Ultimate space simulation software

Solaris_
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 06:22

The jets look fantastic!
I'm always ready to see news,regardless what is it.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 06:24

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I know it is being released on Steam but will it be released on the website at the same time?

https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengine/co ... ther_faqs/

Ziu wrote:
Source of the post If i have to run Steam online, to use SE it is useless for me.

Steam has an offline mode.
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

Macronicus
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 06:33

Jets on black holes. Never thought they would come to this version.
To a Galaxy billion light-years away from a Dark World.

Theloic971
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 08:18

I'm a french future developer and I want to say... WOUAW !
Will you hire developers?
Do you want to archive your discoveries in Space Engine ? Use my new website : https://se-archive-project.net/

eyaslunuh
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 10:49

Wow! I've only recently registered for this site but have been following the news since March of 2016 and its amazing what hard work has been done, and i can only imagine how much the engine will be updated with the steam launch.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3G, Intel Core i7 (7th Gen) 7700 / 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, 2TB SSD, 1TB HDD.

reicou
Observer
Observer

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 13:59

I will definitely buy it on Steam, but I have a doubt about something I read: The surface bases (I mean the ships that are actually as surface bases) can be placed on a planet and not move from there when we accelerate the time? Because I read that at last the bases could be fixed to the surface and they would not move when the planets changed their position in the orbit.

Will this be possible in the new version?

DoctorOfSpace
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 16:36

reicou, yeah it is possible, you can fix a station at any height including just above or embedded in the surface.

As an example I have stations in a fixed orbit above spots on Earth and Mars, the catalog looks like this

Object  "Earth Spacedock/ESD"
{
   Type           "Spacecraft"
   Model          "spacecraft/Addons/Star_Trek/EarthSpaceDock.sss"
   ParentBody     "Earth"

InertiaMoment   0.4
   Oblateness      0.249
   RotationPeriod  2.4e-05
   RotationOffset  42
   RotationEpoch   1451545
   Obliquity       13.37
   EqAscendNode    65.954
   TidalLocked     false

FixedPosXYZ    (6084.01599 5696.93175 2714.60808)
   FixedPosPolar  (-114.045802 40.534351 8765.807379)

Orbit
   {
      RefPlane        "Fixed"
      Epoch           2457799.03948
      PeriodDays      1
      SemiMajorAxisKm 7770.64
      Eccentricity    0.0006588
      Inclination     42
      AscendingNode   289.7221
      ArgOfPericenter 191.6700
      MeanAnomaly     13.3740458
   }
}
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor - RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 16:43

HarbingerDawn wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I know it is being released on Steam but will it be released on the website at the same time?

https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengine/co ... ther_faqs/

Ziu wrote:
Source of the post If i have to run Steam online, to use SE it is useless for me.

Steam has an offline mode.

Thanks HD, so there will be two versions if I understand correctly?  The free planetarium version which is how SE is right now and the game version which will be available for a small charge?  I wouldn't mind a yearly fee if it meant that a new version comes out every year!  20/yr is very reasonable!

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 17:50

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I know it is being released on Steam but will it be released on the website at the same time? I like downloading things from here.

No. This would require implementation of DRM protection and auto-update system. Maybe in future, if I decide to go out from Steam.
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Two suggestions for a later release, if I may, is there any way to include an H-R chart of all stars in a field of view, so if I want to find a star of a particular type or luminosity, I can just click on its representative pixel dot in the H-R chart and it will be highlighted in the FOV or vice versa?  That would be the easiest way to find the most luminous stars in an FOV or stars with unusual characteristics (white dwarfs, neutron stars, etc.)

This is really interesting suggestion, thank you! I will consider implement it for the next version.
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post The other suggestion was that I see you are including a separate area for real exoplanets, which is great.  Will the program include all 3,840 exoplanets discovered as of November 1?  And is there any way to do regular monthly updates of exoplanets which will run on program start up and automatically update with new exoplanets that have been discovered and assign them a type, terrain and size automatically based on the data we have on them?

Yes release will have updated catalog. But automatic update is impossible, because no online database exist. I mean normal database, without errors, in a computer-friendly format, and with all possible data known about stars. When I updating exoplanets catalog for SE, I always making a huge work manually checking errors, adding missing data by searching in other sources, adding orbits of binary stars if planet belongs to binary system. I use two databases - NASA exoplanet archive and exoplanet.eu, with a program which processes downloaded database files, but they have a lot or typos and errors, so manual work is needed.
But thanks to easy update system in Steam, I will be able to make monthly updates for exoplanet catalog. Monthly update is muck easier than annual, because less new planets were added to databases. Some interesting discoveries I can add immediately and push update to Steam just by a few clicks.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 17:55

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Thanks HD, so there will be two versions if I understand correctly?  The free planetarium version which is how SE is right now and the game version which will be available for a small charge?  I wouldn't mind a yearly fee if it meant that a new version comes out every year!  20/yr is very reasonable!

No, there will be only one paid version on Steam. Old 0.980 version will be available on the site, as before.

Stellarator
World Builder
World Builder

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 20:04

This year is turning out for me....
Futurum Fusionem

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 21:34

A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Thanks HD, so there will be two versions if I understand correctly?

Where did you get that idea from?
Ryzen 7 3700X, 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 22:43

HarbingerDawn wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Thanks HD, so there will be two versions if I understand correctly?

Where did you get that idea from?

No idea, someone on here wrote that (I thought that was you but not sure it was awhile back) that there would be a planetarium version and a game version.

A-L-E-X
Star Engineer
Star Engineer

Work progress 0.990

10 Dec 2018 23:10

SpaceEngineer wrote:
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post I know it is being released on Steam but will it be released on the website at the same time? I like downloading things from here.

No. This would require implementation of DRM protection and auto-update system. Maybe in future, if I decide to go out from Steam.
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post Two suggestions for a later release, if I may, is there any way to include an H-R chart of all stars in a field of view, so if I want to find a star of a particular type or luminosity, I can just click on its representative pixel dot in the H-R chart and it will be highlighted in the FOV or vice versa?  That would be the easiest way to find the most luminous stars in an FOV or stars with unusual characteristics (white dwarfs, neutron stars, etc.)

This is really interesting suggestion, thank you! I will consider implement it for the next version.
A-L-E-X wrote:
Source of the post The other suggestion was that I see you are including a separate area for real exoplanets, which is great.  Will the program include all 3,840 exoplanets discovered as of November 1?  And is there any way to do regular monthly updates of exoplanets which will run on program start up and automatically update with new exoplanets that have been discovered and assign them a type, terrain and size automatically based on the data we have on them?

Yes release will have updated catalog. But automatic update is impossible, because no online database exist. I mean normal database, without errors, in a computer-friendly format, and with all possible data known about stars. When I updating exoplanets catalog for SE, I always making a huge work manually checking errors, adding missing data by searching in other sources, adding orbits of binary stars if planet belongs to binary system. I use two databases - NASA exoplanet archive and exoplanet.eu, with a program which processes downloaded database files, but they have a lot or typos and errors, so manual work is needed.
But thanks to easy update system in Steam, I will be able to make monthly updates for exoplanet catalog. Monthly update is muck easier than annual, because less new planets were added to databases. Some interesting discoveries I can add immediately and push update to Steam just by a few clicks.

Thanks this is amazing!  I just made a Steam account, the monthly updates are just what I was looking for.  The cost is very minimal, there is commercial software out there that costs hundreds of dollars to do what you have described!  And they do not have the flight simulation features of SE!

vlad01
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress 0.990

11 Dec 2018 01:09

This is looking so awesome I Just had to donate some money to SE.   Go Space Engineer