Free planetarium

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 06:53

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post About the new naming system, there is a new candidate for exomoon that is nicknamed "neptomoon" due to it's size, so that could be implemented.

I sure hope not. It's a tongue-in-cheek nickname, used by the Cool Worlds lab people as a joke, the word itself is horrendous and to append "moon" to a naming system that deals with the bodies' intrinsic characteristics would pretty much defeat the purpose of the whole thing, not to mention how much more cumbersome it'd make things like searches for specific kinds of bodies regardless of position.
Last edited by JCandeias on 29 Jul 2017 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 08:53

Zymoox wrote:
Source of the post I apologize in advance if this is off-topic or has been answered previously:
Regarding to the golden/orang-ish "strains" on selenas, I was told they were probably a graphical glitch.
Do you know whether it will be fixed in the upcomimg version?

What do you mean? Orange palette is a representation of Io-like sulfur moons. Brownish spots are dark organic deposits.

spaceguy
Explorer
Explorer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 08:59

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Zymoox wrote:
Source of the post I apologize in advance if this is off-topic or has been answered previously:
Regarding to the golden/orang-ish "strains" on selenas, I was told they were probably a graphical glitch.
Do you know whether it will be fixed in the upcomimg version?

What do you mean? Orange palette is a representation of Io-like sulfur moons. Brownish spots are dark organic deposits.

Have an example? I've never seen a volcanic selena. ;p

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 11:33

JCandeias wrote:
Source of the post I sure hope not. It's a tongue-in-cheek nickname, used by the Cool Worlds lab people as a joke

Eu tenho certeza que não, era uma sugestão de nome.
JCandeias wrote:
Source of the post the word itself is horrendous and to append "moon" to a naming system that deals with the bodies' intrinsic characteristics would pretty much defeat the purpose of the whole thing

A parte da palavra ser "horrenda" e sua opinião, mas em relação ao sistema de nomeação, não vejo por que seria um problema, e a descrição de um objeto que tem um tamanho similar a de Netuno e que e uma lua, acho que por essa logica o novo sistema de classificação não deveria ter "Jupiter quente" ou "subnetuno" por que não descreve as caracteristicas do corpo.
I like rocambolones. That's why my avatar image is a seal transcending the limitations of woo'tness (Hamlet - Act 5, Scene 1, Page 12) and becoming one with the great turtle.
youtube.com/watch?v=7eKv4BEujFU of a seal.
I think I drank too much mercury.

Zymoox
Observer
Observer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 12:04

SpaceEngineer wrote:

For example, taken from procedural selenas on different types of stars:
► Show Spoiler

On February, I posted a question asking whether those "marks" were intentional or just a glitch, as at the time I had been looking for moon-like selenas (which would be completely grey, hence lacking those orange marks), but every single selena-type object I found had them. (http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=168)
However, as you said (along with several people on the topic linked above, whose answer I just noticed), those are in fact sulfur deposits and thus intentional. 
Therefore, is there a possibility to see stain-lacking selenas on the upcoming version (or even later on)?

SpaceEngineer
Author of SpaceEngine
Author of SpaceEngine
Topic Author

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 13:19

Zymoox wrote:
Source of the post Therefore, is there a possibility to see stain-lacking selenas on the upcoming version (or even later on)?

Yes, I also added script/editor parameters to control this effect.

Dr. Kaii
Space Pilot
Space Pilot

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 14:25

SpaceEngineer wrote:
Dr. Kaii wrote:
Source of the post True, that's a problem, but it fading creates a different problem. Sometimes I am studying it and it just fades. For example I want to watch the distance or apparent magnitude as I move, or I am reading through all the stats but it fades before I can get to the end. Maybe let us be able to pin it? Or something. If we really want it to go, we can just press the "turn off interface" button so I don't think fading is necessary

Better option for VR is attaching all interface to controllers. By pressing some button you will see a "info hologram" near the controller. I think this is the best option. Old style info near the planet will be used for compatibility with VR helmets with no controller (Oculus does not shipped with them by default).

Fantastic idea, I really like it. Just please make sure that compatibility option for no controller doesn't fade if possible. Space engine has a lot of functions and I find it useful to be able to have lots of buttons, so those VR controllers aren't always used. We sometimes still prefer to sit with a mouse, keyboard and xbox controller and explore, change time rates, brightness, magnitude limits, lens flairs, turn off/on the interface, bring up the detailed info, turn off "real planet brightness", change the MSAA in complex scenes, turn it back on...
Using the VR controllers is nice, but our main use is with all the buttons we can get, even in VR (especially in VR!), so being able to fix the info stats when we want to read them is a must. 
i7 7700K - 4.7MHz, Inno3D GeForce GTX 1080 HerculeZ Twin X2 8192MB, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz, CV1 + Oculus Touch

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 15:00

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post A parte da palavra ser "horrenda" e sua opinião, mas em relação ao sistema de nomeação, não vejo por que seria um problema, e a descrição de um objeto que tem um tamanho similar a de Netuno e que e uma lua, acho que por essa logica o novo sistema de classificação não deveria ter "Jupiter quente" ou "subnetuno" por que não descreve as caracteristicas do corpo.

Por exemplo: vai ao navegador estelar e faz uma pesquisa com filtros. Aí, hoje, podes procurar por "terras" ou "neptunos" independentemente do tipo de estrela e de serem luas ou planetas autónomos. Se o sistema de classificação reconhecesse como coisas diferentes um "neptune" e um "neptomoon" já não podias fazer isso, a menos que o SpaceEngineer tornasse mais complexo o algoritmo de pesquisa. De uma forma ou outra é complicar desnecessariamente o que hoje é simples.

(and let's get back to English, otherwise soon enough they'll all be raging at us for this exchange in Portuguese, and rightly so)

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 15:13

JCandeias wrote:
Source of the post Se o sistema de classificação reconhecesse como coisas diferentes um "neptune" e um "neptomoon" já não podias fazer isso, a menos que o SpaceEngineer tornasse mais complexo o algoritmo de pesquisa. De uma forma ou outra é complicar desnecessariamente o que hoje é simples.

Not nescessarily, in the search filter there is the "planet" and "satellite" (moon) tab, you could search for a hot gas giant and in the moon tab, search for "neptomoon", defining a moon with a size close to neptune. Exclusive object search for each tab could be implemented, also, the new naming system is basically puting as much information about an object in it's class.
I like rocambolones. That's why my avatar image is a seal transcending the limitations of woo'tness (Hamlet - Act 5, Scene 1, Page 12) and becoming one with the great turtle.

TheRedstoneHive
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 16:31

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but, where can I ask questions about the new version that are not related to what a dev has posted?

JCandeias
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 17:14

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post Not nescessarily, in the search filter there is the "planet" and "satellite" (moon) tab, you could search for a hot gas giant and in the moon tab, search for "neptomoon", defining a moon with a size close to neptune. Exclusive object search for each tab could be implemented, also, the new naming system is basically puting as much information about an object in it's class.

That's not what I was talking about. If I want to find earth-like worlds, for instance, I usually don't care weather they're planets or moons, I just want them to be earth-like. Your idea would complicate without necessity this kind of search and/or the programming needed to accomplish it.

And there's something else: in English neptomoon is ugly but works, titanmoon is worse, jupitemoon is even worse, but they still work (and it wouldn't make any sense if the only kind of moon to receive its own name were the neptune-sized ones). In Portuguese, we could still find equivalents that kind of work, although some would be simply ridiculous (terralua? titalua? C'mon!). Selemoon or selelua, though, it a nonsense: Selena, basically, means... "moon". Moon-moon? Do we really want to name stuff after a retarded wolf? And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there are languages out there where these things would absolutely not work at all. And, since the program has localizations and is intended to have more of them in the future, this has to be taken into account.
So let's keep this name as a Cool Worlds joke and nothing more, I say.

HarbingerDawn
SE Team Member
SE Team Member

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 17:33

TheRedstoneHive wrote:
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but, where can I ask questions about the new version that are not related to what a dev has posted?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=79
Ryzen 7 1700 OC to 3.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB VRAM
Posts on old forum: 8717

ARBB
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

29 Jul 2017 20:10

JCandeias wrote:
Source of the post That's not what I was talking about. If I want to find earth-like worlds, for instance, I usually don't care weather they're planets or moons, I just want them to be earth-like. Your idea would complicate without necessity this kind of search and/or the programming needed to accomplish it.

Neptomoon is a different class, if you search an earth-like moon, it wouldn't make a difference neptomoons exist, now, if you search for a moon with the size of neptune, it would be helpful.

JCandeias wrote:
Source of the post in English neptomoon is ugly but works, titanmoon is worse, jupitemoon is even worse, but they still work (and it wouldn't make any sense if the only kind of moon to receive its own name were the neptune-sized ones). In Portuguese, we could still find equivalents that kind of work, although some would be simply ridiculous (terralua? titalua? C'mon!). Selemoon or selelua, though, it a nonsense: Selena, basically, means... "moon". Moon-moon? Do we really want to name stuff after a retarded wolf?

Jupitemoon is nonsense, a jupiter sized planet would create a binary system. Not titanmoon, we just call them titans. Terramoon is just plain stupid, just use the normal "earth like moon" and such.

Mosfet
Pioneer
Pioneer

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 01:45

ARBB wrote:
Source of the post Not nescessarily, in the search filter there is the "planet" and "satellite" (moon) tab, you could search for a hot gas giant and in the moon tab, search for "neptomoon", defining a moon with a size close to neptune.

Or you could search for a moon "gas giant" with a diameter range filter around 50000 km.
That class seems redundant to me, if the only consequence I can think of for its implementation is that the diameter filter would be unnecessary in that specific case.
"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so". Douglas N. Adams
My mods | My specs: Asus x555ub - cpu i5-6200u, ram 4gb, gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram | IRC freenode.net canale ##SpaceEngineITA

ettore_bilbo
Astronaut
Astronaut

Work progress - 0.9.8.1

30 Jul 2017 01:55

from Blog post of 29 July:

"With 0.981, SE will be the first game engine which generates physically-accurate planets. The new model is also enables modelling of the planet’s internal structure: it is possible to calculate at which radius the iron core transitions into the silicate mantle, and what temperature, pressure and density are there."

Wow!!!
are you thinking of integrate also plate tectonics or this will be later?

P.S. there's an automatic metod for insert quotes from blog?