Free planetarium

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 13:12

Dr. Kaii wrote:
Source of the post Vladimir, for the camera path mechanic you've made, how about creating a "render" mode, that lets you turn the graphics to something higher than your computer can handle, then letting the path tool create a video of the path one frame at a time, letting everything render (including LOD) before moving on to the next frame?

This is already implemented since 0.9.6.x.x of whatever. In the current beta patch there is also a magic checkbox on the video recording dialog: "Turn graphics to MAX".
Dr. Kaii wrote:
Source of the post I was definitely having in mind to include a distance range limit with this, in a sphere. If you aren't too zoomed out, this is a nice idea because it helps you really visualise the stellar density

This is how the star map works.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 14:15

I am still working on HDR, also added some post-processing filters, like sharpness, saturation, color vibrance. And I remade the settings menu, combining them into a single huge menu with tabs (excluding keys/mouse). Not sure if I should merge keys/mouse settings there as well.

Here are some screenshots.

New "visual style settings" tab - confugure post-effects, lens flares, star style. The first "Photo mode" control is that previously called "Auto exposure". It has 3 options now, which names can disappoint, but had logical sense:

Auto - realistic rendering mode with a real (physically based) brightness of all objects - stars, planetary surface, galaxies. Automatic camera adaptation is enabled - engine choosing the exposure value by analysing the image brightness in the central area of the screen. User can adjust the frame brightness by the "exposure correction" (keys < and >).

Manual - the same mode, but automatic adaptation is disabled. Manual setting of the exposure correction is needed. Good for comparison of the illumination level on a different planets, and for taking screenshots.

HDR - the old rendering mode, when you can see planet and stars in the sky simultaneously. It is called HDR by analogy with photograph, because it is indeed "high dynamic range photo". In SE it is faked. because engine simply renders each kind of object with its own brightness multiplier (not physically based). This is what SE used to render the space before.

scr00529.jpg

Sharpness 0 / Shapness 1. Large sharpness value effectively disabling anti-aliasing. Maybe there are some better filters/algorithms for this.

scr00535.jpg

scr00536.jpg

Saturation: 0, 0.65, 0.65 + color vibrance. Fixes losing of color saturation caused by the new bloom effect.

scr00537.jpg

scr00538.jpg

scr00539.jpg

Graphics settings tab is very simple now. I planning to make it even more simple, with a switch of presets, like in modern games: Low, Medium, Hight, Ultra, Custom. Choosing Custom unlocks some controls (LOD, aurora quality etc).

scr00540.jpg

I also upgraded the old sun lens flare rendering method. It is now completely smooth: lens flare disappearing smoothly behind occluder, not instantly as before, when sun's center get occluded. It takes into account color/absorption of the transparent occluders such as atmosphere and rings. Lens flare mode "simple" removed - it is not needed anymore. Also rendering itself is highly optimized, FPS drop is 10-20, not 100 as before (excluding Astroniki, especially Astroniki 2  - they uses ~50 very large ghost sprites, this should be optimized). In sake of optimization all ghost/flare textures are must be merged into a single atlas. I made huge work behind this, now SE has 3 default atlases - Astroniki.png, Anamorphic.png, and Duality.png. They are 16-bit png now, because 8 bit images have not enough dynamic range for this effect. Modders should use one of these atlases, or make a new one; only one atlas per effect preset is allowed.

This is the Sagittarius A* system from 0.22 light years (~20 stars showing lens flares):

scr00541.jpg

And some bonus screenshots:

scr00496.jpg

scr00530.jpg

scr00533.jpg

scr00542.jpg

scr00534.jpg

Spacer
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 14:34

WOW!! looks amazing!!
this is getting better and better each post!!  :shock: :o :D
"Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still"
-carl sagan

NathanKerbonaut
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 14:52

In all my years of using SE, this is the best update I have ever seen! Take your time, I know this will be amazing...but hurry up! My heart can't take much more anticipation :D
Lover of cute typhlosions and space games. Profile pic source: http://bit.ly/2fiRJmW
My mods: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173
I'm Thomas988 on the old forums, in case you need to know.

Voubi
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 14:58

Space Engineer, please, stop, my heart won't survive any more Hype...
I LOOOVE Lens Flares, This is going to be the Best Update Ever...

On a side note, i'm not sure that simplifying the graphics tab this much is very good, I tend to like having many options to tweak...
But that's just my opinion...
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known..."
-Carl Sagan

Predatorkate
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 15:20

spaceengineer after that update for SE 1.9.8.1 I'm amazed O.O

Predatorkate
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 15:23

I can't wait  :o

Canleskis
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 17:40

Wow... Amazing job as always SpaceEngineer!

tRetro-Visor
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 19:35

the last screenshot looks absolutely gorgeous. I got nothing more to say
guess we won't be needing reshade now (And I'm glad because reshade gets good colors, but I can't record them in-engine)

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 19:38

SE straight up you should be charging for this- this is a lot better than any paid program I use.

A-L-E-X
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 19:41

by the way will minimum requirements remain the same for the next update (and for the forseeable future?)

spaceguy
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 21:04

SpaceEngineer wrote:
I am still working on HDR, also added some post-processing filters, like sharpness, saturation, color vibrance. And I remade the settings menu, combining them into a single huge menu with tabs (excluding keys/mouse). Not sure if I should merge keys/mouse settings there as well.

Here are some screenshots.

New "visual style settings" tab - confugure post-effects, lens flares, star style. The first "Photo mode" control is that previously called "Auto exposure". It has 3 options now, which names can disappoint, but had logical sense:

Auto - realistic rendering mode with a real (physically based) brightness of all objects - stars, planetary surface, galaxies. Automatic camera adaptation is enabled - engine choosing the exposure value by analysing the image brightness in the central area of the screen. User can adjust the frame brightness by the "exposure correction" (keys < and >).

Manual - the same mode, but automatic adaptation is disabled. Manual setting of the exposure correction is needed. Good for comparison of the illumination level on a different planets, and for taking screenshots.

HDR - the old rendering mode, when you can see planet and stars in the sky simultaneously. It is called HDR by analogy with photograph, because it is indeed "high dynamic range photo". In SE it is faked. because engine simply renders each kind of object with its own brightness multiplier (not physically based). This is what SE used to render the space before.

scr00529.jpg

Sharpness 0 / Shapness 1. Large sharpness value effectively disabling anti-aliasing. Maybe there are some better filters/algorithms for this.

scr00535.jpg

scr00536.jpg

Saturation: 0, 0.65, 0.65 + color vibrance. Fixes losing of color saturation caused by the new bloom effect.

scr00537.jpg

scr00538.jpg

scr00539.jpg

Graphics settings tab is very simple now. I planning to make it even more simple, with a switch of presets, like in modern games: Low, Medium, Hight, Ultra, Custom. Choosing Custom unlocks some controls (LOD, aurora quality etc).

scr00540.jpg

I also upgraded the old sun lens flare rendering method. It is now completely smooth: lens flare disappearing smoothly behind occluder, not instantly as before, when sun's center get occluded. It takes into account color/absorption of the transparent occluders such as atmosphere and rings. Lens flare mode "simple" removed - it is not needed anymore. Also rendering itself is highly optimized, FPS drop is 10-20, not 100 as before (excluding Astroniki, especially Astroniki 2  - they uses ~50 very large ghost sprites, this should be optimized). In sake of optimization all ghost/flare textures are must be merged into a single atlas. I made huge work behind this, now SE has 3 default atlases - Astroniki.png, Anamorphic.png, and Duality.png. They are 16-bit png now, because 8 bit images have not enough dynamic range for this effect. Modders should use one of these atlases, or make a new one; only one atlas per effect preset is allowed.

This is the Sagittarius A* system from 0.22 light years (~20 stars showing lens flares):

scr00541.jpg

And some bonus screenshots:

scr00496.jpg

scr00530.jpg

scr00533.jpg

scr00542.jpg

scr00534.jpg

Loving it! Guess you can call this update the HD update. :D

nonstopsuperguy
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 23:45

That picture of Jupiter looks like just that: a photograph. If you showed someone this they wouldn't be able to tell it was in-engine. Incredible work. When the Steam beta comes out I'm gonna politely ask you to shut up and take all of my money.
Universe of Possibilities

LiveLife42
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

14 Apr 2017 23:48

The new lighting system looks amazing. 

Fireinthehole
Space Tourist

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

15 Apr 2017 00:44

SpaceEngineer never ceases to amaze us! :)