Ultimate space simulation software

scruffygamer
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

08 Aug 2017 00:14

I just have to say: HarbingerDawn and SpaceEngineer, you guys are awesome!

You are developing amazing things in this game. 
Just someone.

scruffygamer
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

08 Aug 2017 00:15

^ And the rest of the developers!
Just someone.

Maurício Cruz
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

08 Aug 2017 19:39

Ooooohh, very ok, I need it to preview when's happen any eclipses... Thank very much...
Pluto taught us at least how creative the universe could be (DOCUMENTARY)

Teterrimo
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

08 Aug 2017 22:23

I hope that the accurateness of planet's orbits will be implemented before 21th August ;) Great job as always

A-L-E-X
Galaxy Architect
Galaxy Architect

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

09 Aug 2017 13:16

Past week (and weekend) I had working on implementing a precise planet and moons ephemerides. Today lunar eclipse:

scr00791.jpg

I will make a blog post with details after completing this system.
SE will I be able to input lat and long and use the program like a true planetarium program like Stellarium or Starry Night?  In other words be able to see the stars just as I see them at a specific point in time, accurate sunrises and sunsets, moonrises and moonsets, moon phases and proper positions based on my location?

Prof
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

16 Aug 2017 16:25

Whaat? This are huge news! Did you already start working on it or it is such an easy implementation that it can be ready in just a month? 
It could take less than a week, there are plenty of free astronomical code libraries exist for this.
So, how's this update with VSOP87/DE403 coming along? The eclipse is upon us, the hype is enormous, but couldn't simulate it in SpaceEngine yet. Stuck with Celestia, which is accurate, but looks far outdated...

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

19 Aug 2017 03:54

Captain Crowbar
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

19 Aug 2017 12:04

Great write up! Will there be a UI indicator for if the currently selected object is using an ephemeris at the current in-game time?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

19 Aug 2017 14:48

I made a patch for 0.980, which adds ephemerides to it, so you can watch real solar eclipses:
http://spaceengine.org/news/patch0980e/

PlutonianEmpire
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

19 Aug 2017 21:25

The IAU rotation models, do they include the gradual slowdown of Earth's rotation? Meaning, if I set the date to 1 Million AD, would the Rotation Period and Solar Day stats show a slightly longer day than today?
Specs: STGAubron desktop PC; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060/PCIe/SSE2 12 GB Vram, Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz, 12 cpus; 32 GB RAM; Windows 11 x64

Teterrimo
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

20 Aug 2017 04:40

Fantastic new update ! Thanks a lot !

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

20 Aug 2017 04:46

No, rotational model for Earth is a simple uniform rotation, as I wrote in the blog. It needs some other custom theory.

Quarior
Pioneer
Pioneer
Location: Local Universe/Laniakea/Virgo SC/Local Group/Via Lactea/Orion–Cygnus Arm/Sol System/Gaia

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

20 Aug 2017 08:56

I made a patch for 0.980, which adds ephemerides to it, so you can watch real solar eclipses:
http://spaceengine.org/news/patch0980e/
► Information

FastFourierTransform
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

20 Aug 2017 14:32

Since no one seems to want to say it, I will:

Vladimir Romanyuk,
Thanks. This is trully a masterpiece. I've seen how SE has developed for more than 4 years now. There have been moments that I thought you would encounter such big difficoulties to continue (coding challenges or life challenges since you were working on this and in you job at the same time when I arrived to this community) that I really believed the project would stagnate and never continue. I really though many times you would reach conformity with your work even if it wasn't perfect in some visual aspect.

But you have beaten all expectations. You are a coding master. I'm glad this exists because it has made me wonder about the universe in a new way and with new tools. No planetarium software, no space-sim has reached this heights (maybe there are unfrequent single features that can be better ilustrated on other programs), and all of this you have made it yourself, and olny yourself, from scrath, for free, for all of us. I have no words for this, is a great life goal that you are accomplishing without any doubt.

What I apreciate the most of SE is the inmense accuracy and realism behind every idea. Just an astrophysicist like you could have done that, just a scientific mind could have had the care to show the real universe, not the one we see in the documentaries and not the one we see in videogames.

Now I'm sure this project will go on for many more years, and you are going to create something that is going to change many people lifes as it has done with me. Thank you one more time.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

And now some other things:
  • First of all thanks for the perfect explanation, there is no better synthesis of what are current orbital theories in the vast expanse of internet :D and also congratulations for been able to include this amazing feature in SE without any FPS drop. You beast!
  • In the post you said that there is no perturbation model for the asteroids for example. We can't make an orbital integrator for the game that could operate in real time for sure but could we try to integrate in a separate program the orbits for all asteroids and then generate a file that we could download for SE so we could see the changes over millenia? I understand that this would require a lot of time, a lot of memory and doing a work that is more profitable from a scientific viewpoint than a plantarium software aproach but maybe... I'm just asking.
  • What are going to be your plans for rotational models of planets? I mean, for example, are we going to see Milankovich Cycles? true polar wander? precession of the equinoxes? nutation? Could those new degrees of freedom be implemented procedurally for other planetary systems?
  • Could we have tumbling asteroids? Or to say; non-principal axis rotators and erratic rotators? For example like the smaller moons of Pluto or some asteroids that have experienced recent collisions? Could that be implemented procedurally?

[youtube]zwSFC-aPEG0[/youtube]
  • Can we have an oficial addon in the future with the most accurate ephemerids? If I understood correctly, you took several terms of a fourier series that has been calculated from orbital integrators for many objects but you didn't included all the smaller terms that would make the addition quite huge in terms of memory. I really want to see how the solar system changes in periods over 10.000 years or further knowing it's accurate.
  • Could we have in the near future included in SE the actual orbits of some space missions? For example I would love to see Cassini's intricate orbital path and see the historic flybys. With the accuracy that SE has archived for the different moons righ now that would be a really awesome experience. It would be great also to see the trajectory for New Horizons for example and get to see in advance the next flyby target.
  • Finally, even If I know this is probably imposible, could there be some sort of orbital integrator in-game that with the accuracy that a real-time calculation allows could make perturbation models for procedural systems also? It would be great to see precession of the orbits of procedural exomoons or changes in accentricity in the orbits of some planets due to resonant features (but I know this would get SE in the realms of the Universe Sandbox capabilities, something you aren't currently engaging on)

Phantom Z
Space Tourist
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

21 Aug 2017 15:06

Can you please fix the water in these places?

It looks like we are drinking the great lakes of america