from a foreigner. A little bit of cultural empathy goes a long way folks!

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 11 Jan 2019 02:56
by Dr. Kaii
That's true. Also, the commoner thing was the only thing I mentioned about you GP300, and it was said with tongue in cheek. My main issue was the previous poster telling SpaceEngineer that he is not updating enough. 

You are right, we have a good forum here. All we are trying to do is keep it that way. Gaming forums are especially bad at devolving into strong negativity and complains about every small thing with an entitled mindset and it really becomes a horror. Sorry if I upset you, it wasn't meant to be personal, but I will do everything I can as a mod to make sure we don't end up like an Ubisoft forum :D

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 11 Jan 2019 03:21
by A-L-E-X
Even outside of language issues, there is often a problem because online you have a lack of context/body language that helps you understand what someone is trying to communicate beyond what just words can do.  It creates a distance that makes something seem harsher than it is and by the same token some use that to say things they would never say to someone's face (in some ways it brings out a person's true colors.)

I dont know anything about the dev/beta forums, but why are they kept closed and not open to everyone?  I belong to Starry Night forums and anyone who has bought a previous version of the software automatically has access to the new Beta and the forums, furthermore the new Beta will always be free even though the new version has already been released.  Silly Win 10 rules mean you cant install a beta and full release of the same program on the same computer for some reason though even if they are different versions.

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 15 Jan 2019 03:23
by Dr. Kaii
Hi it is a Closed beta. This is a very normal thing for games to do. 

Work progress 0.990

Posted: 15 Jan 2019 05:10
by GP300
After my outburst of emotions and the feelings I've had for a long time about this forum I was actually very reluctant to ever return here to read the replies.

However, I'm glad I did. Otherwise I would've kept myself in my not-very-positive state of mind and it would have been unfair to all of you who responded with the kindness/politeness I didn't expect to get in return.

Clearly there was some misunderstanding involved in all this. Like A-L-E-X said, it can often a problem when posting online due to "lack of context/body language".

My judgement was a bit clouded by negative things from past but clearing the air makes all the difference.

Thanks for the replies, especially yours Dr. Kali.