Free planetarium

 
Duke
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 13
Joined: 02 Nov 2016

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

01 Aug 2017 14:36

ARBB wrote:
Duke wrote:
Source of the post I saw this work and many other works on internet. Unfortunately there is no good enough implementation of volumetric clouds which can maintain quality for all scales from space to ground. A lot of work need to be done to implement such system

What about his water?

As I understand from code his implementation is for plane. And yes I think proland implementation is better suit for SE, but it requires some opengl 4 functions.
 
User avatar
ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 45
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Location: Doom.
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

01 Aug 2017 17:40

Duke wrote:
Source of the post As I understand from code his implementation is for plane.

Correct, he is working on a plane simulator.

Duke wrote:
Source of the post  And yes I think proland implementation is better suit for SE, but it requires some opengl 4 functions.


And what is the problem with that? Does the engine needs to be updated? Also, in his procedural planet video, even tho the clouds don't look nice, the water seems pretty.
 If you haven't checked, there is a more close project with SE that Silviu Andrei made, here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/asilviu2008
I like rocambolones. That's why my avatar image is a seal transcending the limitations of woo'tness (Hamlet - Act 5, Scene 1, Page 12) and becoming one with the great turtle.
youtube.com/watch?v=7eKv4BEujFU of a seal.
I think I drank too much mercury.
 
Duke
SE Team Member
SE Team Member
Posts: 13
Joined: 02 Nov 2016

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

02 Aug 2017 15:28

ARBB wrote:
Duke wrote:
Source of the post As I understand from code his implementation is for plane.

Correct, he is working on a plane simulator.

Duke wrote:
Source of the post  And yes I think proland implementation is better suit for SE, but it requires some opengl 4 functions.


And what is the problem with that? Does the engine needs to be updated? Also, in his procedural planet video, even tho the clouds don't look nice, the water seems pretty.
 If you haven't checked, there is a more close project with SE that Silviu Andrei made, here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/asilviu2008

I mean water shader is working on flat plane, not on the spherical planet. And yes, for proland like water some parts of SE must be reworked. Also I saw Silviu's work. It was made on DirectX and it hasn't been published anywhere yet.
 
User avatar
Astrophisiclover
Observer
Observer
Posts: 6
Joined: 11 Jul 2017
Location: One planet of ARP 273

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 07:46

Salvo wrote:
ARBB wrote:
What about his water?

I think in the "planet video" he used a water that is very similar to the one SE actually use.

If you mean that wonderful water with waves and stuff of the other videos it's probably very complicated to be implement in SE, also because it requires real-time reflections and those cannot be easily implemented since water it's not a flat plane (like in 99% of games) but a sphere that covers the whole planet. So it's hard to see it in the 0.9.8.1 version, maybe in the next one.  :)

Parli ita?
 
User avatar
Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 179
Joined: 03 Nov 2016
Location: Veneto, Italy
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 10:26

Astrophisiclover wrote:
Parli ita?

Sì, c'è scritto sotto al mio username.
Se intendi parlare in italiano quì, boh non mi sembra il caso  :)
The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs
 
User avatar
Julian
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 55
Joined: 17 Dec 2016
Location: Bellevue, Washington, USA

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 11:56

Will the new raymarched nebulae still allow you to use cubemaps to define the shapes of catalog nebulae?

I realized from looking at LifeLive42's "Stellar" video that dust clouds in galaxies are still using sprite rendering. Are they going to be changed to raymarching in 0.9.8.1, or will that wait until a later version?
 
User avatar
ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 45
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Location: Doom.
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 12:31

Julian wrote:
Source of the post I realized from looking at LifeLive42's "Stellar" video that dust clouds in galaxies are still using sprite rendering. Are they going to be changed to raymarching in 0.9.8.1, or will that wait until a later version?

I realized that, probably needs more works for a galactic scale.
I like rocambolones. That's why my avatar image is a seal transcending the limitations of woo'tness (Hamlet - Act 5, Scene 1, Page 12) and becoming one with the great turtle.
youtube.com/watch?v=7eKv4BEujFU of a seal.
I think I drank too much mercury.
 
User avatar
SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author
Posts: 391
Joined: 17 May 2016
Location: Saint-Petersburg
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 12:36

Julian wrote:
Source of the post Will the new raymarched nebulae still allow you to use cubemaps to define the shapes of catalog nebulae?

No, they are completely procedural.

Julian wrote:
Source of the post I realized from looking at LifeLive42's "Stellar" video that dust clouds in galaxies are still using sprite rendering. Are they going to be changed to raymarching in 0.9.8.1, or will that wait until a later version?

We didn't even started working on galaxies.
 
User avatar
Julian
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 55
Joined: 17 Dec 2016
Location: Bellevue, Washington, USA

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 14:34

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Julian wrote:
Source of the post Will the new raymarched nebulae still allow you to use cubemaps to define the shapes of catalog nebulae?

No, they are completely procedural.

So does that mean catalog nebulae will still consist of sprite particles in 0.9.8.1?
 
User avatar
ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 45
Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Location: Doom.
Contact:

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 15:10

Duke wrote:
Source of the post  Also I saw Silviu's work. It was made on DirectX and it hasn't been published anywhere yet.

He posted it on his blog. Do you mean, the actual download for the engine?
I like rocambolones. That's why my avatar image is a seal transcending the limitations of woo'tness (Hamlet - Act 5, Scene 1, Page 12) and becoming one with the great turtle.
youtube.com/watch?v=7eKv4BEujFU of a seal.
I think I drank too much mercury.
 
User avatar
Mosfet
Pioneer
Pioneer
Posts: 578
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Location: Italy

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

03 Aug 2017 15:44

Astrophisiclover wrote:

There's a Discord channel in Italian, if you feel more at ease: https://discord.gg/NhQbEbC
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA
 
User avatar
Sion
Observer
Observer
Posts: 18
Joined: 04 Nov 2016

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

04 Aug 2017 12:22

I have an idea. I'm not sure how it could be implemented, but it's a good idea.

What if the atmospheric gasses determined the color of the atmosphere in-game?
 Gasses usually reflect different wavelengths of light, so it'd make sense to code the atmospheres with their constituent gasses.
 
User avatar
spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer
Posts: 173
Joined: 30 Dec 2016

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

04 Aug 2017 12:48

Sion wrote:
I have an idea. I'm not sure how it could be implemented, but it's a good idea.

What if the atmospheric gasses determined the color of the atmosphere in-game?
 Gasses usually reflect different wavelengths of light, so it'd make sense to code the atmospheres with their constituent gasses.

That's exactly what's happening in-game. Color of the atmosphere is determined by the composition + proportion of elements/molecules.
 
User avatar
JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 54
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Location: Portugal

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

04 Aug 2017 12:54

Sion wrote:
Source of the post Gasses usually reflect different wavelengths of light, so it'd make sense to code the atmospheres with their constituent gasses.

This is a common misconception, but a misconception it is (and Space Engine is kinda contributing to it). The color of an atmosphere has very little to do with what gases it's made of. It depends on something else altogether: what kinds of suspended particles and droplets there are in the atmosphere. Clean(ish) atmospheres tend to be blue due to a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering, which is very little impacted by what molecules the atmosphere is made of. The Earth (N2, O2), Uranus and Neptune (both H2, He, CH4) and Pluto (N2, CH4 and CO) all have blue skies, despite showing totally different compositions. The same goes for the upper layers of Jupiter's, Saturn's (both H2, He) and Venus' (CO2, N2). "Dirty" atmospheres show other colors, and the kind of "dirt" will determine the color. In the case of Mars it's its rusty dust making it pinkish; in the case of TItan it's several layers of hidrocarbon hazes (small droplets) that turn it orange.
SE now shows a number of different atmosphere colors that may make for pretty pictures (they do) but are largely unrealistic. I don't know what kind of particles (short of aereal phytopolankton, I guess) could turn an atmosphere green, for instance.
 
catvanbrian
Observer
Observer
Posts: 12
Joined: 14 Feb 2017

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

04 Aug 2017 19:39

JCandeias wrote:
Sion wrote:
Source of the post Gasses usually reflect different wavelengths of light, so it'd make sense to code the atmospheres with their constituent gasses.

This is a common misconception, but a misconception it is (and Space Engine is kinda contributing to it). The color of an atmosphere has very little to do with what gases it's made of. It depends on something else altogether: what kinds of suspended particles and droplets there are in the atmosphere. Clean(ish) atmospheres tend to be blue due to a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering, which is very little impacted by what molecules the atmosphere is made of. The Earth (N2, O2), Uranus and Neptune (both H2, He, CH4) and Pluto (N2, CH4 and CO) all have blue skies, despite showing totally different compositions. The same goes for the upper layers of Jupiter's, Saturn's (both H2, He) and Venus' (CO2, N2). "Dirty" atmospheres show other colors, and the kind of "dirt" will determine the color. In the case of Mars it's its rusty dust making it pinkish; in the case of TItan it's several layers of hidrocarbon hazes (small droplets) that turn it orange.
SE now shows a number of different atmosphere colors that may make for pretty pictures (they do) but are largely unrealistic. I don't know what kind of particles (short of aereal phytopolankton, I guess) could turn an atmosphere green, for instance.

does starlight play a part in atmospheric color

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests